Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Parking Motor Homes in my Driveway

Not sure if this is the right subforum for this or not, moderators please move it to where you think it should be if not. (my disclosure)

I had my driveway repaved & concreted pads installed this week. I have 2 driveways, one to the main level of the house with the garage & one to the basement area.
On the lower section we had a 10'x30' pad with a 1/4'" drop over each 10' poured with 3600psi concrete 6" thick. This is where my parents will park thier 36' Journey when they come visit us in the fall & spring. They usually stay for 2 months & 1 month respectfully. Then we laid 2" compressed asphalt over the existing asphalt & 4-5" of asphalt where there wasn't any for the approach to the concrete pad. We plan on adding 30amp electric service also. In the slight chance my MH is at home when my parents aren't I will park it here also. My MH is usually always on the road somewhere.

On the upper driveway we poured concrete from the garage to the end of a poured concrete retaining wall, apprx 50' long and 35' wide tapering to 15' wide. We poured most of this at 4" thick but also added a parking pad 45' x 10' of 6" thick on one side of this pad. I will be able to park or do maint on either my parents or my MH on this pad. We then repaved the rest of our driveway with 2" of asphalt. I will also be adding 30amp service in my garage for the MH connection.

This has been a long time goal of mine & it finally became a reality. I am so happy. In the past parking the MH's on the asphalt always gave us a challenge due to impressions & the 2 way slope the driveway had. We always needed to raise the drivers front apprx 10" off the ground with 4x4's & 2x6". Not a good situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our House Driveway 040.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our House Driveway 043.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	5383  

Name:	Our House Driveway 051.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	5384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our House Driveway 075.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5385  

Name:	Our House Driveway 070.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	5386  
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dsbike,
Nice job, congrats. Did you consider 50 AMP electric? Is there water and sewer at the site for your parents? I wish I had that much property.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking

50 AMP would be better, it would let you run both A/C's at the same time. If you have a long run from the panel to were you want the outlet run #6 wire instead of #8 to the outlet.
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gave a little thought to 50 amp. I realize 50 amp ould be the ultimate chioce. However we thought the added expense may not be worth it since they are not here when both a/c's are needed. Sewer is not an option. What little waste they have gets dumped in the septic tank by bucket, but we can't run a line up the hill that far. Maybe a maserator pump is in the future. They use the house bathroom which is just inside the basement for showers and such. I have thought about water, no decision made there yet.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

50A doesn't add that much expense. You don't even have to go for the full 50, but do wire for 240V and two hot lines rather than the single for 30A. A pair of 30A breakers on a 240v line will generally assure the RV of plenty of power (7200 watts, vs the 3600 max with standard RV 30A power).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
paz

If you're going to add 50-amp service, make sure the line coming to the main panel from the street has enough capacity for the additional load. 50-amp service is really 50 amps to each of 2 legs for a total of 100 amps. You may need to upgrade service to your main panel first. Otherwise, go with 30 amps or 2 X 30 amps as Gary suggests.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
main panel is 200amp, however I will need to come from my subpanel which is 100amp.