Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gotta admit that 11'8" site is "interesting"!

Some of them just needed a little more speed or weight and they'd have made it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
That site always amaze me. I've got to wonder though how much those hits put a strain on that bridge. How many hundreds or thousands of trucks have hit that over the years?
There was a contractor hauling an excavator on a low-boy in the Scranton, PA area and it hit a bridge. It caused enough damage the bridge had to be replaced causing tens of thousands of commuters to detour into the city. $1.5 million in damage and PennDot sued the trucking company for the damages
Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You do notice how many of the trucks that hit that bridge are rental trucks. Lots of people rent a truck and are used to driving nothing bigger than a minivan. They are so busy watching mirrors, trying not to run over a curb, etc that they don’t think about truck height. I’m really glad I’ve never made a mistake while driving so I can throw stones at those who have. Surprised the state hasn’t installed a klaxon horn that goes off when’re an over height rig approaches.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #18

My F250 is just about 7' tall and I think I'd be nervous looking at 9' of clearance without a trailer. smh.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #19

I have a 2004 Chevy Express van and a class C built on a 2005 Chevy Express 3500 Van chassis; the cabs are identical. I'm constantly having to remember that I'm in the RV and not the van.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #20

My WGO fuse would even blink on the 11ft one, not so much on the 9er tho.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I picked up my new motorhome in 2006 at Monaco's factory in Indiana. On the return trip to Canada looking at a map on NY state I took a shorcut in small county roads. But after approx 60 miles we came up to a low railroad bridge, approx 10 ft high, and the motorhome height was 12' 3''

The bridge was in a curve and the sign was only about 250 ft from the bridge. There was no roads to turn left or right, so I stopped pulled on the side of the road. It was rush hour, we had to unhitched to toad, backing was impossible due to traffic. finally a police cruiser came by and they stopped the traffic so I could back up. So the short cut cost us about 3 or 4 hours but no damages, but I gained in experience..
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #22

I had to take a road tractor to Nitro WV to switch out with a disabled one. I ended up at a 11-0 railroad overpass. I ended up having to drop that tractor, remove the exhaust pipe and lower the varishield to go get that tractor, brought it back and lowered the rear wheels to the ground to slide it under the bridge. Then I had to remove the air shield from the replacement and change the exhaust stack between the two.
That was a fun first trip with a large wrecker, and Salem Leasing did pay for having the corner of the cab repainted where the exhaust damaged it, especially since the tractor I was recovering could have been driven to where I had to hook up and nobody told us.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #23

That's terrible. It is easy to point and laugh, but anyone who is honest and drives big stuff, realizes that you are only one distraction from being in a situation where you could possibly do the same thing. I was bringing a load of equipment up I-95 for the university I work for and had a student riding shotgun with me. There was some sort of terrible wreck on 95 and we decided to go around it through the country because the back-up was hours long. We went under a railroad bridge in some town that was 13' 8" tall and we "supposedly" were 13' 6". That was the closest I have ever been and due to my length and the dip under the bridge, I was not sure I would make it. I told him to find the most direct way back to 95 after that!!!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #24

There used to be a bridge over the river in my hometown. It was on U.S. 50 which was a major east/west highway before all of the interstates were completed. The upper part was a mangled mess due to trucks hitting it. It was barely 12 ft. tall. Finally they built a new bridge that was I believe 12 ft. 6 inches and proudly put up signs stating 12 ft. 6 inches clearance. Then since they had a spanking new bridge they decided to repave the road. They put down 4 to 6 inches of asphalt. They never changed the signs. In a short time the new bridge top was mangled. The point is that signs are not always accurate.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 AM   #25

After watching that a "Low Clearance Avoidance System" seems like a good investment....

like this one?
https://giraffeg4.com/

Nevermind...you have to pull under the bridge to measure it......NOT.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #26

Watch those detours. Last summer I was sent down a short detour that had a 10' underpass, luckily there was a convenience store/gas station right there where I could turn around. Judging by the marks in their gravel parking lot, hundreds of others did the same. Of course they couldn't put up a low clearance sign with the detour sign. Maybe they wanted to send business to the store.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #27

Anyone know of an app that you could check for low underpasses in your travel area. I've looked and haven't found anything.

Thanks
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Anyone know of an app that you could check for low underpasses in your travel area. I've looked and haven't found anything.

Thanks
EVERYONE has that app. It's called EYE, BRAIN, BRAKE. If you're not thinking about height EVERY time you come on an underpass, you shouldn't be driving an RV!

Anyone been to Las Vegas with a pickup and let the valet parking attendant park it for you? About 3/4 of the parking garages are too short for my pickup (it has a cap). I have the pickup height posted on the dash, I make sure I tell the attendant it's too high for their garage, and there's an 8X10 sign on the steering wheel. Overkill? It only takes one OH, SH!*

Bridges aren't the only thing to worry about.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote