Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking in a KMART parking lot

I didn't know that Kmart has a policy of no parking unless your shopping. I was a hour early for an appointment so I thought where can I go. There is a KMART on sandy hollow in Rockford ill so I went there. Didn't take long before I was told if I'm not doing that I couldn't park there. These places are about all closed, with that attitude no wonder why. Anyway where have you had this trouble, I'll go to other places
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

As you said,,, no wonder they are about gone.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Don't confuse local regulations with corporate policies
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I must have walked out of our local Kmart more than a dozen times not finding ordinary items. Walmart usually had what I wanted but was 5 miles further.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

I predicted the closing of our Beaumont Kmart store a few months before it closed some years back. It began to smell like rancid popcorn and it was dirty. Management, if there was any, allowed the store run down. Items were disorganized and i always saw items on the floor that store employees walked by and just ignored. Sears is another store that is doing the same thing (except for the popcorn smell). It's no wonder they are in financial trouble. It almost seems like the company is purposely trying to go bankrupt.

I know that Walmart has a few faults as well. So far though, the stores i've been in have been clean and are being maintained. Customer service is good and it is certainly nice that they are RV friendly...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #6

Several years ago, I was driving regularly from Houston to Tucson. I had a couple of regular stops. One had a sign that said "restrooms for customers only." One had billboards urging people to stop for the clean restrooms - no mention of money.

The "customers only" had four gas pumps and was a lonely place. The "please stop" people had 99 pumps, and was a zoo.

I know some areas cannot allow overnight RVs. My point is that ugly, dirty, unfriendly and excluding usually results in solitude and failure.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

My wife calls ahead (the next two Walmarts) and gets permission to allow us to overnight in their parking lot. Also, NONE of them have ever denied permission to deploy our bedroom slide (king bed).
BTW I'm a member of FMCA and ESCAPEES.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

At one time K-Mart permitted overnight parking, however several years ago a rv owner parked in a store lot. He did not speak to anyone in the store. Picked up by friends they went to dinner and unknown what else. Apparently after staying out rather late, returned to find the rv gone. Went in the store and found out the store had towed it, not knowing why it was there. The owner sued K-Mart. So K-Mart said no more overnighting in any store lot.
hbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
in 30+ years of RVing, I've only been kicked out twice, once in Cali in 1991 and again just this spring in Miles City, MT. I kept driving through town looking for a good parking lot at 10PM and tried a lot at an out of business restaurant with a for sale sign. A local cop came by ONLY after a local resident complained about me - there was a city ordnance. He was very nice about it so I asked if he had a suggestion. You guessed it -- the local K Mart about a mile further down the road. Had no issues there (and it was JUST outside the city limits).

I think sometimes it's just a local manager who has a "thing" about RVs.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post

I think sometimes it's just a local manager who has a "thing" about RVs.
After seeing some of the things I've seen in WalMart parking lots, I can't blame store managers for having a "thing about RVs". We are our own worst enemies.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
After seeing so
me of the things I've seen in WalMart parking lots, I can't blame store managers for having a "thing about RVs". We are our own worst enemies.

I have been in Wal Marts and seen RV opened up with grills carpets and chairs out as if they were in a CG. It only takes a few to ruin it for the rest.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #12

I really wish WalMart would implement a 1 night only policy. Don't know how they would enforce it but I think it would help a lot.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't understand why RV'ers think they have the right to overnight in a stores parking lot. It is up to the stores to decide if they want to allow overnight parking. Some Cities have decided that they won't allow it which is also their right. Enjoy it where it is allowed.

Just my opinion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I don't understand why RV'ers think they have the right to overnight in a stores parking lot. It is up to the stores to decide if they want to allow overnight parking. Some Cities have decided that they won't allow it which is also their right. Enjoy it where it is allowed.

Just my opinion.

I don't believe that people think they have the "right" to overnight in a store lot. Some stores welcome overnight potential customers and municipalities meddle in private businesses and the lives of citizens.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote