RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #1

Paying Tolls when traveling

Hi, Finally starting our journey October 5
We will be traveling all over the states and was thinking this morning about tolls.
How does one handle tolls. I have E-Zpass (live in NY) but not many states honor it. What should we anticipate? Cash ? Credit cards? Electronic/mail to home?
Ken

Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up and down the East the NC Quick pass work's well. Check it out. www.ncquickpass.com

Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Up and down the East the NC Quick pass work's well. Check it out. www.ncquickpass.com
I have been considering cancelling my NJ E-ZPass that Iíve had for decades and moving to NC Quick Pass, mainly for the expanded coverage in southern states. With family in FL and NC and TX, it makes some sense to me. And I donít want to have tags in different systems, especially when NJ E-ZPASS is sitting on a bunch of my money all the time.

Houston has their own thing, so Iíll have to do something about that, too, or just stay off the toll roads.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

Tolls are a valid concern. A couple of years ago, I crossed the Golden Gate bridge on a motorcycle and missed the toll booth cause I was in the left lane. When I finally got the bill in the forwarded mail, the late fee cost was $36.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on where you go and how often you encounter tolls. We never hit many (even in the Northeast), mostly just the occasional bridge, so paying cash was not a problem and certainly the most flexible. More and more places are accepting credit cards, so that makes it easy too. However, if you travel often on certain toll roads, it makes sense to have a pass that works for them.

According to EZ Pass, yours should work in any state that uses the EZ Pass system, i.e. Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky. Of course, there may be a few roads and bridges in each that do not use EZ Pass at all, but EZ is your best bet for wide acceptance. For the others, cash or credit card.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

I have the NC transponder, but it does have an issue in WV as it registers me as a Class 6 truck, not a Class 4 motorhome. Your best bet may be the new E-Pass Xtra available in Florida. This works in 18 states.
https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/about-e-pass/

P.S. WV does not accept credit cards so you will needs lots of cash.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #7

I have the IL I-pass and the only two states that would not honor the I-pass was Colorado on I25 and Oklahoma. In OK I had to pay cash when I entered the toll road and left the road way.

The way I check to see if the I-pass will work or not is when I get to a toll both that will accept cash is to pull in to this lane. The attended will get a toll paid message and he will wavy me on so , I know this will work on that toll road than.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Houston has their own thing, so Iíll have to do something about that, too, or just stay off the toll roads.
Actually TX has several different toll systems but they are reciprocal so you only need an account with one of them. The Houston toll system is run under the Harris County name.

One thing that's important to know about TX is that there are a lot of unattended toll booths that don't take cash. If you don't have a pass they will send you a "bill by mail" which costs a few dollars more than the toll charge.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
In OK I had to pay cash when I entered the toll road and left the road way.
I believe OK honors the North TX toll pass, in addition to its own.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Florida EZ Pass "Extra" covers 18 states - all in the Northeast - nothing towards the SW....

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/

The New York State pass gives you a large discount on the NYS Thruway.....you just need to register your motor home with the NY EZ Pass system..I live in Indiana and have the NY pass......

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Florida EZ Pass "Extra" covers 18 states - all in the Northeast - nothing towards the SW....

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/

The New York State pass gives you a large discount on the NYS Thruway.....you just need to register your motor home with the NY EZ Pass system..I live in Indiana and have the NY pass......

g
It's actually E-pass Extra (not EZ). The only thing I don't like about the module is it doesn't beep. It does work though.

Is there one "pass" that covers from Florida to Maine?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

When I know I'm getting close to a toll road I always carry a large ziploc bag of dirt with me. I mix it with water and cover my plates. After I'm off of the toll road I have a spray bottle of water to rinse the mud off. Problem solved.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
When I know I'm getting close to a toll road I always carry a large ziploc bag of dirt with me. I mix it with water and cover my plates. After I'm off of the toll road I have a spray bottle of water to rinse the mud off. Problem solved.
That works and so does a bike on a rack covering your plate.

Since FL went " Toll by Plate " there seems to be lots of bike racks on cars, with the straps dangling.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
It's actually E-pass Extra (not EZ). The only thing I don't like about the module is it doesn't beep. It does work though.

Is there one "pass" that covers from Florida to Maine?
Yes there is. Itís called the N.C. quick pass/EZ pass and itís good in all states East of the MS river that has tolls.

Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel