Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

Passport America

I'm thinking about this one and wonder if anyone has experience with this and if so is it worth it?
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have had good experience with Passport America in general. I must say that some of the parks are not the absolute nicest ones in town, but all in all they generally are pretty good for the price. We are fairly picky about where we stay, and we are usually able to find a PA park that we enjoy staying at. I say for the price it is definitely a good thing to do.
texasfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfuse View Post
We have had good experience with Passport America in general. I must say that some of the parks are not the absolute nicest ones in town, but all in all they generally are pretty good for the price. We are fairly picky about where we stay, and we are usually able to find a PA park that we enjoy staying at. I say for the price it is definitely a good thing to do.
That's kinda the answer I thought I would get and for the price it is recovered in perhaps 2 stops, maybe one of multiple days. It is rare that we stop at the same place twice other than some spots near home that we enjoy with golf, pools, hot tubs etc. Some friends have the card and say it is great but............... more opinions......

Thanks for the info
Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

There are endless threads on the topic and a search will yield endless opinions, but basically they boil down to the fact the entry price is so low that if you are on the road a lot you can usually at least make your money back at worst and maybe come out quite a bit ahead at best. There are a lot of restrictions and as mentioned these aren't always the nicest parks around, but the low membership price and $20/night campgrounds mean that most members come out ahead, some a little, some a lot depending on how much you travel.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
very good first few times we used it more then payed for it
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly worth joining. Will pay back in just 2-3 stays.

Most PA parks are of a size or in a location such that they need to attract business out of season or on weekdays. Not bad parks, just not big. Lots of mom and pops.

There will be restrictions , typically PA discount only good for two nights, or not valid F, S night, or not valid Mem Day thru Labor Day. But it will still pay for itself quickly. Well worth
It.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Joining PA is downright inexpensive for the cost savings that it offers. We reup every year. I was delighted to find out (and unbeknownst to us at the time) that Artillery Ridge in Gettysburg was affiliated with PA. It cost us $63 for three days of camping in a pretty decent CG. They have a nice web site listing all of the participating PA campgrounds. What I usually do is look at the places where we would like to visit and then see if there is a PA nearby. It is true that they don't honor it in July & August. When I first learned of that I thought what good is it if I cant go in the summer! It's a waste of money!! But actually we start our camping excursions here in Ma. in May, and go exploring the Fall foliage in Sept. & Oct. So it works for us.
I can't see where one can go wrong joining PA at such an affordable price.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A good product for those on the road and like something better then wally's world. We have a life membership and like previously mentioned some places are very nice and some not so nice. Never had any problems in the not so nice parks. Hard to beat the price in this day and age of inflation. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use it fairly often, their web site is good for locating participating CG. If the CG restrictions don't align to your needs, I have found that often when asked a CG will extend the PA price to you anyway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We save more than our membership every year. However, the directory they send out every year is very, very outdated. I have experienced two campgrounds that have not been PA for over 2 years, yet they are still listed in the directory. One campground changed owners and they told me after repeated calls to be removed from their book, they are still listed. Call ahead before just stopping in to make sure they are still PA and verify the discounts and restrictions. Still a good deal.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #11

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful indeed. I did do a search but not much associated came up however after I posted there was a list at the bottom of the page that specifically mentioned PA.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would imagine that their smart phone app would be kept more current and the paper directory.
texasfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use it every trip. Highly recommended. What else can I say, except read each campground's exclusions for Passport. Sometimes weekends, holidays, etc are excluded.