Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where can I get some of those municipal bonds that pay 5% per annum?

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by dieselclacker
Where can I get some of those municipal bonds that pay 5% per annum?
Any stock broker. I use Schwab

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
There are a lot of people that don't have the assets to shell out $200,000 or more in cash without selling their house or dumping their retirement. So no two people have the same finances. I would say if you have the spendible cash to make the payments don't worry about it. It doesn't make anymore since to pay cash or buy the Rv to start with, both are bad on a financial standpoint.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #46
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No payments here. Over 30 years just kept tradeing up till I got to where I am at. Worked hard and lived with in my means and now am enjoying the benefits.Live with in you budget and you will do well in the end. You don't have to start at the top, but if you manage well you will end there.
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #47
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used the standard deduction on our taxes for many years (kids are grown, no mortgage to deduct, medical plan has been great). So, we were paying a hefty premium being responsible. We're still responsible, could have purchased the motor home outright, I'm still working and we did the math. With loans in the upper 3 to lower 4% range, with great credit, the difference between what we pay in interest and the difference due to the tax deduction on the Federal long form has made this a great option for us. We need to pay $1000/month but pay extra principle each month so that this rig will be paid off in 10 years or whenever we decide the arithmetic is better the other way.

We LOVE our rig, only use it about 8 weeks a year (because I'm still working - still - no change since I started this post) and many would think we're crazy. Heck, I would have thought we were crazy too. It works for us though but we'd pay it off in a minute if we no longer felt comfortable with the situation. And that, is the criteria. You know your comfort level and that is the best guarantee of being happy with whatever decision you make.

Wish you the best in whatever you determine is best for you. Happy travels!
2015 Providence 42M, Toad - 2002 PT Cruiser with Air Force 1 brake system. Cummins 450 ISL 9L), Allison 6-spd transmission, Freightliner chassis
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #48
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by M zoll View Post
Each person has to do what they can afford,some are bless more than other,s .
So that is hard to answer,I believe their is a lot of people with payments but just dont amity to it
I bet alot borrowed against their home to pay cash but have a house payment and there is a lot that have the cash to pay all upfront and i think there is more financed than not including me .. Home and cars are paid for except our new CR-V and motorhome but my payments are less than one would think ..If someone can afford the payments why not use someone elses money and keep yours in the bank or investments
2008 Damon Daybreak 3135,F53,2011 CR-V toad SMI Stay in Play Duo
Why wait for retirement enjoy life now !!!!!!!!!!
Me , DW, 2 kids and Kasey 8 year old yellow lab
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would not want to be retired and have a loan of that size hanging over my head. I want it all paid for.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #50
Monaco Owners Club
If you got the $$$ go for it, It's your $$$$.
$100000 at 12 years about $1000 a month.
$150000 at 12 years about $1500 a month.
Should be a nice coach.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no financial justification (investment return or otherwise) for my buying the MH, financing it for the next 12 years...on and on. I do get the second home interest deduction, but certainly a tax dollar (20-30%) is never as good a real dollar saved.....blah blah blah.....

BUT this is a strictly personal/life choice purchase and I am doing it for me, my "kids", my family, and friends that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. For the past 15 years I wanted a coach, hoped I'd have one eventually, but never dreamed I'd still be in my 40's when I actually got one! Well, its tighter than it should be these days, but the car will be paid off soon and I'm worth it!

So, some of my wealthier family and friends think I'm crazy anyway, this just gives them more fuel...but who cares? Its not their money, let them eat cake!

I love my coach and can't wait for the next trip out. How much more should there be to justification of such a huge purchase than the love and life events we will experience with our coaches anyway?

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #52
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Just wondering. How many have payments in excess of $1500? Is it worth it? I'm considering upgrading and really have no idea of what the payments might be.
When you say is it worth it, what do you mean? Is it worth the luxury, is it worth the prestige, is it worth the extreme expense??? We don't know what you are asking.

Many can or cannot afford the $1500/mo you mentioned but even if you can afford it for whatever reason, why would you want to. To impress other campers with your rig, to live the high life,,,, A lot of us who could afford something like that just don't see the purpose of it.

My idea of a motorhome is to go camping out in the great outdoors with most of the conveniences of home. A lot of those perks were in behalf of the DW who would not be as inclined to go if they were not there.

For some, it is to go to a somewhat crowded place, not too unlike the home they just left (except for the climate maybe) and enjoy the sights and sounds where many other people are gathered. That's ok too. Just not for me.

I'm still of the old school that camping was camping out in nature.

The full-timers just go from place to place enjoying whatever they want, where ever it takes them. I might like that too but the DW probably would not.

The cost of your equipment (MH) has a lot to do with what you value in life. If you can afford $1500/mo for (??), then why would you even ask us? If not, why would you want to create a large financial challenge. If you are still working, can you count on that income for the length of time you will be paying on this? If you are retired, then again, why would you have to ask?

Just don't quite get it.

I look at the latest and greatest rigs too online. They are very appealing and boy would that be nice. Then I ask myself, what would I be gaining except some new bells and whistles. Even though I could afford much more than I have, I actually enjoy fixing and modifying my MH. It's my project that keeps me a little busy between my 3 rounds of golf each week.

I'm 69 and been retired for 10 years and DW just retired a year ago, but she is a teacher and has 13 elementary students she tutors for reading after school 6 days a week and she loves it. So I have to pull her away from that just to go camping ever so often. I would go a lot more if she were available.

My older MH '98, has just about everything (including a WD) that the $1500/mo rigs have and it only has 27,500 miles on it. Paid cash and most of the money I have spent on it was to upgrade a little. I have a lot of discretionary spending I can do because I did not plunk a bunch of money down on a real expensive rig and pay interest for a long time. Don't like paying inerest. Got several credit cards with probably combined credit limits of >$150k. However, I haven't paid interest on anything I own for more than 5 years (house) and probably 15 years for CC's.

[moderator edit]

Happy Trails as RR would say.
John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Because I'm from the "Old School" of accepting responsibility for what I do. .... Nothing else!!!!!!

Glad to see that stated up front. I'd rather be without payments, but in November I traded the "paid for" '04 Tiffin 37DB for a smaller and easier to handle unit. I've had to add an extra principle amount to get the payment up to $300.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are sure you can afford the 1500 payment, I mean ABSOLUTELY sure, just do it! Life is short!
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #55
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
$1500 is what the small rental house next door to the RV park goes for a month.
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #56
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The way I look at this is that you need to sit down and honestly look at what you want, and what you want to do with your MH, and then decide how much you can afford to pay to play.

Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote