Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Parking in the Grass

Anyone have any better suggestions for parking in the yard? I plan on cutting some plywood to place under the wheels, is this the best plan or is there a better way?

Larry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
The plywood will allow you to kill a bigger patch of grass

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
But if your plywood gets moved it will be easy to see where it belongs.

Glenn
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parking on the lawn

Parking on lawn will pose a problem when it comes to maintaining the grass. If the soil is soft, I suggest driving upon sheets of plywood to prevent ruts in the soil from the tires. If your placing jacks down, I would use large squares of plywood that can be buried in mud and left there if the soil is soft. Placing black plastic, mats or other items under the RV will keeps grass and weeds from growing. Tall grass and weeds make a great home for mice and other critters. You can always move the RV/Trailer every time the lawn needs mowing.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
There are bricks that are designed with holes so that grass can grow. These can save your lawn.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Here in the South with centipede grass, the lawn under your rv will die. No sun, no grow. Don't know about where you reside. You do want something under the tires and treated plywood is a good idea. I parked my last unit on the grass with nothing under the weels and it sank down quite a bit. So not only did I have dead grass, I had holes in the yard.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have been parked on the grass all summer here in Traverse City, MI. Have plywood pads beneath the jacks and 2 x 8 under the tires on the driver side that were needed to drive up on to level out a little. Grass had no problem growing all summer. Was able to open basement storage doors and cut the grass from both sides to keep it looking pretty good. Only place I couldn't get that close was around the jack pads. Everything coming to an end here as far as the summer trip this coming weekend. Then have to head home. Oh well possibly we'll be able to go somewhere this winter. have to look the funds over first though.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #8

According o my owner's manual, storing the rig on dirt or grass for long periods of time is not recommended due to concerns about moisture seeping in under the coach and critters invading. They recommend utilizing or building some sort of barrier between the grass/dirt and the coach.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you have city/county codes against it, I would suggest you put put down some sort of pad. Concrete, gravel or construction grade fill. While I was down in east Texas for a year we parked in the inlaws pasture and hooked to their septic. I framed a 24 by 36 foot long area with treated landscape logs, put down weed block and back filled with three inches of Type two construction foundation fill. I used 12 inch long nails to pin down the logs and packed the ground using the RV. I used the plastic pads under the wheels. Inlaws are still using it for vehicle parking.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you've got a septic system, make sure you're not parking the rig on your drainfield!
The weight can damage your drain lines...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
If you've got a septic system, make sure you're not parking the rig on your drainfield!
The weight can damage your drain lines...
Darn good point to pass on, at least I was on the oppisite side of the house from the tank. Ever see 8 10 ft flexables on a hook up. Until I could get the hard line dug in, I wiped out Wally Worlds supply twice.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Best to park on wood for he tires. I put a tarp under the trailer to keep the moisture from under the trailer. Concrete has gotten expensive and so are tow vehicles, and it is harder to tow with concrete. The pad has to wait and the grass will grow back.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have parked on grass for the last 11 years. For 7 months without moving the MH. This Friday will be the start of the 12th year. I put down cement slabs under all tires and jacks. Raise the PSI 20% over the PSI needed for the weight, in the tires. Put D-con in some of the outside compartments. And check for any refills needed every 12 days. That is when the black tank is emptied. Not all the grass under the MH dies out. Far enough south that grass around the edges needs trimmed during all 7 months. It won't sink in far, because under the 6" of soil it is solid limestone rest of the way down.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ive bought the plastic orange pads from Walmart and used them to help keep her level, but they do sink quite deep into the lawn. I just got back from a trip this past weekend, and tried putting boards down and then the pads on top of that. so far so good, but I think the boards will eventually sink in the ground as well.
I'm safe where I'm parked from damaging any septic hoses. I think come spring I might pit some gravel down to help with the problem. I'm not too worried about the grass dying off in the area under the RV, but I do want to make sure the moisture is minimal. I'm in upstate NY and its starting to enter the fall season.
I use my weed wacker to trim grass around the rig to keep everything looking nice.