Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Parking in front of the gas pump???

I don't know if anyone else has noticed an increased trend in people who pull in front of the gas pump, pump gas and then go in the store to shop, use the restroom, eat, etc. while their car blocks the pump for everyone else.

I've seen it with cars, motorcycles, and, yes, even RV'ers.

I realize some pay cash and have to go inside but can't you just move to a regular parking space and then go in a pay?

Maybe it's only a pet peeve of mine, maybe I'm too 'New Jersey' with a time conscious manner, but is there any more courtesy left?

Sorry just had to vent!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

I could not agree with you more.

My wife and I notice this every time we go in a station for gas. I think some of it has been brought on by the gas stations themselves. They have the convenience shops but often with a lack of adequate (or awkward) parking. Of course it could just be the self-centered culture we live in today. Probably this.

The other day I pulled in to the second pump behind an empty car. I filled my Yukon while my wife went inside to pay (starting to be afraid of these card readers in the pumps - had a card compromised). I finished putting in about $60 worth of gas, my wife picked up ice cream sandwiches, paid our bill, and came back to the car. Off we went, pulling around the empty car that was still in front of us.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #3

And they always seem to park at the only island that has a diesel pump. When I am fueling up and my wife goes into the speedy mart, I tell her to look for me cuz I'll be parked somewhere out of the way of other customers if at all possible. I feel bad enough that it takes so long to fill up as it is.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's certainly a pet peeve for me also! Very inconsiderate!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

I wish gas stations were just gas stations and 7-11's were just stores. Like years ago when I worked in one as a kid. I hate waiting for people that have to go shopping inside.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Rude people are everywhere!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed an increased trend in people who pull in front of the gas pump, pump gas and then go in the store to shop, use the restroom, eat, etc. while their car blocks the pump for everyone else.
I have seen worse than that.. But that's a long story too, here is the super short version.

Woman pulled into a parking space and went inside the store.
HER SON pulled up to the pump, blocking it, and washed the windshield, never touched the pump.

The older I get the more examples I see of lack of courtesy. Seems it's not all that common anymore.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
It's me me me me me now.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
While I have experienced the kinds of rudeness described above, let us not forget that a lack of patience is also becoming a problem. One person referenced how long it takes to fill up an RV. While that is true, you can often find people behind you rolling their eyes, tapping their wheels, looking impatient. Like I have any control over the pump speed. Sometimes it is what it is. We all have to be prepared to wait once in awhile and there are many folks who are so used to having things immediately, they have forgotten how to wait.
I remember crawling up a hill on the 101 in Oregon. Wasn't by choice, that was what my unit was willing to go. No places to pull off but there is more to that. I finally crested the top of the hill and found a place to let people get by. The first car roared by with the middle finger salute and some cursing. How long had he been behind us? A grand total of 5 mins max. That is how long it had been since I had pulled out of the parking lot and on to the hwy. Held to about 40 mph instead of the posted 55 for a whole 5 mins if that, how terrible for him.
Had a similar experience when I broke down in middle of Columbia River bridge (single lane) I didn't want to stop but I had an awning and all the connecting hardware that had been ripped off the side of my rig by the Hellacious winds flying around and threatening to impale oncoming traffic. I crawled up on the top of my rig at some personal risk in 50-60 mph gusts and wrestled it down and strapped it enough to limp off the bridge. Total stranded time on bridge, 5 - 10 mins max. What do I get for my efforts, a bunch of verbal abuse and rude gestures from people in their cars. I don't know if any realize that I literally risked my life in difficult conditions so as to inconvenience them as little as possible so sometimes it is really tempting to suggest to them what to do when they get pissed that things aren't exactly as they think they should be.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
While I have experienced the kinds of rudeness described above, let us not forget that a lack of patience is also becoming a problem. One person referenced how long it takes to fill up an RV. While that is true, you can often find people behind you rolling their eyes, tapping their wheels, looking impatient. Like I have any control over the pump speed. Sometimes it is what it is. We all have to be prepared to wait once in awhile and there are many folks who are so used to having things immediately, they have forgotten how to wait.
I remember crawling up a hill on the 101 in Oregon. Wasn't by choice, that was what my unit was willing to go. No places to pull off but there is more to that. I finally crested the top of the hill and found a place to let people get by. The first car roared by with the middle finger salute and some cursing. How long had he been behind us? A grand total of 5 mins max. That is how long it had been since I had pulled out of the parking lot and on to the hwy. Held to about 40 mph instead of the posted 55 for a whole 5 mins if that, how terrible for him.
Had a similar experience when I broke down in middle of Columbia River bridge (single lane) I didn't want to stop but I had an awning and all the connecting hardware that had been ripped off the side of my rig by the Hellacious winds flying around and threatening to impale oncoming traffic. I crawled up on the top of my rig at some personal risk in 50-60 mph gusts and wrestled it down and strapped it enough to limp off the bridge. Total stranded time on bridge, 5 - 10 mins max. What do I get for my efforts, a bunch of verbal abuse and rude gestures from people in their cars. I don't know if any realize that I literally risked my life in difficult conditions so as to inconvenience them as little as possible so sometimes it is really tempting to suggest to them what to do when they get pissed that things aren't exactly as they think they should be.
Thanks for the reminder!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

I pulled up to the diesel pump which was the middle of three pumps and behind another car using the last pump. Got out and pumped 50 gallons of diesel. The car in front of me had just pulled out and I was moving forward and turning to leave the pump area when I heard a car horn blow and this car pulled around me and then right in front of me so she could use that pump that was in front of me. She was just backing up to totally block me when I remembered I had AIR HORNS!

She made some really unladylike gesture, put it into drive and gunned the engine driving so fast out of the station I was afraid she would go out of control and hit something.

Then we drove 1 mile to a Walmart to do some shopping. I went to the service desk to return an item of clothing. Standing in line with 2 people ahead of me when this person behind me says in a loud voice "I'm on my break and I need to get ahead of everyone so I can make it back on time" and did so. Kind of wish I had my air horns with me in WalMart I told the woman standing in standing in front of me who was clearly madder than a wet hen "all the important things you need to know in life like sharing, taking turns, and saying yes and thank you are taught in kindergarten" Looks like that person flunked kindergarten." That wet hen burst out laughing and we enjoyed a good few minutes together.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
... "all the important things you need to know in life like sharing, taking turns, and saying yes and thank you are taught in kindergarten"...
They used to be taught at home. I was expected to show those common courtesies long before I got to kindergarten. Should I fail to do so in school not only would I have received some punishment at school, the worst of it would come when I got home. My mother and teachers were always communicating back and forth. Mom never took my side.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #13

Part of problem is gas station owners. You have to go inside to deposit money at cashier stand before attendants in this state will start the pump. Might as well shop some while waiting for grand total at pump. You've left the vehicle alone in driveway with attendant pumping the gas, (in this State anyway) and all drivers inside the store paying for treats and fuel.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Car Wash

I was up at the station yesterday and while the pump was running I observed in the other lane a young gentleman washing his car-(front to rear) using the stations squeegee, then he proceeded to dry it of with the paper towels He used them all and went to the next pump for more.
Not sure if he ever got gas, when he was done he just drove off.

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas