Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

I used to do this stuff from time to time with mixed results. Some of it is my method I believe and some of it is just luck. I used to work at a place that had semi trucks coming in and we would have to unload some stuff and sit it on the dock so we could load our stuff. The companies would then just give it to the dock staff.
There was a busted pallet of dog food we got one time. We all had dogs so we split it. I talked a few of the other guys into giving me their bags so I could donate them. I loaded them up in her suv and had my wife carry them down to the local dog pound and give it to those guys. Took her forever to get someone to come out and unload it and then the guy was throwing the bags around like he was mad. Not so much as a thank you from anyone there. It was 500 pounds of dog food....would've thought they would be a little more appreciative.
I got a free washer and dryer from work. Loaded them in the truck and went to the local laundry mat. Waited until I saw a lady in there doing laundry that had 2-3 kids and approached her and told her she could have them. She had no way of getting them home but said her brother would come by and get them. Waited for him and helped him load them. As we were parting ways he thanked me and said he already had a buyer lined up.

I guess I need to change my methods. Those left such a bad taste in my mouth it's not very often that I do those things anymore.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I used to do this stuff from time to time with mixed results. Some of it is my method I believe and some of it is just luck. I used to work at a place that had semi trucks coming in and we would have to unload some stuff and sit it on the dock so we could load our stuff. The companies would then just give it to the dock staff.
There was a busted pallet of dog food we got one time. We all had dogs so we split it. I talked a few of the other guys into giving me their bags so I could donate them. I loaded them up in her suv and had my wife carry them down to the local dog pound and give it to those guys. Took her forever to get someone to come out and unload it and then the guy was throwing the bags around like he was mad. Not so much as a thank you from anyone there. It was 500 pounds of dog food....would've thought they would be a little more appreciative.
I got a free washer and dryer from work. Loaded them in the truck and went to the local laundry mat. Waited until I saw a lady in there doing laundry that had 2-3 kids and approached her and told her she could have them. She had no way of getting them home but said her brother would come by and get them. Waited for him and helped him load them. As we were parting ways he thanked me and said he already had a buyer lined up.

I guess I need to change my methods. Those left such a bad taste in my mouth it's not very often that I do those things anymore.
Don't give up! Those kind of folks are out there to make you appreciate the good ones! God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #17

A few weeks back, we stopped at a "Steak-n-Shake" to pick up some shakes for the ride..

While waiting for our shakes to be made an elderly couple approached the counter to pay their bill... the gentleman had asked if there was a Veteran discount and the lady said no.. he asked about a Senior discount.. the lady, again, said no.. the gentleman mentioned he had gotten a discount before.. so the lady said she would get the "manager"... a young man approached and said sorry.. there are no discounts..

At that time.. my GF reached into her purse, grabbed a $20 and gave it to the elderly gentleman and thanked him for his service... the gentleman and his bride were beyond grateful... that was probably the best ride home we've had in quite some time..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One more Steak & Shake story. This year, a few days before Christmas, we stopped by for lunch, the waitress ( looked a little rough) was real upbeat and friendly. Commented that she was so happy, because she had been able to get her kids Christmas out of layaway. Last year she didn't have enough money, and her three kids had to do without.

After she took our order and walked away, the DW and I looked at each other, and said; Christmas, what a better time to help someone. We had $ 50 cash between us, so when we finished our meal, and she brought the check, we gave her the cash.

WE are the ones who received the best Christmas present ever! She started jumping up and down, crying, and hugging us. Some of her co.- workers started crying. Everyone in the place was watching.

Such a blessing......for those of us who are so, so blessed, to share it with others. Sometimes, there are people who really are good people, and are just in a hard place, maybe no fault of there own. Yes,in my life I have experienced those that are not so grateful. But man when you find a good one, it's like hitting a grand slam, or hole in one. Can make you feel glad tone alive.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
A few years ago we were parked across the road from a young work camp couple. We overheard them talking that they couldn't buy groceries until Friday, pay day. DW reached in her purse and handed me a hundred dollar bill and asked me to take it over to them. Another reason I married her
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote