Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
repaire quoted text format

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Just wondering. How many have payments in excess of $1500? Is it worth it? I'm considering upgrading and really have no idea of what the payments might be.
When you say is it worth it, what do you mean? Is it worth the luxury, is it worth the prestige, is it worth the extreme expense??? We don't know what you are asking.

Many can or cannot afford the $1500/mo you mentioned but even if you can afford it for whatever reason, why would you want to. To impress other campers with your rig, to live the high life,,,, A lot of us who could afford something like that just don't see the purpose of it.

My idea of a motorhome is to go camping out in the great outdoors with most of the conveniences of home. A lot of those perks were in behalf of the DW who would not be as inclined to go if they were not there.

For some, it is to go to a somewhat crowded place, not too unlike the home they just left (except for the climate maybe) and enjoy the sights and sounds where many other people are gathered. That's ok too. Just not for me.

I'm still of the old school that camping was camping out in nature.

The full-timers just go from place to place enjoying whatever they want, where ever it takes them. I might like that too but the DW probably would not.

The cost of your equipment (MH) has a lot to do with what you value in life. If you can afford $1500/mo for (??), then why would you even ask us? If not, why would you want to create a large financial challenge. If you are still working, can you count on that income for the length of time you will be paying on this? If you are retired, then again, why would you have to ask?

Just don't quite get it.

I look at the latest and greatest rigs too online. They are very appealing and boy would that be nice. Then I ask myself, what would I be gaining except some new bells and whistles. Even though I could afford much more than I have, I actually enjoy fixing and modifying my MH. It's my project that keeps me a little busy between my 3 rounds of golf each week.

I'm 69 and been retired for 10 years and DW just retired a year ago, but she is a teacher and has 13 elementary students she tutors for reading after school 6 days a week and she loves it. So I have to pull her away from that just to go camping ever so often. I would go a lot more if she were available.

My older MH '98, has just about everything (including a WD) that the $1500/mo rigs have and it only has 27,500 miles on it. Paid cash and most of the money I have spent on it was to upgrade a little. I have a lot of discretionary spending I can do because I did not plunk a bunch of money down on a real expensive rig and pay interest for a long time. Don't like paying inerest. Got several credit cards with probably combined credit limits of >$150k. However, I haven't paid interest on anything I own for more than 5 years (house) and probably 15 years for CC's.

[moderator edit]

Happy Trails as RR would say.
No prestige intended, no bragging intended. Just the ease of handling, the beauty and comfort of the interior---I could go on and on.
As far as "Camping in the Great Outdoors", I spent 22 years of my life in the Army-----a lot of it sleeping alongside a Tank in all kinds of nasty weather. Not going to do that ever again
I'm not asking anyones permission to do anything. All I asked for was an opinion, not a lecture. And by the way, I have 3 years on you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #58

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
No prestige intended, no bragging intended. Just the ease of handling, the beauty and comfort of the interior---I could go on and on.
As far as "Camping in the Great Outdoors", I spent 22 years of my life in the Army-----a lot of it sleeping alongside a Tank in all kinds of nasty weather. Not going to do that ever again
I'm not asking anyones permission to do anything. All I asked for was an opinion, not a lecture. And by the way, I have 3 years on you
Thanks for explaining a little more. It sure seemed to most of us and by the responses that it was a financial question. Now that we know what you mean I'll let others who have the latest rigs give you their input.

Thanks for your service. Is there anything wrong with the rig you have? It sounds like a pretty good one to me. And by camping in the great outdoors, it was the scenery not roughing it that was meant.

Happy Trails
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Thanks for explaining a little more. It sure seemed to most of us and by the responses that it was a financial question. Now that we know what you mean I'll let others who have the latest rigs give you their input.

Thanks for your service. Is there anything wrong with the rig you have? It sounds like a pretty good one to me. And by camping in the great outdoors, it was the scenery not roughing it that was meant.

Happy Trails
I'm glad that I could enlighten "We" and I really do appreciate the fact that you are going to "Allow others that others that have the latest rigs" to give me their input.
You made my day
!!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
$1,500 for a nice rig seems in the right ball park to me. You will certainly get some nice "bells and whistles" for that money.
I'd do it if I could...
Another thing to keep in mind is that as you get up into the $250k - $400 k rigs, the cost of insurance becomes a bigger monthly number too... likely $300 / mth + on top of the $1,500. Just food for thought.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

I guess we must one of those crazy people that some have alluded to, since our payments are well over $1500. But we wanted a really nice coach and spend enough time in it (about 200 nights/year) to make comfort and convenience worth paying for.

"Worth it" is whatever you think it is. Some people buy expensive cars or take long cruises, others have monumental homes, some people pour money into collections of things that bring them pride and pleasure. There is no realistic way to put value on what others enjoy. So if you can afford it, and it warms the cockles of your heart, why not do it?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #62

Quote:
I'm glad that I could enlighten "We" and I really do appreciate the fact that you are going to "Allow others that others that have the latest rigs" to give me their input.
You made my day
!!
I think you are reading him wrong. By "allow" i read that as he meant he didn't think he could add much to your topic since he doesn't own one of those latest and greatest rigs. Don't think it was a slam, or at least didn't seem like it.

After reading your last post (the long one with your explanation), my advice is to just do what you think you should do. Without living in your shoes and knowing your wants, no one can really tell you how much is too much. It is very personal - how much one spends on their RV - and it is only you and your family who know what the right amount is.

The only thing I would consider if that were me and I really wanted one that expensive would be "do I think I will still be as financially solvent throughout the duration of the loan that I am when buying it". If I think that answer is yes, and i REALLY wanted it, then I'd go for it. This is true of any purchase, not just an RV. I would never buy an RV with payments like that, but that is because that doesn't fit my lifestyle, because like i said, it is a very personal purchase.

I guess the only question I have after reading your longer last entry is, what really is your question? If you can afford it, and it sounds like you have decided its the riight thing for you...what is the question for the forum?
JadedDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #63

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Because I'm from the "Old School" of accepting responsibility for what I do. My rig has been paid for for 3 years and like I said, I'm thinking of an upgrade and asking for opinions on that. Nothing else!!!!!!
Whether or not you have outstanding credit for anything is not a character issue IMHO. I've handled plenty of credit in my life paid every nickle back. We have arrived in retirement not wanting for anything and living a wonderful life. Some folk cannot or just do not want to have credit, I salute them and you as well.

No one knows your situation better than you. It occurs to me that perhaps interest rates are favorable right now and it is a good time to finance. A lower rate will have a positive effect on your payment and @ $1,500 per month you are most likely looking at a very nice rig.

One person discussed where you can compute your own payments based on interest rates. Good idea. I'm sure you can find it on line or if not an amortization schedule book may be available at an office supply.

One problem may be whether or not there is lending going on but you can determine that quickly. Dealer financing is more expensive so maybe if you can arrange your own financing you can get a better deal.

Another issue is that it is not a good time to be selling or trading a MH, you will not get a high value most likely.

The economy can use a boost right now so if your style of life allows you to borrow then it seems a good time to do so.

You sound plenty intelligent enough to make your own choices. Be sure to post pictures of your new rig if you decide to get one.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedDancer View Post
I think you are reading him wrong. By "allow" i read that as he meant he didn't think he could add much to your topic since he doesn't own one of those latest and greatest rigs. Don't think it was a slam, or at least didn't seem like it.

After reading your last post (the long one with your explanation), my advice is to just do what you think you should do. Without living in your shoes and knowing your wants, no one can really tell you how much is too much. It is very personal - how much one spends on their RV - and it is only you and your family who know what the right amount is.

The only thing I would consider if that were me and I really wanted one that expensive would be "do I think I will still be as financially solvent throughout the duration of the loan that I am when buying it". If I think that answer is yes, and i REALLY wanted it, then I'd go for it. This is true of any purchase, not just an RV. I would never buy an RV with payments like that, but that is because that doesn't fit my lifestyle, because like i said, it is a very personal purchase.

I guess the only question I have after reading your longer last entry is, what really is your question? If you can afford it, and it sounds like you have decided its the riight thing for you...what is the question for the forum?
Read the last paragraph of his post
carefully and give me your take on that!!!!
Never mind, the moderator deleted it!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Finhawk;

I like threads like this, and thanks for starting it. It gives everyone a chance to touch on their own philosophy, and I enjoy reading all of the posts.

I fall in the category where the coach I want is "more." I get something, then want to make it better, bigger, faster. That seems to go for most anything, whether it is a new cell phone to computer, to OH MY GOSH HAVE YOU SEEN THE TESLA SUV!

I have to constantly reign in my motor coach desires. Maybe it was a good thing that the dealer didn't have anything bigger than the Diplomat SFT when I was looking, or I'd have a tag axle ExtravaCoach.

If you are going to drive a lot, get something that rides well. We loved the floor plan of our Class C but hated the ride. If you are going to tow something heavy, get a strong engine.

And if you can see down the road that your financial position is stable, get exactly what you want. I doubt anyone here is in the same financial position, but everyone has figured out how to own pretty much what they want.

Good luck, man, and God Bless.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You know...I hate to say this, but in "today's money" $1500.00 really isn't that much...I mean, I know what my payment is and it's WAY NORTH of that, but then again all of my cars, trucks and other toys are paid for and I wanted to get the coach paid for as quickly as I could. I also get to write off part of the coach thru my business, so everything is good.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
I paid $1500 for my camper in total .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #68

Thumbs down

Try this!
Buy a house....
rent the house.....
use the rent to pay for the RV....
At the end you have a house and RV with one payment?????

Can this work??
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post
Try this!
Buy a house....
rent the house.....
use the rent to pay for the RV....
At the end you have a house and RV with one payment?????

Can this work??
Good idea but your credit would have to be good enough to pay for both if it's not rented. And to get $1500 a month it would have to be a heck of a house remember houses are worth about 50% of what they were.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Let me add this... I think if you can afford it now... do it... But what IF at our tender age...just quessing there... Something happens and we can't afford it any more... Sickness or death in the family.. whatever.. We do not know what tomorrow brings.. So if you are Ok with a $1500 today... Go for it....But someday maybe, as with all things, we would have wished we had done it...or maybe wished we had not...

Peace and Safe Travels.... D .. Hope to meet all of you at the 2012 Rally
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote