Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
PenFed credit cards

There was a thread on IRV2 some time ago about which credit card was the best for RV'ers. Several of you mentioned PenFed and that they were giving 5 percent cash back on gasoline purchases.

I asked the question did that also apply to diesel. As I recall, I got mixed answers to that. I called PenFed at that time and they told me that if the pump sent back the correct code you would get the discount, but they could not tell me if diesel pumps at truck stops would send that code. I'm sure that if you bought diesel at the regular pumps at convenience stores that you would get it, but I can't get my MH into those pumps.

My question is this. Have any of you PenFed card users filled up at the diesel pumps at truck stops, and if so, are you SURE that you got the 5 percent cash rebate??????

Second question is, assuming the pumps will shut off at the $75 to $100 limit for credit cards, will they let you scan the card again and again until you fill up your MH?

I would really like to get some straight answers on this. The 5 percent savings really appeals to me! Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #2

Well Ill jump in here and say that SOME diesel pumps do and SOME DO NOT I have the Pen Fed card and while the 5% is a great feature the BS was not.
I use it and if I get it great if not no biggie I pay the card with my BoA card and get 3% for that so Im good

Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't speak to the diesel question but I can to the second swipe question. Second swipe is sometimes doable but typically not, in my experience. So with a typical $100 limit and a 75 gallon tank it's a problem. The limit is set by the station and their card merchant account. There was a thread not too long ago on this topic.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have fueled at several truck stops and used the pumps the truckers use. Some truck stops do not allow one to use a credit card at the pump and others do allow them. These pumps do not have the typical limit that car pumps have. I haven't had to restart the pump because of a preset limit. I have always got the 5% discount when I used my PenFed card at the pump.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like every time I swipe my credit card, it says "SEE THE CASHIER" I go inside, they ask me what pump I'm on, and ask me how much I want to put in, I usually go when the tank is close to 1/4. I usually just ask for $200 worth and that's it. It's just a pain in the ass to have to go in every time.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never had a station limit me to a certain number of swipes. I have a 55 gallon tank though, and never let it get below 1/4 tank, so the most I've ever had to swipe is three times. And I love my PenFed card.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I buy diesel with that card . I do get the discount when I pay at the pump and I have been able to swipe twice . At those times that I am at a ' Gas Station' I go inside to see clerk first and they will allow me to fill tank past the $100 limit . I then have to go back inside to pay. Mostly a PIA . My preferred method is to fuel at a truckstop and as others have mentioned , if you can use card at the pump , you get the discount. If you have to go inside to pay , such as Flying J, then you do not get the discount. It does make a good card to have as a backup or to use when discount is applicable
Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe......We have been using the PenFed card for almost three years now. It works on diesel and gasoline. I rarely fill at the large stations like Flying J or Pilot because I think they are a pain. But when I do, the card works there too. It's ONLY requirement is that you fill at the pump to get the 5%. Mine will only allow me to swipe it twice before it says see cashier.

Some will argue, especially the fuel stations, that the dollar amount is set by the card company. The card companies will say that it's set by the stations. The reality is that the dollar amount is set by the company that is guaranteeing the card, which is an intermediary insurer for the fuel station.

My local Shell allows two $99.00 purchases, but generally when I get out of California, I get two $125.00 purchases or more.

PenFed takes the 5% off of the bill at the end of the month. I just looked at my last statement and so far this year I saved $156.00 on fuel.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
...PenFed takes the 5% off of the bill at the end of the month. I just looked at my last statement and so far this year I saved $156.00 on fuel.
So only about $25 per month? $4 diesel and a 100 gal tank and that 5% is just one fillup??? Is that because of card limitations, or just not driving that much?

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
x2 on what Diplomat Don said. There is no limit to your rebates. If you go to the Flying J RV lane and use the Frequent Filler card (or whatever it is called) you can fill on one swipe, plus you get the Flying J 3 cent discount. You must pay at the pump. I believe that many of the Flying J stations now have pay at the pump available at the truck pumps also.

I see that Don uses Shell, but I have found that when I tried Shell in Texas I got the "SEE THE CASHIER" message, so I haven't used them for the last 2 years.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My problem is that I have a 128 gallon tank. I usually try to fill up at the next truck stop after the fuel gauge gets below 1/2 tank. That means that I usually spend around $250 per fill-up. If I can swipe the card three times that would be OK, but if not, it's gonna be a pain!

Someone mentioned the 3 cent discount with Flying J, but at around $4 per gallon on diesel the 5 percent rebate with PenFed will amount to 20 cents per gallon! That's a LOT of difference! PenFed told me that the 5 percent rebate could change at any time but I think I'll go ahead and get the card and save while I can!

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....How are you paying now? If it's with a credit card, just use the same credit card if the PenFed card has already been swiped twice. I think on two occasions, I didn't get the coach completely filled with two swipes. I pulled out my Capitol One card and got air miles on the rest of the fill-up. I wouldn't give up on the PenFed card because it MAY have a limit at some stations.

I know that some prefer not to be hassled with resetting the pump, but I NEVER give a card to a gas station and walk away. That's the fastest way to credit fraud and identity theft.

"Kathryn"....I don't understand your math or statement. If you buy $400.00 worth of fuel in a month, you only owe PenFed $380.00 You're not going to get rich, but since I have to use a credit card anyway, I might as well get some money back. We have a big trip coming up in the fall and I'm guessing we'll save about $250.00 this year. That's one fill up in the motor home.

"mikelm48".... I have the same issues with certain Shell stations and rarely use them. It just so happens that the closest diesel station to my house is Shell. This particular Shell always works. I've called Shell with the issue and they can't figure it out and probably really don't care.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don, that's probably what I'll do. I am applying for the PenFed card today and will use it where I can, then finish off with my Mastercard. We pay off the MC each month and get a 1 percent rebate on everything and 5 percent rebate on certain things each quarter ( but NEVER on diesel).

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"I know that some prefer not to be hassled with resetting the pump, but I NEVER give a card to a gas station and walk away. That's the fastest way to credit fraud and identity theft."

DW and I both had credit card fraud in June. We know it happened at a Love's on I40 in AZ. She used her card and when it shut off at $125, the pump would not accept it again. So I used my card and later in the month both cards went to Las Vegas without us. They didn't have a good time, cause BoA picked up on it right away. BoA said it was safer to take the card in and give it to the clerk than to use it at the pump. We will likely take the card inside and one of us stay with it from now on.

Glenn