Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
While camping in NC three years there was a 26' fiver that was being pulled by an aged Chevy S10. They had pulled it from Tx. I asked the guy how it pulled. His comment was "once I got air springs and inflated my tires to 65 lbs (15" tires, it pulled pretty good on flat roads but was a **tch on the hills".

I guess if you're going to be that stupid, you had better be that lucky.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'll jump in here with my 2cents worth as well! All of us were "inexperienced" RV'ers once and we all learned by the "school of hard knocks". I'll never forget our first 5th wheel-the dealer hitched it up and said .."here it is, have fun!" We didn't have a CLUE how to drive it off the lot.

Therein lies the problem - the school of "hard knocks" comes at the expense of others on the road, trial and error and insurance claims for stupid mistakes you didn't know you were making because you weren't educated in the safe operation of an RV..whether towing, 5'ving or driving!

We all see things on the road that we can't imagine anyone doing...but they do! And somehow they manage to make it home safely (this time) and look forward to the next trip out!

To add even more to the confusion, Hollywood has now produced the new Robin Williams movie entitled "RV" - yes, it's hilarious and funny (with Robin Williams, how could it not be?), but what scares me is how many MORE people are going to think that's what RV'ing is all about!

RV'ing is SERIOUS business and I, for one, think somehow we have to change the industry to provide training for RV operators before allowing them to leave the lot...not just for their sake and sanity, but for the millions of others on the road!

Off my perch now!

2000 - Texas Boomers Wagonmaster - 2016
2004 & 2008 iRV2 National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #17
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I honestly don't think the majority of these folks are wacko or stupid, just uninformed. There are new families taking to the roads in RV's every day who have never owned one before. They don't know about tow ratings and trailer weights. They are at the mercey of the truck and camper salesmen. I think we are seeing the need for special licensing for driving these ever growing behemoths on wheels if for no other reason other than to educate those newbies out there who don't know any better. This has happened in the boating world. Boating safety classes are required in most states for people under a certain age before they can operate a boat, and it is enforced. I am not one for goverment interference, but in this case it is the public safety at risk, and I strongly believe education and knowledge = safety.
2005 F-250 XLT 4X4 V-10
2006 Wildcat 31QBH
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Rick, I tend to agree with you, although it's regrettable that the industry has let it get this bad without "policing" itself.
Yes, there's something to be said about whether the industry is at fault, but as you have mentioned in the boating industry, the government has stepped in and mandated the boater safety courses..
Will never forget the time I saw a young man run a jet ski into the dock, at a slow speed thank goodness, but he was looking for the brake!!

The plight of the RV'er, I am afraid is going to be more and more government licensing, such as a non-commercial license for motor home drivers.
Virginia classifies them as RV's and thus there's no license required.....yet!!

As I have a commercial Class A with air brake endorsement, I'm at least covered....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #19
As for license for RVs, how far do we go. About 2 weeks ago we saw a tent trailer towed by a small SUV doing about 65. The trailer was swaying, not bad, about 4" to each side, but to me any sway that goes on is potential disaster. It would straighten out sometimes, maybe they slowed a bit, then it would start again. They didn't apprear to be aware anything was happening. My point is that it isn't just the big rigs. A lot of people think they can hook onto something and if they can pull it they are fine to go.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote