Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Is your impression that most RV'ers are white?
Yes 121 89.63%
No 14 10.37%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
I agree that the question could have been asked a little different, but for lack of a better term, it's a social feeler...they are trying to see if what they observe is correct.

But I wouldn't say it's blatantly offensive. I can sense not too many ppl participating are open minded academics.Take a Sociology class ppl...there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers.

Next Poll Question:

"Is it your impression that a lot of open minded academics would read this stuff?"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
I think this is the new Walmart thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Next Poll Question:

"Is it your impression that a lot of open minded academics would read this stuff?"

Good one...well played. . Maybe I was a bit harsh, but I remember being the guy in class that would ask the Qs others wouldn't dare. I've learned a lot from doing that. I felt bad when ppl started flaming him.

When a topic starts to go sideways in the ditch, we have a special smiley just for that << that's where this thread is likely going to end up (some will get that smiley, some won't)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our friends and family had this discussion over twenty years ago. We were camping in our 5er, with various tents, pop-up, and TT in a state park. We were in a mixed racial group. We noticed that there no Mexicans or African-Americans elsewhere in the camp ground. So our conclusion was this: The members of those races were too close to having to survive in adverse conditions to enjoy the camping, when they had a home and roof over their heads to enjoy. However, lately we see more and more "non-whites" in campgrounds. So maybe there are more who are learning that RVs aren't a deprivation and far from roughing it.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #61
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar
I agree that the question could have been asked differently, but I get that it's a social feeler...they're trying to see if what they observe is correct. He's saying basically "RVers seem to be mostly white dudes and chicks, am I wrong here"?. Is he??

I wouldn't say it's blatantly offensive, but I can sense not too many ppl participating here are open minded academics that can recognize the innocent intentions behind the question. Take a Sociology class... there are no wrong questions, only wrong answers.

Although I mean well too, I'm gonna peace out before someone gets all p*ssed at me

p.s - as of now, over 120ppl voted, so take that for what it's worth
When we become adults, there are always wrong or dumb questions. And this is one of them. As adults, we should no what a valuable question is by now. This is like, baiting. An adult would know that 13% of our population is African American which would set the math up for an easy answer to the question.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #62

Quote:
I don't know why it disgusts me; it just does. You don't have to agree with me, but I'm entitled to my opinion.
Well said Sarah!

I was taken aback that a poll question like this would even be posted to be honest. I'd thought we, as a people, had gotten past the whole "race" issue.

Does it really matter what the color of someones skin is at the campground? Not to me it doesn't. As long as people are having a good time by themselves or with family and friends - to me, that's ALL that matters!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGlue

Well said Sarah!

I was taken aback that a poll question like this would even be posted to be honest. I'd thought we, as a people, had gotten by the whole "race" issue.

Does it really matter what the color of someones skin is at the campground? Not to me it doesn't. As long as people are having a good time by themselves or with family and friends.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #64

Honest answer from me and me only, so dont take it any other way. It is my opinion and I ok this post...............

Back in the days (those who can remember the 40s-50s and somewhat of the 60s), I feel certain there were familes of color (as you put it) camping in the northeast.

I also feel pretty confident that in those days and before, to see a family or person OF COLOR (lord, I hate that term) FROM THE SOUTH camping m just didnt happen. It just didnt fit in the daily lifestyle. That may have set off some bells and whistles to the local law officals. (if you aint from the south in those days, you wont understand that statement, and if you were from the south, you would.)

I do believe that those , people of color, are finally catching up to the wonderful world of rving that many have known for many years.

Personally I think that is really the only reason.

And I agree, this question could rub salt in old wounds.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #65

If you are serious about this discussiion, see NAARVA.COM and examine all the different clubs in every state.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #66

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Next Poll Question:

I teach communication studies. I welcome any honest question that starts a dialogue.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #67
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a racist, but did you hear the one about.........
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #68
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGlue View Post
Well said Sarah!

I was taken aback that a poll question like this would even be posted to be honest. I'd thought we, as a people, had gotten past the whole "race" issue.!
I think we should cut the OP some slack on this because he is from another country (Candada) and I believe Canadians don't have some of the same issues and hangups that a lot of people in this country have. I believe he asked an honest and simlpe qestion that should have gotten a simple answer (yes or no). I took "most" to mean more than 50% which may be true. There could have been some discussion on why it's that way with out makeing it a race issue.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I think we should cut the OP some slack on this because he is from another country (Candada) and I believe Canadians don't have some of the same issues and hangups that a lot of people in this country have. I believe he asked an honest and simlpe qestion that should have gotten a simple answer (yes or no). I took "most" to mean more than 50% which may be true. There could have been some discussion on why it's that way with out makeing it a race issue.
i am a former canadien,if we forgive him or cut him some slack lets have a poll 1 how many frogs have you encounterd while camping (offesive term for french but i should be allowed to use it becaues my family line go back to my family leaving france in the 1600's) poll 2 how many canucks (a once offensive name) go camping. 3 how come all Americans are hung up on the 2nd ammendment (a question i am always asked in canada 4 how come Americans think they are better than the rest of the world ,have been asked this one many times (and it is the only one i have an answer for CAUSE WE ARE
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #70

We ALL know the majority of the reason...it needs NO further discussion....lets get this whole thread removed before it gets ugly by stating facts/history which will them be considered racist. Avoid the situation and remove this thread...PLEASE!

Tags
rving