Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Passport America?

As I am new to travel by motor home and I would like to know what is thought to be the best discount organization for staying at camp grounds throught the U. S. I intend to travel throughout the country and not stay more than 4 nights at any camp ground. I went on the Passport America website and it seems very good. Is it the best or are there any others I should consider joining? Thanks for your well thought out responses in advance. I greatly appreciate your help! Rich
SEAK100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you decide to join, you can use my member number 477540 as a reference.

It is a good program. You need to look on their web site and determine if the areas you travel in have PA campgrounds. You will typically get a return on your $44 investment after 4 nights stay. Not bad. We have enjoyed being a member.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAK100 View Post
As I am new to travel by motor home and I would like to know what is thought to be the best discount organization for staying at camp grounds throught the U. S. I intend to travel throughout the country and not stay more than 4 nights at any camp ground. I went on the Passport America website and it seems very good. Is it the best or are there any others I should consider joining? Thanks for your well thought out responses in advance. I greatly appreciate your help! Rich
Rich,

In our opinion it is the best program available for what you what to do. We go with 3 years at $99 and with our FMCA membership received an extra 6 months free. We have used it in just about every state. If you are 62+ then the best program available is the Golden Age pass which is good for 50% off with no restrictions at National Park/Forest CG's, COE CG's and selected others. We have Good Sam, but hardly use it for CG discounts. We had Escapees, but it was not worth it for CG discounts. We avoid the membership programs as we do not want to be tied down to selected locations.

Bob
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X3. Sometimes you will have to play the week end 'not available' game, but we have had campgrounds extend the discount into those periods. Go for it...WELL worth the membership fee. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi SEAK100,
PA is a good place to start when joining discount organizations. There are many different organizations that offer CG discounts. Over time, you will determine which are the best for you to join. It all depends on where you plan to be and are the organization's facilities in the same area. Also, are the quality of the facilities what you expect. These can only be answered after you get some time "under your belt".

PA is a good place to start because it is not that expensive and you can choose to renew or not, depending on your experiences.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
By all means go with Passport America. You'll be supporting a hometown business. Passport America and its related operations just moved into new offices just north of downtown Crestview, Florida.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #7

I joined PA a new ago and travelled from FL to VA and then around VA for several long weekends and then back to FL. For me, the PA discount never applied during my travels. I'm sure it works for some, maybe most, but this year I'll not renew. It could simply be that we're not out camping enough or that our Grandson's pick the wrong CGs.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We currently use Passport America and also Camp Club USA...this gives us a pretty good choice of places to stay. We paid $17 for the first night of this trip (had 72 channels of cable and internet) and $43 for 3 nights at were we are now (no cable but internet and a 9 hole golf course) and were we are going next is also on the PA list and place we have reservations for on way home is PA. I have found the websites for both to be very user friendly.

Tracy
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I was limited to one, it would be Passport America.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have PA. and the only thing I have found wrong with it, was a trip out west we took, we pulled into a park that was a campground they had re-worked it into a trailor park and it was hard to manuver around in it. But that could happen anywhere with any club. My openion..they are very good. We first bought it for a year.. then bought the lifetime membership.
Good Luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #11

Passport America and the federal government Senior Pass. Don't leave home without them. They are all you need except for Good Sam ERS.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Thanks for all of your replies, I am already a Senior National Parks member but I will definitely join Passport America!!!! Rich
SEAK100 is offline   Reply With Quote