Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
There is a formula that is used to determine whether or not to deploy the rug. Only the DW is privvy to that formula. If I decide to depoly it without consulting the fourmula, I will have to stow it again. If I decide to leave it stowed, I will have to deploy it pronto. Only the DW has knowledge of the formula.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use a patio mat at every place we camp. Purchased it at Quartzite about 5 years ago. It still looks like it's new. It will alow the rain to go thru. Upon leaving the park, I fold it in half & keep folding until it's about 3ft. square and throw it in the back of the car.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
One other tip I can recommend.

I now carry a small rake to get the stones out of the Matt area. It saves on damage to Matt and our feet.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #18

My Breeze came with a huge Dometic "Patty O' Mat", along with just about everything else needed to camp. Didn't use one the whole 12 years I had my 5er. Why start now? It's in my spare bedroom. Some of the guys use them, most don't. They tend to attract people. People bring food. People drop crumbs. Ants like crumbs(if Sadie doesn't get them first). Dunner doesn't like ants. Mat stays home.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
There is a formula that is used to determine whether or not to deploy the rug. Only the DW is privvy to that formula. If I decide to depoly it without consulting the fourmula, I will have to stow it again. If I decide to leave it stowed, I will have to deploy it pronto. Only the DW has knowledge of the formula.
Sounds like you fully understand the situation at hand!

Before doing anything check with the boss... if she isn't happy, NO ONE IS HAPPY!

Dan
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We soon learned a large "rug" was not the way to go. Now we ALWAYS carry a large woven plastic mat. Sand/water goes right through, they are light weight and they don't hold water. As everyone else, it's used depending on conditions.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #21

I’ve had one of these mats for over 20 years. We had it when we were trail riding. The rain goes through and it does help keep the RV cleaner. I normally have to give it a short hosing when we get home. Let it dry in the sun. It does not add to the décor as it only comes in green. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don’t. The very best thing for keeping everything clean is a good door mat and taking off your shoes.

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/p-213474-awning-mat.aspx?magic=KFMBV50512152404163&affiliateid=100 81
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #22

I have a 1'x2' piece of expanded metal nailed to three 2x4s at the base of my steps for cleaning shoes. Some people make a box, with expanded metal on top of it.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #23

our patio matg comes with a velcro'd strap that becomes a carrier, then I stuff it into an extra strength trash bag and put it into the back of the pick-up truck. we use it most of the time, depending on CG rules and ground conditions and DW's opinion
Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the patio..Dirt, or cement or other pavement I use a rug,

Grass, it will damage the grass, may even kill it if left down too long, even the ones that advertise they do not do that... Do do that. Thus I don't use them on grass.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #25

Totally a personal preference ,I like them if mine gets dirty I just roll it up and hose it down when I get home.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #26

Pretty new at this full timing thing, but we use indoor outdoor AstroTurf. With two dogs it has been great so far, of course we have yet to see rain.

I vacuum it every other day and when we leave I fold it up on itself and vacuum the back of it that has been on the dirt side.

Paid about 40 bucks at lowes for about 8 x 12 feet.

So far so good.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #27

More great responses (and some humorous ones as well!). I've been doing some research....looked up Ming's mats as suggested above, and I searched on the Walmart and Target websites. Then I Googled several terms related to RV patio mats and got TONS of sites. It was a bit overwhelming actually.

Now if you all would be so kind....if you know the actual name or manufacturer of your rug, would you please share that? We want one that will hold up over time, and a recommendation from people who have actually used them is indispensable.

I think we've decided we'd like to at least try a rug, perhaps more for aesthetic reasons than practical reasons. Like I said before, we're pretty good about not tracking in dirt because we take our shoes off in the RV. Still....we definitely want one that is easy care, can be hosed off, and dries easily. Since we only have a travel trailer, we don't have a lot extra storage, and we don't have a vacuum like some of you. So we'd have to clean it off the old-fashioned way.....with a broom! :-)

It's interesting to hear different perspectives, and what I also love is reading the info you include with your posts....the type of RV you have, little sayings, etc. I LOVE THIS SITE!!! Thanks again!

OH!!! I forgot to mention the thing that initiated this entire rug subject. We're going to be visiting our daughter in northern Canada this summer. They have a baby (our 1st grandchild), and she's still crawling. I thought having a rug would make it easier (for all of us) for the baby to be outside and active without being directly on the ground.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #28

Patty O' Mat by Dometic - A&E.