Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

Parking with the Truckers

Blessed are those that can sleep with an undulating chorus of trucks and the crank-and-roar of refers, plus the "bla-bla-bla-bla" of jakes on arrival and the rumbling of departures.
I could never be THAT tired!
Campground where a box fan can "white out" all noise? Yes, thank you!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We never felt comfortable taking up spots at truck stops. There are plenty of other places better for RVers. The truckers need their rest and they don't have as many options for parking like RVers do.

Absolutely agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Parking with the Truckers

I've slept in manny Flying J's and Rest area's in my travels around the country, when I'm tired I stop - eat and sleep - Truckers don't mind at all!
Their Refers and idling don't bother either -Ga has the best rest areas of all .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having driven OTR, I don't like truck stops much, but the rules have changed and decreased the amount of time you can be behind the wheel. Today's OTR can only have a 14 hour work day, of which, only 11 hours can be behind the wheel. If you are driving solo that means you are parked almost 1/2 the day. As the onduty and driving hours have decreased, there has not many, if any, new spaces added for parking. I will use a truck stop or rest area if I am fatigued and can't find anywhere else to stop nearby, falling asleep at the wheel is a position no one should put themselves in. If you are at a truck stop, you get to watch the lot lizards, and walking salesman all over the lot, and a reason why I am not a fan of them.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I've never understood why so many truckers are driving during the day. Going up and down the 5 there are tons of trucks on the road during the day and few on the road at night. So not only do they make my drive even slower, then they fill up the rest stops at night. You can't convince me that 90% of all truckers need to drive all daylight long.

just sayin'...

Steve

Wow. I hope your joking.

Dave
1999 Triple E Signature 35.5
Cat 3126B
Old 08-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We just almost never park in parking lots. We stay almost exclusively in County, state, Federal, Campgrounds. In 23 months, with about 200 nights in the Coach-we spent 2 nights at a Walmart-and- we were grateful for it, because we had exhausted very other option.

I keep a weapon close at hand,while on the road, but I just don't feel safe in truck stops or parking lots.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #21

Sounds like truckers need to demand a per diem, an allowance for lodging from their employers, then they could get a room for the night. Sleep 8 hours in a hotel, get up and hit the road.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I get $40 for each night I sleep in my truck, plus my company will reimburse me for my showers, so I find a truck stop early. All of my deliveries stop receiving at 4:00pm. Get to a truck stop after 6pm and it will be hard to find a spot. If I stayed in a hotel I still would have to find someplace to park my 70+ feet of tractor and trailer.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most Flying-J truck stops have dedicated RV parking slots.. I have no problem with those.

I also use Wal*Mart and the occasional Cracker Barrel or other big lot store.

And the neighborhood MOOSE lodge (Have membership) helps too.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Wow. I hope your joking.
Not any more than I hope those saying "leave rest areas to truckers" are.

Steve
Old 08-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #25

Quote:
I've never understood why so many truckers are driving during the day. Going up and down the 5 there are tons of trucks on the road during the day and few on the road at night. So not only do they make my drive even slower, then they fill up the rest stops at night. You can't convince me that 90% of all truckers need to drive all daylight long.

just sayin'...

Steve
Steve, the driving(sic) factor is delivery time schedule, often anything within 10 hours of driving time must arrive prior to receiving dock closing time or pay a penalty. 11 hours @ 55 mph (I 5) = approx. 550 miles from origin to next stop/ destination, in a state with the most inbound cargo in the nation.
I never over-night at a rest stop, I leave that for semi's and find a WalMart or Cracker Barrel or large shopping center. I stopped at a WM one evening, parked where I was directed, awoke next morning to discover 3 semi's and 2 MH's parked beside me, never heard them roll in.
Parking for truckers has gotten so scarce, TA now has call ahead parking reservations. Truckers are working to make a living, we are living to enjoy our retirement. Most truck stops have only back-ins which eliminates MH w/towed parking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #26

Let's say that you pull off to a Rest Stop and every truck/RV space is taken, all the way down the ramp to the expressway. the CARS parking lot is pretty open.
Have you ever pulled into the Car parking lot in your MH to rest when you couldn't find a spot elsewhere? Were you ever rousted about it?
Old 08-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #27
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have sometimes parked in rest areas on the car side when I could see that there was not many cars there and I could be a good distance away from the pavilion & restrooms which the cars use. That said, I am usually stopping at 10 or 11 pm and it is pretty obvious that I wouldn't be impacting the car parking. No one has ever said anything.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

just sayin'...

Steve
Along with all those cars and Rv's that are out there in the daytime!! Sheesh!

I've been on the road in a truck for many years and now in an RV. When I drove truck I had to put up with many Boneheads in RVs cars and trucks too. Now it is still the same. Relax and enjoy the view, traffic is everywhere!!