Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

passport america

Who can tell me more about passport America. I went to there site to check out camp grounds and i see there are many you can only use Sunday to Thursday. Are there any out there that you can use Thursday to Monday or Tuesday and are there any you can stay a week or more with the 50% off.
Thank You
jtjt
jtjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
On a 7500 mi, 2 month trip to the NW and back this summer, we were only able to use PPA once. Every other PPA campground we stayed in had blackouts from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Probably will not renew next year.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Over a year we have only used it once. Most CGs that accept PPA heavily restrict their use. Generally 50% off 1 night only. All have blackouts depending on the local area and any local events as well as Holidays and/or peak seasons. ie: Forget any PPA discounts in Florida during the winter, anywhere in the Black Hills during the bike rally, etc. The only CGs I've found that will give multiple day discounts are run down and never fill up anyway and of course those that have peak and off-peak seasons. Like Florida in August and Alaska in January

We are not renewing this year. The aggravation of trying to use it is just not worth it to us. If you visit a lot of CGs in a year and do some homework, it certainly can pay for it self and a lot more (in theory).
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

When we got our Pop-up in 2005, a friend recommended it to us. Back then, it wasn't to bad. Now its so heavily restricted, we didn't bother to renew.
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have PA now going on 4 years. It's great for travel even with the 1 night restrictions as we are just stopping off for the night anyway. If a place that normally charges $40 a night gives you a 50% discount for one night, after 3+ nights you have a 100% return on you investment. I don't think that's a bad deal.

As for the restrictions, yes, depending on geographic location because of "seasonal" camping. Example: go to the NE and between May and October you will not find to many that give the discount, but prior to May and after October the discounts kick back in. So, if PA is to be used in those areas, one must plan aehad. (SP on purpose.)

The South, South East, and some parts of the South West have broader discount periods with some offering unlimited stays. You just have to take the good with the bad.

I just renewed for 3 years.

If you do decide to get PA, I'd be happy if you used my membership number of C-477540 as a referral. It give me a discount the next time I renew.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's cheap - so a couple usages and it's paid for itself. We check for locations that accept and use them when it works schedule-wise. We don't RV on holidays so much so the blackouts have not been much of a problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Like any membership/timeshare your results may vary. Planning is the key along with high usage (I would say).
My folks have multiple memberships and plan their travels. They keep renewing. They are full timers other than stops to see us in our stick house (as they do not have one).
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
Joan and i have been members for 5 years, renewing last year for 3 years. There are restrictions, especially in states like Florida where everyone wants to 'winter'. That being so we've found that we still get our money's worth after 2-3 uses a year. Now that we're full-timing it really pays for itself. And we've found that the campgrounds, while not the most upscale are usually really nice. It's hard to beat FHU with 50amp, most time with cable and wi-fi for $12/night.
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
KIX

To the OP......PA is good for us and has been for the past several years. You just have to understand that a CG is in business to make money. PA discounts allow them to (hopefully) fill vacant sites during non-peak times. If you intend to use PA only on weekends and normally busy times when CG's don't have a vacancy problem then PA is probably not for you. However, if your CG stays are during non-peak times then it can be a really good deal.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did an 11,000 mile 34 state trip this summer. We used PA as much as possible and probably spent 30 nights for 1/2 price. We used it for as many nights as they allowed and paid full price for the rest of our stay. The restrictions rarely affected our plans. We also belongs to the Elks and used their facilities as much as possible. Every $ saved went in the gas tank.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #11

We never plan a trip based on a PA discount. We pick where we wish to overnight and during the reservation process or at check in, ask if they accept it. We typically recover 5-6 times the annual PA membership just on overnight stops. Since we have already made the decision to stop where we are at, any available discount just makes the decision a better one. I guess I do not understand why someone would object to a campground choosing not to offer a discount during their high season, when they can fill sites at full price.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I ran into the same problem. I travelled from NJ to Montana and never used it. Couldn't find a campground that honor it. I found KOA better, you earn points everytime you stay and can cash them in for free nights.

My PA membership is up and I won't renew
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
KIX

Check here: Passport America Campgrounds and see if there are CG's that accept PA where you travel
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We have found ppa to be a nice travel tool. Haven't kept count but just returned from a northeast trip and at just one rv park we saved $54 during our 3 day stay, plus a couple others while overnighting. Have been a member about six years and have no compliants.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote