Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Is your impression that most RV'ers are white?
Yes 121 89.63%
No 14 10.37%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Change the wording to "Race." Heck, it is still on most applications. Or string it out.

2010 Census:
White; Black or African; A. Indian/Alaska Nat.; Asian; Hawaiian N. & Pacific Is.; Some other, etc. So what does Colored (American Spelling) mean? White, Black, Brown, Yellow. For gosh sake, the terminology is use all the time. Why can't one word, colored, be used.

Ask a physicist. They will say black is not a color, white is a color. Ask an artist (or child) and they will say that black is a color, white is not a color. It is a long, long debated issue.

So, how many white people of color have you seen RV'ing?
How many black people of color have you seen RV'ing
How many, aw shucks, to many to list, OTHERS have you seen RV'ing

I get to travel and stay at military facilities. I have seen 10's of thousands of white colored people RV'ing. I have seen less than a hundred of black colored people RV'ing. I have seen less than a hundred OTHER colored people camping.

The relationship of black and other to white is very low, but it is there. Why? I don't have the slightest idea, and seriously, it doesn't matter. What matters is that each is doing what they want to do, and hopefully having fun. All RV'ers are welcome into my campsite.

Happy trails.

P.S. Sorry for the long rant - it just got to me.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #30
Freightliner Owners Club
What in the world is uncomfortable about someone's skin color. Nothing mentioned has shown any attempt to discriminate or insult.

The RV lifestyle is available to all that choose to participate. Whether it is their lifestyle choice depends on many factors. I strongly believe that pigmentation is not and should not be a major consideration in that choice.

Ken: I did not vote, I don't believe it is an issue. FWIW- I also don't feel you should be criticized for asking......

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
Triple E Owners Club
I apologize to anyone that I may of offended with the use of the word "coloured" I think that it is the wrong word to use with some Americans as there is a connection to segregation.

To me I was trying to encompass all visible minorities with my question as up here when it comes to visible minorities black folks are not that common.

But it would appear that my original observation is shared by 90% of the posters. So my question would appear valid.

Thanks to those who have answered the question/poll, the more knowledge we have the better people we are.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
This question plain puzzles me....I spent a few minutes turning my travels over in my mind, and can't think of any time when I actually noticed what color other RVers/campers are.

Though I suppose pigeonholed by some as " a person of no color", I myself am "beige" due to the long ago marriage of my Great Great Grands, one of whom was Native Chilean.
I have seen a lot of questions on this forum that were puzzling. I guess the best way to get a question answered is to ask. I didn't see anything belittling about the question. Just an observation.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
This would have been a great discussion topic in my Sociology 101 course, all those many years ago. This thread has made me think about our recent travels around the country. I do not recall seeing any non-caucasians in the various RV parks that we stayed at - mostly KOAs. The people at the National Parks were mainly white, with Asians becoming more frequent in the California parks.

Here in southern New Yok, within 50 miles of NY City, most of the visitors to the state parks are Latino and Black. As with other groups, they seem to really enjoy camping, picnicing, swimming, and hiking. To my mind, this argues against the idea that early family experience is a major factor in the "RV Divide".

Hey, maybe I can get a nice grant to study this. I'm thinking that 5 years in a Newmar - make that a Prevost - would give me just about the right amount of time.

Your tax dollars at work.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I don't know why it disgusts me; it just does. You don't have to agree with me, but I'm entitled to my opinion.

And I will add that it is uncomfortable to me and I am a bit disgusted by the all the use of the word "They" in so many of these posts.

There is no "THEY" in America...it is "WE the people..." And that is exactly what makes us strong.

This thread is just divisive: Adjective:Tending to cause disagreement or hostility between people.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
And I will add that it is uncomfortable to me and I am a bit disgusted by the all the use of the word "They" in so many of these posts.

There is no "THEY" in America...it is "WE the people..." And that is exactly what makes us strong.

This thread is just divisive: Adjective:Tending to cause disagreement or hostility between people.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
God made all people different, Col. Colt made people equal !!!
Now I think it is Camping / RVing that makes us all equal.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
I thought this was an interesting topic....but was wonder how long it would take before it became an issue beyond the question itself. Answer: not very long at all :P

My background (education wise) is Native affairs & Ethnic studies...that was the focus of my 1st degree. Although it's sometimes not nice to use the word "they", society has become over sensitized from a long history of prejudice/racism. In this context, I understand that "they" is merely referring to a group of people that might be from a "visual minority", depending on where one lives. I agree, we are all human beings and should be referred to as nothing other....but come on, when we're speaking in the context of this discussion, one is not out of line by referring to any group as "they". Could one dance around using said word, and maybe replace it with another? perhaps. But even I have a hard time not referring to a specific group of people as a "they" when I'm speaking about them directly. It's just like calling a group of teenagers "they", or a group of guys on motorcyclist "they". Nothing derogatory intended.

On the wall of Modern History/Sociology dept of the university I went to, I remember there was a comic strip in the deans office. A young white guy stole a purse from an elderly black woman. The cop asks the Witness: "What did you see, and describe the individuals involved, what did they look like?" "The thief was a man, I'm bad with guessing height, but maybe 5'' tall?? short hair, and was wearing a black jacket. The woman had white/gray hair, a long tan coat and walked with a cane" Cop: "you're going to have to give me more details, like what did this short guy look like, and was this woman old?" Witness: "I never said he was short, he was about 5ft tall, and I didn't call the woman old, that would be ageism. He had a round face, and her face was thin". Cop: "Is there a reason why you're being vague? what color were they? I need to know". Witness: "oh, I don't see skin color officer, I'm not like that. Everyone is equal in my eyes". Cop: "You're a Liberal Arts student, aren't you? Witness: "Yeah, major in Sociology, how did you know??"

Anyway, do I see many RVers of visual minority or who might be classified as being of an ethnicity/racial group other than Caucasian? In my area, I'm starting to, but the numbers are not high...at least not yet. As to the reasoning, there's no point speculating over why more people of other racial groups aren't camping...but if you would like, I could give you a 2500 word academic opinion lol.

and I'll add, I agree that referring to ppl as "colored" is not appropriate (as 05kstar mentioned below me), although I know the intentions were sincere. It's a common term with older people folks, but things have changed substantially in the last 20yrs+. Terms used in the past are no longer acceptable
36ft Damon Intruder Class A - 37ft National Sea Breeze LX Class A
-Past RVs: 19ft Sportsman, 24ft Jayco, 30ft Coachmen Mirada. We had some good times.
"Im a car guy...you've been warned" lol
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
The OP's use of the word coloured I feel is inappropriate given its historical implications.However I believe the hopefully well-intentioned question is not out of place.That being said,I believe his observations as well as some others,is more based on geography than any other factor.I travel mostly in the mid-atlantic and southern U.S.,and non-Caucasians are no longer an unusual sight to see.The orginization,NAARVA,for instance is a mostly African-American group that has thousands of members that enjoy and promote R.V.'ing.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #39
IMHO the least offensive term for a discussion like this is "race" or "mixed race", where colour or not doesn't even enter into it, it's just an honest description of a person(s) ancestry.

TN, I quote you here only because you mentioned it.

Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
mr canuck in the us most of us have gotten over a 1875 mindset
You are thankfully quite correct, however, you are also unfortunately quite correct. The fact is indisputable, "most" have gotten over it, but far from all.

My first wife was a mixed race South African who could have been (and often was) mistaken for Latino.

In our travels together I lost count of the number of times it was painfully clear that we (a mixed race couple) were being treated, well, to put it politely, "much differently" than we would have been if we were not a mixed couple.

We've come a long way as a society, but there's still ways to go.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try this, National African American RV Association. They were have a rally at a park I was at last year. They were very friendly, nice and had late model rigs. 1400 members nationally.

2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' DST
1996 Geo Tracker 4X4 Toad
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a difference between race and ethnicity. Co-culture would be a more accurate term.

I felt that the OP was using "people of colour" in a similar way one might use the term "person with a handicap" in that the colour or handicap does not define the person.

It was a question that seemed to be asked to gain knowledge, not to disparage.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #42
Vintage RV Owners Club
Probably the most important question raised by this thread is:

Why do so many people spell the word "color" wrong???

Closed Thread