Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I believe OK honors the North TX toll pass, in addition to its own.
Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas toll tags now are accepted on all those states’ tollways.

Houston has at least 3 different toll road authorities, Austin, at least 1: DFW, 2 or 3. God only know how many others. O.k and KS, only 1 each, thank God.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #58

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Indiana I-80 is a classic example of tax payer rip off. It was built with tax $$, then sold toll/maint off to a private company in 2007 with no rebate to the tax payers. Now the road is in bad shape and will need a (tax payer rebuild, just my prediction).

Yup one of the big "advantages?" of "privitation" brought to us by some elected officials. I won't go into who to blame as that is too political but you can research the sale of Indiana toll road.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Paying Tolls when traveling

Florida’s e-pass extra central Florida expressway system ( NOT ez Pass) came out and said they were the only ones to completely cover the East at the time. That was about the first of the year. It’s worked on all bridges and tolls we have been on. No monthly charge cheap to set up and discounts on the Florida epass system and you can switch between vehicles easily
Old 09-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to sailsam Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
In the last28 months and 17 states between California to the west, Tennessee to the east, Montana to the north and Texas to the south we have yet to pay a toll. One only needs to pay for toll roads if one travels where the trip is only to get to the dstination. Luckily we are able to make the trip itself a primary part of our enjoying the scenery, parks, towns, and people along the way. I realize that you younger people that still have work and school commitments can't have the freedom us old folks can enjoy. Play your cards right and, if you desire yu can get to the plae in life that will allow that enjoyment and freedom. Scenery and people and animal life sights and interactions are usually better when one travels slower on roads other than toll roads.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #61

You can do it with credit card but some States it’s either cash or transponder
Mrmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #62

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Get as many transponders as possible

Our home base is Illinois and we have an I-pass transponder which is valid in all of the E-Z-Pass states. This is primarily 13 NE states. We also have a Florida Sun Pass for snowbirding, but it is used only in a few places, not even all of Florida. A K-Pass transponder is issued FREE by Kansas and is valid in KS, OK, and Texas. Not many toll roads in the west after you get past Denver.

The toll accounts are all different. IL Pass gives a discount for using the pass instead of a human paying a cash toll. FL wants money on deposit to keep the account open. Kansas just charges a credit card monthly if you use it.

Some toll roads and bridges do not have any humans. They scan the plates and mail a bill to the license plate address. This is a problem for FT or people on the road for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetken1 View Post
Hi, Finally starting our journey October 5
We will be traveling all over the states and was thinking this morning about tolls.
How does one handle tolls. I have E-Zpass (live in NY) but not many states honor it. What should we anticipate? Cash ? Credit cards? Electronic/mail to home?
Ken
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #63

Recently took a trip to upstate New York from northern Ohio. I got the E-Z Pass and had trouble getting it to read. So, I had to stop at each toll booth and hand over the E-Z Pass.

Also,make sure that a toll road either has a toll booth to stop at or you have a pass for that particular road. About 3 years ago, I was in Texas and didn't have a toll pass but I enter the toll road and found out they don't have a toll booth. There was no place to turn around. So I was stuck. Each time I passed through the toll signal, I just waved! Well, a few months later I got a bill for about $150!
ovibugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiphk View Post
Here is how the North Texas system works. 1. You open an account on their web page (ntta.org) with a $40 credit on you CC. As you use tolls, noticeably discounted for members verses non members, the CC will replenish $40 at a time until used up. 2. They give you a toll tag sticker for the window but will default to your licence plate if it isn't read or you don't have one. In the latter case you will be billed soon after no matter what state your plate is in.

The account is also good for OK, and KA for sure.... probably more states and other toll companies in TX.. I use them all the time. I moved to AZ this year and simply update my address and license plate on ntta.org with my account still open. My MH and tow car are still registered. Discounted tolls are deducted from the $40 balance as they occur.

i would recommend anyone spending time in TX. OK KA set up such an account and get the discounted rate. The systems are highly efficient and the toll booths are no longer manned. Occasionally I will rent a Dallas area car and I change one of the registered license plates to the rental car and get the discounts.

Skip
Also in OK there are lots of unmanned booths that only have coin collection. It is a basket like receptacle that only excepts coins. You have to have lots of change (coins). And a good aim.
david2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #65

I have NY EZ Pass and have travelled to NC and ND. No issues in any states in between NY and those destinations.
blackhorse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #66

Quote:
We will be traveling all over the states and was thinking this morning about tolls.
How does one handle tolls. I have E-Zpass (live in NY) but not many states honor it. What should we anticipate? Cash ? Credit cards? Electronic/mail to home?
Ken
I-Pass out of Illinois. It covers 21 states, even the ones EZ-Pass covers and you do not pay monthly fees. Our company uses it and I have used it for years. I work for Gordon Food Service and we have a lot of trucks on the road.
spaz3usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
NC Quickpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Up and down the East the NC Quick pass work's well. Check it out. www.ncquickpass.com
Agree regarding the NC Quickpass. We have used it from Florida to Indiana without issue. It seems to be the only state, so far, to be accepted both north and south.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
When I know I'm getting close to a toll road I always carry a large ziploc bag of dirt with me. I mix it with water and cover my plates. After I'm off of the toll road I have a spray bottle of water to rinse the mud off. Problem solved.
you may not realize it but you're breaking several motor vehicle laws by doing that? i
Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Ken
A very valid concern; I have paid over $200 in late fees in 2 years. Now I try to avoid them; otherwise keep an eye for the web sites posted to pay. It helps.
RCouttolenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #70

Commercial Member

Have had EZpass for 9 years. Did the research and signed up for MA even though I live in OH. No fee to have EZPass, only need $20 in my account.
I like not having to stop to pay the toll and really like the "drive-through lanes" on some roads in IL & PA where you only need to slow to 55.

The rules on which "Pass" covers which roads seem to be constantly changing so you need to do some research. Also, need to realize that pay by mail might cost you a stiff surcharge so making some effort to have EZ or similar can save you $$$.

Tags
travel