Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Patio rug? No patio rug? And why?

Hello Everyone!
Although we've camped all our lives, we just recently bought our first RV....a 29' travel trailer. It's beautiful, and we love the awning. For long-term camping (a week or 2 at a time), do you think it makes sense to have a patio rug? We're wondering if they are more trouble than they're worth and possibly just one more thing to have to schlep with us. On the other hand, it could make the campsite seem warmer. Just wondering what you all think of the idea. Thanks!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #2

Hi,

I don't find it a hassle using an outdoor rug. Mine is very lightweight, and all I do is just roll it up and toss it to the side when moving. Mine allows water and light to pass through, so that helps keep it cleaner (on the under side), and the grass underneath won't die. The one I use is 5x9, purchased at Target about five years ago ... was on sale for around $30.

I prefer using one because it cuts down on how much dirt I track into the RV. Also, my dog can lay outside without getting grass or dirt or leaves in her hair. :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
KIX

I quit using one as it seemed that everytime I was ready to break camp it had just rained and the ground cover was wet and/or muddy. No good place to carry it wet and muddy.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have one but seldom use it for the same reason that KIX mentions. Also, there are a substantial number of campgrounds that do not allow them. Main reason being that regardless of the design they will hurt the grass, assuming there is grass.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I bought a nice outdoor mat at Walmart and use it occasionally, but not every place. There are some places it is absolutely wonderful (over gravel, dirt, or level grassy areas) and some places I don't want to use it (very unlevel ground, narrow concrete pads where 1/2 would be on concrete and 1/2 would be on grass). I have trouble walking anyway and unlevel areas could be a hazard to me. My compartments are not large enough to carry the mat/rug so it goes in the back of my tow vehicle when traveling.
I have friends who have an identical rug and we put our rugs together when we are camping (doors facing each other) and it makes for a very nice, large covered area.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have one, sometimes I use it but mostly not, just depends on how I feel, how long we're staying and if the DW says put it out!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a couple of those nice plastic/polyester whatever it is ones that are easy to clean.
However I don't put it out unless we are staying several days and really need it due to dirt, etc.
I have some long 12" nails to fasten it down so it doesn't blow away. Some sites are paved so I use rocks on those.
They need to be turned over and allowed to dry out a bit and then cleaned before putting them away.
They do make for a nice campsite though they are a bit of a bother.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
This is a very personal thing, since it has to do with the 'look-and-feel' of your space, right? I used one for a few years. Gave it up. Too messy, too much screwing around. I won't pack dirty or wet material in my compartments or inside my vehicles, so it was always an issue with every move, you know rinse it off with the hose, let it dry, roll it, fold it, pack it away, no-no-no, better things to do .... I use a small welcome mat for wiping shoes, and we remove shoes at the top step.

Also, they are very hard on the ground, lawn, etc. But like I say, it's a personal thing.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Have two - one that we keep at our permanent campsite and the other we only use if the site is sandy or has no grass.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have one but only use it when the DW says more than 3 times, where is the patio rug.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have one and use it when needed. If I am camping with a concrete patio then no not needed. If it's dirt then yes help keeps the dirt out of the rig. If it's going to rain I might put it away the night before we leave. As for storage, I made a shelf out of wire just above my propane tank. If it goes away wet it will dry there with no problem.
Dan
Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #12

WOW!!! I woke up this morning to all of these answers, which amazed me! This was my first post to iRV2, and if this is any indication of what the site offers, then I'm going to love it!

Your answers give great reasons for the pros and cons. It does seem to be a pretty subjective issue. I guess it's because our RV is new, but we are pretty extreme about keeping it clean. We've adopted a 'no shoes' in the RV policy so we don't track in dirt and debris. We've bought some clogs that are easy to slide on and off, and we wear them when we're around the campsite.

I guess the consensus is.....if it's good weather, they're nice to have, and if it rains it can be a pain when you're striking camp to leave. Maybe we'll compromise and buy a small-ish rug to give it a try....maybe a 5 x 9. We had been looking at the 20' long ones. Then we could only use it when we know the weather conditions are good.

We looked at the rugs at Camping World and didn't particularly like them.....there wasn't one that would look good with our particular RV, and that's important to me (not to my husband). :-) So as suggested above, we'll look at Target and Walmart and see what else we can find.

Thanks again for your generous responses!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
We have one of the plastic reversible woven mats by Mings Mats. It's a 9'x18' and covers most of our camping area.

I won't use it on an overnight but for a couple of days or more we will.

I don't think I have ever camped on grass, so I've always used the mat. And yes, it always seems like it rains the night before we leave. I just sweep it off and make the last sweep and fold on the picnic table to get it off the ground.
Mine came with a bag so it keeps the mat from mucking up my basement bins. My HR has plastic un-carpeted bins which makes it easy for cleanup. I haven't had to yet.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Just one more thing - be sure to get one that is made for water to pass through - very important. The bottom side gets wet from just the soil/grass on those that don't allow water to pass through. I had the big one from Camping World that looks like artificial grass - heavy and always a hassle because it didn't drain. Got rid of it and bought one from CW that allows water to pass through. Difference is night and day! Lightweight and easy to sweep off, keeps grass and stuff out of the coach (with grandkids that is very important!, and it looks so much better than just grass or dirt out there. Folds quickly and I have a bag that I made out of a tarp that I slide it into. Love it!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote