Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

PenFed CC for fuel...

A question for all you PenFed card holders...

I'm a new card holder and on my second statement there were three "Pat-At-The-Pump" purchases that were NOT registered as pay-at-the-pump so naturally, I didn't receive the discount.

Has that happened to anyone else?

The PenFed service rep says to go back to the stations (in KY, TN and NC) and talk with the station owners. Ya, like that's gonna happen. Even if I was there, your not going to find an 'owner'. He offered no other help. I'm sure there is NOWAY to insure your pay-at-the-pump purchase is properly registered before you leave the station.

I had a similar thing years ago with a Citi-bank Visa card. Discounts at 'Mobil Stations'. Then my local Mobil station quit having the "Mobil" name on their payments to Visa or whatever and I lost my discounts. I quit the card after having one for over 25 years.

GWinger

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has never happend to me, but I have not traveled in the states you mentioned. I have used Penfed card in CA OR WA ID MT NV UT. Think I recall seeing somewhere that it may not be recognized at some stations. Don't know what the agreement is with the station owner.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #3

dieselclacker, Thanks for your input.
I haven't anything but good from others that have been using the PenFed card and learned of the 5% rebate program.
My first statement (last month) had only one purchase on it and from a $122 fill up, I received about A $6+ rebate.
No complains there, obviously.
On my second statement there were three Pay-At-The Pump" purchases that weren't reported as such.
Again, I wanted to know if anyone else had that happen to them.And if PenFed corrected it.
GWinger
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the PenFed cash rewards card. They've been trying to get me to move over to their "points" card for the last year, but I like the 5% rebate. Show me the money! I have not had the problem you described or at least I never noticed it on my statement. Since I have had this card I have saved hundreds of $$ in gas costs. I don't know why anyone would use anything else for gas purchases.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
srh

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the Pen Fed Visa card and the savings on fuel (5% cash) can't be matched. As stated by others, the fuel purchase must be made at the pump. If you pay inside you don't get the 5%. Also, one of the handicaps with the card is that "pay at the pump" has a dollar amount ($75 - $100) restriction. Thus, if you want to fill up with 100 gallons of diesel you wouldn't be able to do it. At max, you could use your card twice at the same time. Has any one found a solution?
Thanks,
srh
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For amounts over the dollar limit set by the station, I just swipe the Penfed card again and finish the fill up. Still get the 5% discount.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Pen Fed issues several different cards. As I understand it, the only one that offers the 5% pay at the pump is the "cash rewards" Visa card. All the others seem to offer "points". I filled up in Pigeon Forge, TN last month and got the 5%.

Make sure you have the right card.

Dave
Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found pumps that allow for a complete fill and those that stop at $75 to $150 as well. Some will allow swiping the card unlimited times but most will stop after two. My way around this is to fill up as the tank is at 1/2 full. This generally will get me close to a full tank. I then use another card to finish the job. One that gets me a 1% return. I suppose the CC company has missed some of the pay at the pump fills but since the other half reviews the bills I cannot recall her ever complaining that one was missed. We have used the card for a couple of years and nearly 30,000 miles of travel. Mostly it works as planned. Rarely at a truck island! I know many like the convience of the drive through style of sharing the space with the big trucks, but they seldom have card swipes at the pumps.
It is worth the hassel! I have never found a better discount than Pen Feds and it is even better when I can combine it with another promotion!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I have the PenFed cash rewards card. They've been trying to get me to move over to their "points" card for the last year, but I like the 5% rebate. Show me the money! I have not had the problem you described or at least I never noticed it on my statement. Since I have had this card I have saved hundreds of $$ in gas costs. I don't know why anyone would use anything else for gas purchases.
Same here. I haven't been pushed to change to the 'point' card but we have no way of knowing if a station is using the correct reporting code to indicate your purchase is Pay-At-The Pump, or not.

Got an email response from PenFed saying to 'ASK' the station. Ya, I tried that my last two purchases,... they had 'no idea'.

When it works, it's a great savings. If it happens with every statement, It's not worth the aggravation to me.
GWinger
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
GWinger.....Are you by chance going inside first and asking them to let you purchase more than their shut off amount and then paying outside? It could be setting up the pump wrong. I've never not had them cover one of my pay at the pump purchases.

As others have said, you can't beat the deal. I've already had over $300.00 in savings this year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
GWinger.....Are you by chance going inside first and asking them to let you purchase more than their shut off amount and then paying outside? It could be setting up the pump wrong. I've never not had them cover one of my pay at the pump purchases.

As others have said, you can't beat the deal. I've already had over $300.00 in savings this year.
I understand what your saying Don, and the answer is "NO". I have had it happen where the pump wouldn't read the card for some reason. Once I moved to another pump and a couple of times I moved on to another station.
We'll see what happens with the next statement. The reason for my question was to see if anyone else has had this happen.

I think I already mentioned, years ago I had a Citi-Bank Visa card that gave me Cash-Back on purchases at Mobil stations. I used it for years all over the country when i was delivering RV to dealers. About the time I quit running around and was purchasing most of my fuel locally, there was a major Mobil station owner in our area that quit having the Mobile name on his credit card reporting. Hence, I didn't get the 'credits' I had earned. Each blamed the other,... kinda like way they blame each other about the pump shut-off limits.
I has a Citi-Bank card for about 25 years at the time, a Master Card prior to them being a Visa. And I quit them cold turkey cause they couldn't get their act together.

No doubt the PenFed card is a 'money saver',... when it works. They depend on proper reporting from the stations and when they don't, Pen Fed apparently has no method to make sure my 5% discount is applied. On my first statement, I had only one purchase and received a credit of $6+. The second statement gave me a $12+ credit but should have been about $25. That's irritating to me and if it happens often I'll just cancel the card. I realize that's cutting off my nose in spite of my face, but at my age I need the irritation less than I need the money.

Thanks Don,... and to all that has responded.
GWinger
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #12

Good point. Over the last several months, many of the biggest credit card companies have raised interest rates and tested new annual fees on some products. However, for reduced rates and no fees, the PenFed Promise Visa is ideal. This charge card beats just about anything out there. All you have to have is a tie to the U.S. military.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had Shell stations not accept the card at the pump a few times (wanted me to come inside), so I don't stop at Shell anymore. I usually look for a station that has a reasonable price and that I can get into. The 5% is an extra since I had to fillup anyway. Don't do a detailed check of my statements, but in general they seem give me the correct cash back. If you have a Pilot/Flying J Frequent Fueler card, you get an additional 3 cents off, plus you can fill up on one swipe of the card. The Flying J usually has an RV lane.

Tags
fuel