Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,426
I've always had great experiences with CG hosts. Some of them have gone way out of the way to help. Even had one drive me 20 miles to a Home Depot because I had trouble with the Toad.

I wish all CGs had hosts.
__________________

__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
KarenS144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Paoli, IN
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I am posting this question here, rather than on other forums, because this is a better forum to avoid caustic, snotty, or smart alec responses. In other words the class of members is better here.

We serve as campground hosts, and I believe we are friendly and helpful. Many campers stop by our site just to chat.

I know everyone will have a campground host horror story, and I am not looking for those.

I do wonder, as I make my rounds on a golf cart: What does the average camper think about hosts?

In general, what do you think of hosts? As rule enforcers? As information sources?
We think hosts are more information sources than rule enforcers. They can explain why the formerly nice hot showers are just barely warm and why there are arrows on pavement going one direction one day and a different direction the next.

The one time we had a problem with someone (kids kept running through our site), we contacted the host because we didn't know who else to talk to. The host dealt with the problem. That was in Custer SP.

Whether the hosts have the authority to deal with problems or not, I think a visible host presence may "nip it in the bud" and stop potential problems. It's nice to have someone ask if we're enjoying our stay and if everything is okay with the site. We like to see those scooters with the HOST sign.
__________________

__________________
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
Having stayed at State Parks of Ohio, PA and VT. have meet many camp hosts. Only one time back about 5 years ago there was a camp host at a Ohio park who acted like a camp Nazi. He saw me picking up sticks to start a campfire and approached me with the "rule book" in hand stating rule #13-6.7 states do not move firewood. He interpreted as any wood including sticks on the ground have to stay exactly where they lay on the ground. Then he went on to order me to replace each twig exactly where I found them. I mentioned to him that the park maintenance workers had just finished sawing up dead trees and branches in some of the sites and cut them into small pieces for the purpose of the campers to use in their campfires. He just kept pointing to the "rule book". Not to get anyone's dandruff flowing, I did as he instructed. Later in the day I had a little talk with the other camp host volunteer who said they have received many complaints about the new host and not to worry about it. they were going to have a talk with the new host.

Later in the day the Nazi camp host left, and left his dog chained up barking non-stop for 3 hours. I dared my wife saying I was going to walk over with the "rule book" and point to rule #8-1.5 Thou shall not leave a pet unattended on a campsite, especially if it barks non-stop for 3 hours. I didn't have the heart.
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Having stayed at State Parks of Ohio, PA and VT. have meet many camp hosts. Only one time back about 5 years ago there was a camp host at a Ohio park who acted like a camp Nazi. He saw me picking up sticks to start a campfire and approached me with the "rule book" in hand stating rule #13-6.7 states do not move firewood. He interpreted as any wood including sticks on the ground have to stay exactly where they lay on the ground. Then he went on to order me to replace each twig exactly where I found them. I mentioned to him that the park maintenance workers had just finished sawing up dead trees and branches in some of the sites and cut them into small pieces for the purpose of the campers to use in their campfires. He just kept pointing to the "rule book". Not to get anyone's dandruff flowing, I did as he instructed. Later in the day I had a little talk with the other camp host volunteer who said they have received many complaints about the new host and not to worry about it. they were going to have a talk with the new host.

Later in the day the Nazi camp host left, and left his dog chained up barking non-stop for 3 hours. I dared my wife saying I was going to walk over with the "rule book" and point to rule #8-1.5 Thou shall not leave a pet unattended on a campsite, especially if it barks non-stop for 3 hours. I didn't have the heart.

Chicken!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naples, Fl.
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Having stayed at State Parks of Ohio, PA and VT. have meet many camp hosts. Only one time back about 5 years ago there was a camp host at a Ohio park who acted like a camp Nazi. He saw me picking up sticks to start a campfire and approached me with the "rule book" in hand stating rule #13-6.7 states do not move firewood. He interpreted as any wood including sticks on the ground have to stay exactly where they lay on the ground. Then he went on to order me to replace each twig exactly where I found them. I mentioned to him that the park maintenance workers had just finished sawing up dead trees and branches in some of the sites and cut them into small pieces for the purpose of the campers to use in their campfires. He just kept pointing to the "rule book". Not to get anyone's dandruff flowing, I did as he instructed. Later in the day I had a little talk with the other camp host volunteer who said they have received many complaints about the new host and not to worry about it. they were going to have a talk with the new host.

Later in the day the Nazi camp host left, and left his dog chained up barking non-stop for 3 hours. I dared my wife saying I was going to walk over with the "rule book" and point to rule #8-1.5 Thou shall not leave a pet unattended on a campsite, especially if it barks non-stop for 3 hours. I didn't have the heart.
Have faith. Most of the time this type of host in not invited back, so next year when you visit, he will be long gone.
__________________
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 742
Good experiences with hosts at the state parks I have visited. Some more friendly than others, but all seem to be there to do the required volunteer hours and assigned duties with a helpful attitude for any questions. Never had a bad experience, but also have not really tried to seek them out for specific problems either.

I think it is a great way to spend some time as full timer.
__________________
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
We have stayed at this park many many times (Findley State Park NE. Ohio). Never saw that camp Host Nazi again. Since we camp 95% of the time at state parks I'll comment only on those types of CG's.

In Ohio I'll see (VIP's "Volunteers in the Parks" what Ohio calls them) emptying fire-rings, monitoring the restrooms for TP and trash, helping out during campground wide events. Since most of the maintenance workers in Ohio are union, that will limit what the hosts can do. You have to remember, the camp hosts are there to "host", provide info, relay ?'s and concerns to the park rangers, assist in helping keep campsites free of left over trash.
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
sknight's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 908
In 12 years I've had one bad encounter with a CG host. I'll tell the story if asked but don't want to turn this into a complaint thread. He made a horses tail of himself, I complained about it, he was told that was the final straw and he was no longer host which earned a very animated discussion between us.

I view hosts as the source of local information and 99% of the time they're more than accommodating. Usually issues are handled myself and I've never had to bother a host to handle a problem.
__________________
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
In 12 years I've had one bad encounter with a CG host. I'll tell the story if asked but don't want to turn this into a complaint thread. He made a horses tail of himself, I complained about it, he was told that was the final straw and he was no longer host which earned a very animated discussion between us.

I view hosts as the source of local information and 99% of the time they're more than accommodating. Usually issues are handled myself and I've never had to bother a host to handle a problem.

Don't leave us wondering! Tell us what happened!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
VSPA's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Humble/Atascocita, Texas
Posts: 1,228
To be honest, have parked in a few less than stellar RV Parks, but I really do not remember having a bad experience with a camp host, government, Mom & Pop or franchise park. The most pleasant experience we've had was at the KOA in San Angelo, TX. The owner was also the owner of a local BBQ about a half to three quarters of a mile up the road and his camp host gave new arrivals a (IIRC) buy one get one free dinner at his BBQ place. Some of the best BBQ I've eaten. On our last evening, he was having a BBQ/Boiled Crayfish party for the employees of his two businesses and proceeded to send his employees to every RV in the park with an invitation to join the party. Not into Crayfish, but he also had a ton of his homemade jalapeno venison sausage, boiled potatoes, and corn on the cob and drinks.
__________________
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: DAV, VFW, VVA, & VSPA
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
gacamp's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hardee Co. Florida
Posts: 334
Only issue I have ever had was two instances when trying to set up after just arriving the hosts stopped by to welcome us and ended up staying for 30 plus minutes telling us their campinig history, pets history, children trial and tribullations etc. etc. etc.. One gentleman even followed me around the MH talking the whole time while I continued my routine.

Other than that mostly the hosts have been nice or invisible and I also would not place a host in the position of confronting a serious rule breaker.
__________________
1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #40
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Campground hosts come in all shapes, sizes.....and attitudes.
Some are friendly and helpful...some are "power drunk dictators"..... and some, (IMO most), are ONLY there for the FREE campsite.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
sknight's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Don't leave us wondering! Tell us what happened!
Well, it was in a privately owned CG in Pigeon Forge, fairly nice and well kept place. Well marked with 7MPH speed limits, which was fine.

My ex had a Wrangler with a five speed, well, we were coming back from dinner one evening, idling in first gear and since her speedo didn't start until 10MPH I have no clue how fast we were going other than below 10.

This guy jumps out in front of us hand up leaving me just enough time to stop on the gravel. He proceeds to read me the absolute riot act about my excessive speed, since he's being so nice I ask to see the readout from the detection device. He doesn't have anything to detect speed but can "Tell" visually.

Let me mention, I was indirectly involved in police work at the time. You can't tell visually.

So I move along, thoroughly irritated.

Two evenings later, now I have my GPS on the dash and idling in first gear it's going back and forth between 7-8MPH. Guess what? Yep, he stops me again now with threats of putting me out of his CG. I showed him the GPS, offered to take him for a ride to show that indeed, I was loafing along at 7-8MPH.

Now he's going full drill sergeant on me, which took a considerable amount of restraint on my part. All this was just as the office was closing so I drop the jeep in reverse and head to catch the manager. It seems that this guy had a multitude of complaints against him for being overbearing including speeding. He was told that not only was he no longer host but he needed to leave in two days. How he was left there long enough to get to that point I don't know.

I'm all for keeping things pleasant, I'm all for keeping things safe. But how you handle people is as important as what you're handling.

In 12 years that's my one bad brush with a CG host. Otherwise everyone has been nice and helpful.
__________________
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Well, it was in a privately owned CG in Pigeon Forge, fairly nice and well kept place. Well marked with 7MPH speed limits, which was fine.

My ex had a Wrangler with a five speed, well, we were coming back from dinner one evening, idling in first gear and since her speedo didn't start until 10MPH I have no clue how fast we were going other than below 10.

This guy jumps out in front of us hand up leaving me just enough time to stop on the gravel. He proceeds to read me the absolute riot act about my excessive speed, since he's being so nice I ask to see the readout from the detection device. He doesn't have anything to detect speed but can "Tell" visually.

Let me mention, I was indirectly involved in police work at the time. You can't tell visually.

So I move along, thoroughly irritated.

Two evenings later, now I have my GPS on the dash and idling in first gear it's going back and forth between 7-8MPH. Guess what? Yep, he stops me again now with threats of putting me out of his CG. I showed him the GPS, offered to take him for a ride to show that indeed, I was loafing along at 7-8MPH.

Now he's going full drill sergeant on me, which took a considerable amount of restraint on my part. All this was just as the office was closing so I drop the jeep in reverse and head to catch the manager. It seems that this guy had a multitude of complaints against him for being overbearing including speeding. He was told that not only was he no longer host but he needed to leave in two days. How he was left there long enough to get to that point I don't know.

I'm all for keeping things pleasant, I'm all for keeping things safe. But how you handle people is as important as what you're handling.

In 12 years that's my one bad brush with a CG host. Otherwise everyone has been nice and helpful.
I guess we have to run into one like that to make us thankful for the good ones!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campground



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campground Report: Meadows Campground, Steamboat Spring, CO RussOnTheRoad Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 0 08-06-2014 06:07 PM
Bad campground Scott hadley Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 3 07-23-2014 01:24 PM
Campground vs. RV Resort trode Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 25 05-20-2014 11:52 PM
Pocono Raceway Campground StevieG Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 1 03-03-2014 09:01 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.