Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't found a bad campground host yet. So our perception is positive. We takl to them when they make their rounds and if we see a problem we'll let them know. If they take core of it fine, if they don't, well, that's OK too. Sometimes a minor "infraction" of the rules is no problem but we let the management decide.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only had one instance to ever "need" to talk to one.. Unfortunately he was never at his site. I only saw him on our departure day as I was driving out.

Woulda liked it if he was actually at his site on occasion. I was at this particular state campground for 2 weeks and stopped by his site every day at diff times..

It did make me wonder why he was there.. Clearly more for the state park than for helping out the campers I guess.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I have never met a bad CG host.....I didn't know there were any.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
We like the State of Arizona campgrounds and have only had issues with one host. All the others we've met have been wonderful and helpful. Our dog hates golf carts to the point where I feel I need to hold her collar firmly if one comes near us. This host was aware that the golf cart he rode caused a serious reaction but persisted in driving by our site constantly. The park wasn't crowded and there was no reason for him to drive by so often as we were out of the way. He commented on our "vicious dog" and I told him it was her reaction to his golf cart and if he could just find a way to avoid driving by our site so frequently there would be no problem. I learned recently that he was asked not to return
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
I think like peace officers cg hosts have a hard job. And some of us don't make it easy on them.
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Those we have encountered have always been courteous and helpful to the best of my recollection. One of the best we've ever seen is Clay Moore at Port of Newport RV Park in Newport, OR. He is the model for all campground hosts.

He greeted us when we first arrived and just after exiting the registration office. He gave us his business card and said when we had time to set up at our site, he would like to stop by and give us some helpful information. He came by after we were set up and sat down with us and told us everything you'd ever want to know about things to see and do in the area and favorite places to eat. He knew the history of the area and he told us about things we would have never discovered during the week we were there. He checked on all the campers daily and always asked if we were enjoying our stay and if we needed anything. The guy was a gem.

As noted by others, I think of a host as more of an embassador than a rule enforcer.

WOW! Don't we wish they were all like that!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have never seen a host before??? I've seen their MH, TT, Rec.vehicle or what ever they are residing in but have never spoke too any off them. Not sure, maybe they were OTL?
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
In general, what do you think of hosts?
92.4% of them are great.
4.8% of them don't seem to give a . . .
2% of them need to find a new hobby
.8% of them make up statistics

Which one's do I usually remember, unfortunately the 2%

As rule enforcers?
There seem to be three types

1 Non-confrontational - "I know it's quiet hours but can you just try to ignore their music. I'm sure they will stop partying soon. Good night."
2 Highly confrontational - Pounding on RV Door, ME:"Hi how are you" HER with a puffed out chest: "You can't lean you bike against the parks picnic table, it might scratch it and that's defacing park property."
3 Just right

As information sources?
Local area attractions they seem to be pretty good at.
Local dining options not so much. Ironically private campground owners seem to spot on with their food recommendations. Haven't figures out why this is yet.

Overall I want a campground host to be invisible. That doesn't mean don't walk around or say hi but don't be overly friendly and if I want some information I will come to you.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"Dog Folks" ......I'm glad you're soliciting responses here.....it means you care about what you're doing. I understand the purpose of a camp host and I think there are different types (jobs and duties) at every campground.

In your situation it sounds like you have time to interact with the campers and really makes for a nice experience for you and them, but I don't think you're the norm. For example....there is a camp host position at Yosemite, Upper Pines, during the fall. I think they're so busy running the check-in booth that they don't have time for anything else. (National Park type host.)

We have a large local campground (Flying Flags in Buelton Ca, near Solvang) that has several husband/wife residents that work camp. The husbands do odd jobs and the wives work the check-in counter. These hosts have very little contact with the guest after check-in. (Large private campground type host.)

I think the third type host is the work camper, helping out where they can and doing many jobs. (Small park type host.)

As I said, you sound like the perfect camp host, but there are two other types we see. The ones that don't have time to make contact with the guests and the ones that are very officious. The officious ones are the ones I have trouble with. Many camp hosts/work campers that I've spoken to are supplementing their income so they can afford the RV life. Often this type host has never managed other people during their career. They now have the opportunity to tell others what to do and take advantage of that. These are the hosts that I would like to see get a better understanding of what their job is, a diplomat for the campground, not Gestapo.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
We have generally also always encountered nice hosts. Those that come by and say "hi" are a bonus, and many of the state parks we've stayed at we've met the local host. It's usually always a pleasant exchange.

Most hosts are not rule enforcers. They may remind you of the rules, but they are not really there to enforce. At least that's the direction we've been given at all of our own hosting jobs.

I've met one or two "militant" hosts, but it's a rare encounter.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
I think like peace officers cg hosts have a hard job. And some of us don't make it easy on them.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #26
most of the ones we have been in contact with have been very helpful with info on where to eat and what places to visit while in town. when they are making rounds they all at least give a nod if not stop and chat if given the chance.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
Never had a problem, some more pleasant than others...just like everyday life...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
Hosts have been friendly, helpful and welcoming.

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote