Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Is your impression that most RV'ers are white?
Yes 121 89.63%
No 14 10.37%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
People of colour and RV'ing

I have not seen many people of colour in RV's. Is my impression wrong? Or if it is correct, why? Mostly what I see are old white folks, the old part I understand (especially being in those ranks) but the colour part has me baffled.

Thanks

KTK

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well my DW is a philpenna ( a brownie)

She loves having a rv to travel and camp in.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Well my DW is a philpenna ( a brownie)

She loves having a rv to travel and camp in.
Most folks of colour around here are of Asian background and one thing I can promise you is that they love good iron.

Next time she is nice to you say "Salamat".

KTK
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I own a site in Indian Acres Club in Thornburg, VA and the ratio seems to be pretty equal parts. This is very unscientific of course.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've notice the same thing although a month or so ago we were at our favorite campground and there was a club out of Portland OR there. Those that we met and camped next to were nice. Still don't know what club it was though.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I voted yes. However I see evidence of this changing.

I also suspect reasons for this..

There is one fact however: Nobody is telling non-whites NOT to adopt the RV life style.. They just have fewer numbers who have gotten there.

One campground I frequent has a number of "off-white" members, Including one who I used to work when back when my job was telling him where to go (police dispatcher).

For many years Blacks tended to be denied high paying jobs, and/or equal pay for the same job. Same as women to this very day in many places.

Today laws say you shall not discriminate.. Thus more and more are able to afford the "Start up cost" of RVing.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
while i totally agree with the comment of wa8xym, id like to add that most of [US]persons of colour have not been exposed to the great experiences that come along with RV'ing. the camping, the family outings, and overall good times that come along with having an rv. also, while it is my opinion that there arent a lot of persons of colour that actually "camp", there are plenty of us that own motorhomes. everything from the entry level/older model's all the way up to the luxury high end stuff. and yes, i have even seen some in the ranks with prevost's. I know this to be fact. ever been to a HBCU tailgate?
while im new myself, i have seen persons of colour that own MH's for a while now.
on kind of a side note, i do not get the response i thought id get when i go to rv dealerships for service or parts. even while i was shopping around, most of the dealerships did not shu-shu me around. being here in the deep south, i totally expected such, and was extremely surprised to not get that treatment.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Talking Interesting Question.

I grew up with in a family that has always loved to hit the road and see this beautiful country. My parents and my uncles owned trailers, campers and motorhomes forty years ago when it was very un-common for people of any color to own these types of vehicles. I have wanted to follow their lead since I was eight years old, the DW and I purchased our 41 foot DutchStar DP in 1/2012. I tease the best uncle in the world and remind him everyday that he is the reason I am in this mess now---lol My parents would load me and my siblings into the truck and camper every year in early June for the family cross country trip. It was a great way to grow up and the idea of just going to go has stayed with me.

The DW and I have been very blessed and successful and we are able to own a nice RV because we have chosen to be part is this life style. I have a large number of very wealthy and successful close friends that get a real kick out of me living this RV dream. It is however a life style that they have no plans to join anytime soon. There are a large number of people of color that do choose to own RV's and enjoy this life style.

This is an interesting question, may I ask why you ask this question.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEGEE1997 View Post
This is an interesting question, may I ask why you ask this question.

It may be in part in large part to where I am from is the Vancouver area of British Columbia, Canada. I would have to say that I have never seen a couple of colour in a RV (a whiteman with a lady or colour, yes). This made me wonder why. In my area I wouldn't be surprised to that 20-25% are visible minorities. The Asian folks seem to enjoy driving nice iron, top of the line cars and SUV's. Spending money for good wheels doesn't seem to be a problem.

So this made me start thinking why? Coloured folks do not take well to be told that they can't ride in the front of the bus, nor where they can live, etc. etc. The whole civil rights movement. So I thought maybe the world evolved around the time that RVing became popular and nobody said "hey you can't do this".

So like I said, I understand why we old folks like RVing and can afford to, but why do I only see old white folks?

Thanks for your input and help. I tend to think that maybe the real reason is there simply is not that many folks of colour around here except those of Asian extraction. And RV'ing and camping are not part of the Asian culture.

Do you think that I'm correct?

Thanks

KTK
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTheKanuck View Post
It may be in part in large part to where I am from is the Vancouver area of British Columbia, Canada. I would have to say that I have never seen a couple of colour in a RV (a whiteman with a lady or colour, yes). This made me wonder why. In my area I wouldn't be surprised to that 20-25% are visible minorities. The Asian folks seem to enjoy driving nice iron, top of the line cars and SUV's. Spending money for good wheels doesn't seem to be a problem.

So this made me start thinking why? Coloured folks do not take well to be told that they can't ride in the front of the bus, nor where they can live, etc. etc. The whole civil rights movement. So I thought maybe the world evolved around the time that RVing became popular and nobody said "hey you can't do this".

So like I said, I understand why we old folks like RVing and can afford to, but why do I only see old white folks?

Thanks for your input and help. I tend to think that maybe the real reason is there simply is not that many folks of colour around here except those of Asian extraction. And RV'ing and camping are not part of the Asian culture.

Do you think that I'm correct?

Thanks

KTK
I truly think it boils down to exposure to the rv's and the life style. Folks of all colors are more prone to purchase their own RV if they have family, friends and neighbors that have rv's. I don't believe it is a financial thing because I have white friends that can afford an RV and choose not to own one. Some folks just can not see themselves driving a vehicle that is solarge.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
CD

If the question had been all white, I would have voted no. Maybe colored people that RV are not as plentifull in this part of the country (NW Wa.)

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Looks of shock.

KTK,

I found your posted question very interesting for many reasons, but mostly because the DW, BUCC the Wonder Dog and I constantly receive the shocked double take looks from our follow rv'ers during our travels. We are shocked that folks that travel this great country, in and out of big and small cities are so shocked to see us on the road beside them enjoying this great life style. Maybe you have found the answer to our question LOL.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #13

We've been camping and traveling now for 5+ years. So far I have seen only one Hispanic family in a CG. They were tent campers. I have seen one bi-racial couple (white man w/black woman) camping, and one time several black men camping with their children at a local CG. It may have been a club since all had RVs and all were next to each other. I saw one Philippino woman and her older white husband. They were camped next to us and very friendly. I remember remarking to my husband one time that there are so few minorities camping. I wondered why more weren't into it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think many realize the fun of RVing for one thing, but I also wonder if "driving such a big rig" might have most in fear. I know a few A-Americans who are RVing and they told me they took classes after classes while their new 40' sat at the dealers for almost two years before they took it home and it the road. Now, they live fulltime in it. The couple = married doctors retired.

Tags
rving