Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Anyone seen the fake grass they sell at Costco. It's designed for use in landscaping where you don't want real grass. It looks just like real grass. Would be nice, but it's big and heavy.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #44

Indoor-outdoor carpeting would be great, and it can be cut to any size. But since we only have a travel trailer, storage space is limited, and it would be pretty bulky. When we retire we're going to upgrade to a 5th wheel or motor home (haven't decided which yet, but that's a topic for another forum!) :-) For now I think we'll be happy with the little mat we bought from Walmart, and we'll still keep a rug to wipe our feet on by the front door. It comes with its own carry case, and it folds up quickly and easily.

It's been interesting hearing ideas from more experienced campers. And you've been SO helpful that I'm now going to post a real 'newbie' question about water tanks! :-)

Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #45
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 9' x 12' mat (the type CW sells and everyone else). When we're on concrete or have a nice lawn area, no mat. When the area is dirty/nasty, I don't want to put it out because I have to clean it. My wife is like others....why isn't the mat out....why don't we put the mat out......are we ever going to use the mat. Finally, I made her a deal....I'll put it out as long as she cleans it and puts it away. Problem solved!

On occasion, being a good husband, I do put the mat out....but NEVER in wet or impending wet weather.

I would suggest to anyone who does use the CW type mat to buy their storage bag. The mat fits perfectly inside, it has a zippered enclosure and carry handles. Makes it easy to store and is only $13.00 Good Sam Patio Mat Carry Bag - Intersource Enterprises D09-1152 - Patio Mats - Camping World
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #46

Diplomat Don.....sounds like you and your wife have worked out a pretty good compromise there! And yes, having a bag would be great, and it would help keep the basement storage area clean. Although we may have to store ours in the truck because I'm not sure how much room we're going to have in the travel trailer storage.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #47
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The patio mat is the first thing out and last thing back in. The mat lets water through so there is not issue with puddling and a lot of dirt just sifts through. It keeps a trememdous amount of dirt out of the rv. If it is dirty I try to fold it so the stuff is inside and then clean it when possible. They clean very easily.

Contemporary Patio Rugs 8'x20'- Reversible - Product - Camping World
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2285151813.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	626.2 KB
ID:	23136

"It's important to have your mat match everything you can."
Seriously, we travel with pets and the mat helps keep a clean environment.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
WOW!!! I woke up this morning to all of these answers, which amazed me! This was my first post to iRV2, and if this is any indication of what the site offers, then I'm going to love it!

Your answers give great reasons for the pros and cons. It does seem to be a pretty subjective issue. I guess it's because our RV is new, but we are pretty extreme about keeping it clean. We've adopted a 'no shoes' in the RV policy so we don't track in dirt and debris. We've bought some clogs that are easy to slide on and off, and we wear them when we're around the campsite.

I guess the consensus is.....if it's good weather, they're nice to have, and if it rains it can be a pain when you're striking camp to leave. Maybe we'll compromise and buy a small-ish rug to give it a try....maybe a 5 x 9. We had been looking at the 20' long ones. Then we could only use it when we know the weather conditions are good.

We looked at the rugs at Camping World and didn't particularly like them.....there wasn't one that would look good with our particular RV, and that's important to me (not to my husband). :-) So as suggested above, we'll look at Target and Walmart and see what else we can find.

Thanks again for your generous responses!
When my wife and I bought out TT in our excitement of owning it we were in and out of it quite a bit familiarizing ourselves with its features. I noticed that we were tracking a lot of dirt inside of it. So, like yourself, we said we can't have this, so we too bought clogs to slip on and off upon entering the trailer. And yes, we wear them around the campsite too!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

We bought the 9x20 mat from CW when we first bought our new coach in 2007 and we're still using it. I have a little different take on it that some. We use our even MORE in bad weather than when it's sunny. We have three dogs and anything we can do to keep them (and us) from tracking in mud, etc is very helpful.

Except for very short stays, the only time we don't use it is when there are restrictions against it because it can kill lawns.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #51

I posted this on the Forest River forums; I cut a huge tractor-trailer tarp down to the awning's size. It is a perfect patio mat in all conditions.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #52

Besides clogs being terrible fashion statements... don't they have holes in them for your feet to get dirty? So then you slip your clogs off and you have dirty feet or dirty socks in the motorhome?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #53

I too bought a rug as seen in the photo from CW. It works great and we use it all the time to keep the debris down while entering the trailer.
-Paul R. Haller
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Besides clogs being terrible fashion statements... don't they have holes in them for your feet to get dirty? So then you slip your clogs off and you have dirty feet or dirty socks in the motorhome?
I suppose that is true if you get your feet dusty & dirty. In our recent camping trip we wore our clogs when it was raining. It rained for three days straight! When I/we slipped them off upon entering the TT our feet were more wet than dirty. The little rug that we keep at the door helped us to wipe them dry.
Yes, clogs are ugly but where we were it didn't matter to us.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #55

Loozycats picture shows the one thing you should not do with a mat. Please do not lay them on grass. They kill the grass.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Loozycats picture shows the one thing you should not do with a mat. Please do not lay them on grass. They kill the grass.

Oops!