Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Part time insurance ??

I have heard about insurance for our RVs that can be suspended during winter storage and the restarted when you get out in the spring.
Sounds like a good deal if it's not radically expensive.
Does anyone know, or have this type of insurance?
Everytime I walk to the post office to mail my payment I have to pass my lonesome baby, it kills me to pay for insurance that is not being used.

Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Most insurance companies will remove the "collision" while your MH is in storage. That leaves, Fire, theft, and comp in place. Cally your company to ask if they do so as well.

D J Buschini
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure if this is still in affect but in the state of GA if you don't carry minimum coverage on a registered vehicle the insurance company that was covering the vehicle is required to send a notice to the state. When the state receives this notice and they do not receive notice that you have coverage under a new insurance company they will suspend your drivers license.

So check your state laws before canceling your insurance.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

We take the insurance off the motorhome when not using it over the winter. We didn't take the insur off this winter because we are using it but did take ins off one of the cars. Insurance companies dont advertise this for obvious reason so give em a call and ask.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not cancelling your insurance but rather changing your coverage. some insurance companies balk if you have a lien---but for the most part you can remove your collision, change your deductables etc and greatly reduce the cost of insurance when in storage. We do on the MH and the car we leave at home when gone for four/five months. Basically we have comprehensive on the car, fire, theft, that sort of coverage w/o collission because we are not driving the vehicle. Big savings by the way.

Make sure you reinstate before you move your vehicle out of storage as much as a foot w/o full coverage.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when we had allstate they would remove the collision portion while it was at home in storage, if we wanted to go camping i just called the 800 number and it was put back in full force.

it saved about 50 a month

now with farm bureau the rates are so low, i never change it
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #7

I remove liability, keeping only comp during storage. Drops my insurance down quite a bit. One call after spring and the full policy goes into effect again. You don't need collision while in storage. Liability is the word here.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is a lien holder on your motorhome, you might want to check with them before cancelling any coverages. Some require full coverage of the unit regardless of being parked.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

i change my coverage during the off season. in va i have to call the DMV and deactivate my tags then call my ins co drop everything except my comp. when i get ready to go i call the ins co and restart the coverage then the DMV to reactivate. i can do this as often as needed
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #10

Larry:

See my reply on the "other" Forum.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I saw this thread; I had forgotten that our insurance agent (Allstate) told me that we can drop/add collision and liability depending on when the moho is in storage. (I would hate to suspend coverage then leave on a trip, forgetting to reinstate it...yikes.)
Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We suspend the road coverage whenever ours is in storage. Takes a simple phone call to get it reinstated when it's back on the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance