Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Penn State RV tailgate -- Newbie Questions

Hi,

We picked up our family rig just two weeks ago and have already gone camping to Annapolis. Now its time for some tailgating, but I have a few questions for anyone who has taken their RV to State College.

1. Where can we find potable water to fill the fresh water tank before the game?

2. Is there an over the air channel that plays the game or do we need to get DISH or something?

3. Do we require an exhaust extension for the generator so it exits at the top of the RV?

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

All the best, gigamanx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new rig. Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure others will be along to give you the lo down. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 and Penn State Tailgating!

1. Where can we find potable water to fill the fresh water tank before the game? - I normally fill my tank before leaving home. There might some, but I'm not aware of any public potable water fill stations in the State College area. There are some campgrounds, but I don't know if you can fill your tank unless you have a reservation.

2. Is there an over the air channel that plays the game or do we need to get DISH or something? - That depends on who is carrying the game each week. If it's on ABC and your RV is equipped for Digital Over-the-Air reception, you should be able to pick up the game. If it's on ESPN or BTN, you will need DISH/DIRECTV with an appropriate subscription.

3. Do we require an exhaust extension for the generator so it exits at the top of the RV? - I don't believe an exhaust extension is required per the "official" parking rules. However, I think it should be. I'm not sure which lot you will be parking in, but most of them have the RV's parked fairly close together. There's nothing worse (and more dangerous) than having your neighbor's generator exhaust blowing directly into your tailgate.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
PSU Tailgating

Hi gigamanx,

#1 you can fill up at home or it depends on what way you are entering State College, from the east on rt.322 you can get off the Milroy exit and go to TOMS truck stop they have potable water.If from rt. 80 get off at the Bellefonte exit and go to Fort Bellefonte C/G you can google it for more info.

#2 I think the game is carried on 93.7 its a local fm station

#3 we use an exhaust extension on our genny.

Do you have a prepaid RV parking pass?? If not you can pay at the gate, I think game day RV parking is $80.00

Go to website gopsusports.com and there are Game Day notices and maps

One thing I can say you will have a good time, we enter lots off of Porter rd. Get there early, gates open 7am this Sat.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

OU football has water and dump station
Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

Some great info and tips. Thanks all! I did call Tom's since they are on our way. Looks like they have a dump station and a water fill up in the same spot. I won't want to drink the water, but it will work just fine for dishes, showers, and flushing.

My RV came with a satellite dish, so I'll have to see about getting that hooked up. No idea how old it is or if DISH or DirecTV are the way to go. From what I've read, DISH is sub-par even though the pay-as-you-go plan is awful tempting. Anyone have experience with them?

We are a courteous family, so I'll get started on fabing up a gen extension. I looked at the premade ones and it looks like a PVC pipe with an elbow of exhaust on the end. Can't be too hard to make one

@REB16 I wasn't sure where OU football was. Is that near State College?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV LYONS View Post
Hi gigamanx,

#1 you can fill up at home or it depends on what way you are entering State College, from the east on rt.322 you can get off the Milroy exit and go to TOMS truck stop they have potable water.If from rt. 80 get off at the Bellefonte exit and go to Fort Bellefonte C/G you can google it for more info.

#2 I think the game is carried on 93.7 its a local fm station

#3 we use an exhaust extension on our genny.

Do you have a prepaid RV parking pass?? If not you can pay at the gate, I think game day RV parking is $80.00

Go to website gopsusports.com and there are Game Day notices and maps

One thing I can say you will have a good time, we enter lots off of Porter rd. Get there early, gates open 7am this Sat.
Awesome help! We bought our overnight RV pass yesterday. I'm not a fan of traffic when I'm driving such a large vehicle so I hope to be there Friday night and avoid game day folks.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have never used the MH to tailgate but I have a question. Do the University or pro stadium parking lots allow you to park overnight? Seems like a good idea after a day of eating and drinking beer or whatever. If not a CG nearby tossing the grill in the trunk of the toad would be much easier. A designated driver is a good idea then.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We have never used the MH to tailgate but I have a question. Do the University or pro stadium parking lots allow you to park overnight? Seems like a good idea after a day of eating and drinking beer or whatever. If not a CG nearby tossing the grill in the trunk of the toad would be much easier. A designated driver is a good idea then.
I can't speak for all stadiums, but Beaver Stadium has a section for overnight RV parking. You can't just overnight in any RV area. You stay from Friday to Sunday. Toads are charged as an extra vehicle so you pay for that separately. Boondocking is required as there are no hookups.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Some great info and tips. Thanks all! I did call Tom's since they are on our way. Looks like they have a dump station and a water fill up in the same spot. I won't want to drink the water, but it will work just fine for dishes, showers, and flushing.

My RV came with a satellite dish, so I'll have to see about getting that hooked up. No idea how old it is or if DISH or DirecTV are the way to go. From what I've read, DISH is sub-par even though the pay-as-you-go plan is awful tempting. Anyone have experience with them?

We are a courteous family, so I'll get started on fabing up a gen extension. I looked at the premade ones and it looks like a PVC pipe with an elbow of exhaust on the end. Can't be too hard to make one

@REB16 I wasn't sure where OU football was. Is that near State College?

You should be ok with the water from Tom's as long as you are not drinking it or using it to brush your teeth. Technically I don't think it is considered potable water because of its proximity to the dump station. I don't think it's marked as non-potable, but it's sort of like the water at dump stations in campgrounds.

Is your dish mounted or portable? If it's mounted, is it an automatic or manual crank up? I personally use the DISH Pay-As-You-Go service with a mounted manual crank up dish. The customer service with DISH is sometimes frustrating when trying to start or stop the service. However, if you search the forums, there are lots of tips on how to make it a little less painful. I think the biggest advantage of DISH is the ability to receive HD with a wide variety of dish styles. With DIRECTV, HD reception is limited to a few styles. If you do go with DISH and have a manual, single LNB dish, point it to satellite 61.5 when in Happy Valley. Satellite 61.5 will allow you to receive the network channels as well as ESPN and BTN without moving your dish.

If you do a search on the forums for "Genturi", you should find some threads on making your own.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Awesome help! We bought our overnight RV pass yesterday. I'm not a fan of traffic when I'm driving such a large vehicle so I hope to be there Friday night and avoid game day folks.
The Overnight RV Lot is a lot of fun! I enjoy missing all the traffic by coming in on Fridays and leaving Sundays. I'm assuming your going to Homecoming this weekend? Unfortunately, I have to miss this game. A non-Penn State Niece is getting married and didn't check the football schedule! If your coming to any other games, let me know and we can enjoy an adult beverage or four.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #12

My two cents... Buy the Gen-Turi, you'll be happy you did...

It really is worth the money and it looks better than a hillbilly look-a-like...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #13

We went down to PSU for Homecoming and the opening of the Pegula Hockey Rink last year. It was a blast but you are shoehorned into a field with thousands of your closest friends. Have a great time!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #14

Penn State RV tailgate -- Newbie Questions

We tailgate a couple of times each year. We have one of these. It is the neighborly thing to do.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...t-system/14041

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Tags