Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I got a letter from PenFed about a month ago that the Rewards Card would start charging a $25 per year fee and the gas discount would go down to 3%. So, I called them yesterday to check on alternative cards (only 1 w/5% and that ends in Dec). The lady told me I could open a Money Market Savings Account with $25 and that would exempt me from the annual fee and the discount % reduction. Took about 5 minutes, funded with my CC.
Mike
Ditto.
Marvin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #30

It was getting just 'too complicated' for me. I 'checked out'. Got my $5 back from 'savings' in about a month from canceling. I wasn't all that impressed with PenFed's help when there were improper charges (a serious lack of help really) and once in a while proper credit for my 'pay-at-the-pump' purchases were not applied.
So, when they added the new rules, I give them up.
floridasnow

Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
We took a trip last month so we used quite a bit of fuel. When I got my PenFed bill $56.00 dollars came off. They also just start offering great rates on CDs.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
We took a trip last month so we used quite a bit of fuel. When I got my PenFed bill $56.00 dollars came off. They also just start offering great rates on CDs.
That's really great. A good savings for you. You must have spent a fortune on fuel. LOL
Glad you get a benefit from PenFed.
floridasnow
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasnow View Post
It was getting just 'too complicated' for me. I 'checked out'. Got my $5 back from 'savings' in about a month from canceling. I wasn't all that impressed with PenFed's help when there were improper charges (a serious lack of help really) and once in a while proper credit for my 'pay-at-the-pump' purchases were not applied.
So, when they added the new rules, I give them up.
floridasnow
Sorry it didn't work out to your satisfaction. It's saving me a lot of money and I've had no problems with the billing so far!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasnow View Post
It was getting just 'too complicated' for me. I 'checked out'. Got my $5 back from 'savings' in about a month from canceling.
Ditto, except I got $13 and some cents back due to interest added over the past 8 years or so. We were no doubt exactly the kind of customer they were hoping to get rid of ...minimum $ in an account, and always paid the cc in full every month ...they were not making any $$ off us.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #35

I have been using the PenFed card for several years. When we were traveling 10K miles per year it did give back a lot of savings on the diesel fuel.

Lately they have changed the points to get back cash or gifts. Used to be 10,000 points to get $100, now 11,800 points to get $100. So now my 5% on gas now is 4.72% and the 3% on groceries is now 2.83%. Still better than my Bank of America 1.5%.

I haven't heard anything from PenFed about adding an annual fee or needing to start a Money Market Checking Account. Hopefully I won't.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You must have one of their other cards. The one most are discussing is their cash rewards card. 5 preventiva of your monthly pay at the pump purchases are deducted from your statement, no cashing in points.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Sorry it didn't work out to your satisfaction. It's saving me a lot of money and I've had no problems with the billing so far!
Same here, works for me, can scan 2 times on fill up, then I use discover to finish topping off, discover also gives 5% on the rewards card.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
You must have one of their other cards. The one most are discussing is their cash rewards card. 5 preventiva of your monthly pay at the pump purchases are deducted from your statement, no cashing in points.
You're right, I didn't realize that there was a Cash Rewards card. Mine is just a Platinum Rewards card. It is nice in that you get 3% on supermarkets as well as the 5% gas. We spend a lot at Walmart Supercenters and everything gets the 3% back, including things like TVs, Computers, Tires, etc. So I'll probably just stick with the card I have and not have to pay the $25 per year fee or have to put more money in their bank. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bago40 View Post
You're right, I didn't realize that there was a Cash Rewards card. Mine is just a Platinum Rewards card. It is nice in that you get 3% on supermarkets as well as the 5% gas. We spend a lot at Walmart Supercenters and everything gets the 3% back, including things like TVs, Computers, Tires, etc. So I'll probably just stick with the card I have and not have to pay the $25 per year fee or have to put more money in their bank. Thanks for the clarification.

Bill, you only have to make a one-time deposit of $25 in a Money Market Saving account (which you can do with another credit card) to get the 5% rebate on the Cash Rewards Visa card, and there is no yearly fee. Works for me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bill, you only have to make a one-time deposit of $25 in a Money Market Saving account (which you can do with another credit card) to get the 5% rebate on the Cash Rewards Visa card, and there is no yearly fee. Works for me!
Thanks Joe. My card doesn't have a yearly fee or a need to deposit any more money. I just don't get cash back into the account. I get PenFed Debit cards to spend, so I don't think that I am missing much, since I also get 3% back on all groceries (and anything at Walmart Supercenters).