Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LOL! I didn't say you ought to like him, just that it makes no difference as far as doing business with CW (or not). I'm solidly in the "avoid CW" camp myself! Lemonis is just another mega-business guy, maneuvering for the max profit. Surely nobody thought that he, or anyone else in GS/CW management, is out for anything except maximum profit?

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you think he is a gozillionaire now just wait until they release the IPO. Rumor is that is what he is doing. Get em out the door, after sale service is a money pit.

Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
So why doesn't he just stick to his Good Sam products that are so profitable for him, and leave the small business that actually have a passion for MHs alone? He is just a conqueror for profit, with no regard for the outcome. They are a dime a dozen in this country anymore.
Just 2 quick consideration on your points.

Re: Good Sam / Camping World - they are cross business enablers, he needs them to be together to be successful with either.

As for buying out smaller dealers - it is the owner of the small dealer that makes the decision to sell out to CW. Often, these dealers (like many other small / private businesses these days) are getting where the 3rd generation (common scenario) has no interest in the old family business. So, they sell out, very simply, and take the money. CW just happens to have big pockets..... Unfortunately, not only with RV dealers and CW, but other businesses that go through the same thing, the new business model and culture become a challenge for those left behind while the original owner has his money and he and his family are happy....

Unfortunately as you noted, a good outcome for the employees and customers is often sacrificed for profit (no pun intended) on both ends.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
If you think he is a gozillionaire now just wait until they release the IPO. Rumor is that is what he is doing. Get em out the door, after sale service is a money pit.
The IPO was earlier this week, hence the video / story............
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #19

Didn't he say he hates motorhomes ?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LOL! I didn't say you ought to like him, just that it makes no difference as far as doing business with CW (or not). I'm solidly in the "avoid CW" camp myself! Lemonis is just another mega-business guy, maneuvering for the max profit. Surely nobody thought that he, or anyone else in GS/CW management, is out for anything except maximum profit?
hahaha - ya that's true!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Just 2 quick consideration on your points.

Re: Good Sam / Camping World - they are cross business enablers, he needs them to be together to be successful with either.

As for buying out smaller dealers - it is the owner of the small dealer that makes the decision to sell out to CW. Often, these dealers (like many other small / private businesses these days) are getting where the 3rd generation (common scenario) has no interest in the old family business. So, they sell out, very simply, and take the money. CW just happens to have big pockets..... Unfortunately, not only with RV dealers and CW, but other businesses that go through the same thing, the new business model and culture become a challenge for those left behind while the original owner has his money and he and his family are happy....

Unfortunately as you noted, a good outcome for the employees and customers is often sacrificed for profit (no pun intended) on both ends.

Regards
You are right, I agree. In fact, your scenario may have very well been the case on my Dealership, and it certainly is with the company I work for.

I always liked Good Sam, still have many of their products. Shopped at Camping World for accessories occassionally - but always had bad experience with install so I stopped. But now that it is a Dealership - it is horrid.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #22
Happy Traveler : )

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I guess I don't see what difference it makes what the CEO likes or dislikes. Warren Buffet owns Forest River and he isn't an RVer either. People generally own businesses to make money, not to promote a lifestyle or enjoy a product.

Lemonis merely says that motorhomes aren't as profitable as other products CW sells. Low volume and low profit margin are not an attractive product attributes for a retail business.

I agree, and as a business owner myself, I understand that businesses are in business to make a profit, else they certainly will not be able to provide any customer service of any sort to anyone. A profit means that they are providing a service and/or product people are willing to buy, and their cost to provide those services/products is lower than what they are charging.

Companies are free to choose any path or direction they choose.
Customers are free to choose whatever company they choose to do business with - companies can't MAKE them.

We don't have to do business with anyone, anywhere, anytime, unless WE choose to do so.

Apparently a LOT of people choose to do business with Camping World.
Go Marcus.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #23

Car dealers hate cars too. No news flash there. They go through tons of effort to make $1200 per vehicle and if it sits on the lot more than 90 days they don't even make that. They also make all their money selling warranties, performing warranty work they bill the factory for and performing service for paying customers as well as selling them tires and parts. Same business model and the same results. Some dealerships are better than others to get parts and service from.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya, we could only WISH we were that free When you take out the competition or buy it and liquidate it, the consumers choices are much less of a free choice.

I really wish I was free to go buy a Saturn Sky or Pontiac Soltice, but somebody took that freedom of choice away so they could save their own butts after poor management of their empire.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #25
RVM1

If there is a situation that upsets me, I must solve it or let it go.
I choose the latter solution for this case, lest I pound my fists until they turn pink!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #26

From my 24 years in the automobile business, I know how hard it is to run one big car dealership. Good general managers are so hard to find--especially when they need to have class, high integrity and motivational qualities.

Finding an individual to properly manage 10 or 15 automobile dealerships is just about impossible. And finding a general manager to handle a 100 dealer mega chain is even harder--one in a million. We're talking ultra high pressure operations.

I relate the RV business to being somewhat like the car business. A medium size car dealer might sell 50 cars and trucks per month and business is stable 12 months out of the year. And their expenses are quite expensive.

A large RV dealers might sell 50 units a year, and their season is roughly March until August. Their expenses are just as high as that car dealership. There's no $100 over cost deals in the world of RV's. And finding high quality general managers in the RV business is another impossible task. Just finding a good service department is extremely rare.

When you take into consideration that Camping World has over 100 dealerships all over the country, you can understand they're a very poorly managed operation. Mr. Lemonis is obviously dressing up this pig with lipstick in order to sell it to a Hedge Fund that knows nothing about the RV business.

I just wonder what Hedge Fund owns Mr. Lemonis--prior to the IPO. You don't think he'd put his own money into a business he knows nothing about and one that's inherently poorly run--do you?
Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #27

The guy is a douchebag, he is only in it for his own profit, and the hell with every one else.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Finding an individual to properly manage 10 or 15 automobile dealerships is just about impossible. And finding a general manager to handle a 100 dealer mega chain is even harder--one in a million. We're talking ultra high pressure operations.
I agree with you.

Just a personal observation, I find that the part left unspoken is "At the wages were paying". For example, "it's hard to find pilots" at $27k per year. Or "We can't find good technicians" at $11 per hour and so on. A company that has 100% markup complains about not find good associates at minimum wage. I am reminded of the airline that hired flight attendants then was aghast that they applied for welfare, received it and told people about it.

People like Lemois who says it's all about the money really mean it's about their money, not yours.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, rvs