Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Perceptions of a Campground Host?

I am posting this question here, rather than on other forums, because this is a better forum to avoid caustic, snotty, or smart alec responses. In other words the class of members is better here.

We serve as campground hosts, and I believe we are friendly and helpful. Many campers stop by our site just to chat.

I know everyone will have a campground host horror story, and I am not looking for those.

I do wonder, as I make my rounds on a golf cart: What does the average camper think about hosts?

In general, what do you think of hosts? As rule enforcers? As information sources?

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #2

First let me say that you usually receive a response similar to the attitude you put out.
Every host at the National CGs (with the exception of the female at Potter's Creek in Texas) has been extremely friendly and helpful and always were gracious. Couldn't ask for better first contact to represent the CG. We make it a point to be pleasant and considerate of the people working at those sites, as the hours are long and sometimes the rules don't seem to make sense to the RVers.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Nope...don't think of them at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never talked to one. Never had one introduces themselves to us. Not really sure why campgrounds have them. We're pretty much self sufficient when camping.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Honestly, my thoughts are that I aspire to do that someday myself.

I view them as banks of information regarding the campground and surrounding area. I've yet to encounter one that isn't a "people person", and I can't imagine one being successful unless they had a pleasant personality.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A friendly face is always welcome! Unless it's a dog! Then it's better if they are seen and not heard!
Actually , I always consider them as just another camper, enjoying life as best they can within their own budget. Most are helpful with a smile and rarely have I seen one that was not enjoying the job he or she was doing.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the CG hosts that we have encountered have been very nice folks, and willing to help in any way they can.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think of them very often, but have been pleasantly surprised a couple of times when the CG Host stopped by and asked if everything was alright and made it fairly clear they wanted us to be happy with our stay and made us feel welcome.

I think in general they help insure the basic rules are followed and that is a good and necessary thing in our opinion. We have also encountered a host that obviously felt superior and didn't want to be bothered by the average camper, but that didn't affect our stay in the least.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've chatted with many CG-hosts & with the exception of about 1 or 2, all have been very friendly & insightful/helpful when I've inquired about the CG or activities in the area I'm visiting. I'll always wave when I see one out & about.

I guess I don't really consider them as rule enforcers, more like embassadors of the CG. I'm more likely to let them know about a restroom needing attending, overflowing trashcan or the dead raccoon piece on the walking trail. I hate to put another fellow camper in the uncomfortable position of dealing with an unruly/disresectful camper, so I tend to go straight to the office to speak with the owner or if in a state park, I'll hunt down a ranger.

Camphosts have a thankless job at times so: for the job you do.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those we have encountered have always been courteous and helpful to the best of my recollection. One of the best we've ever seen is Clay Moore at Port of Newport RV Park in Newport, OR. He is the model for all campground hosts.

He greeted us when we first arrived and just after exiting the registration office. He gave us his business card and said when we had time to set up at our site, he would like to stop by and give us some helpful information. He came by after we were set up and sat down with us and told us everything you'd ever want to know about things to see and do in the area and favorite places to eat. He knew the history of the area and he told us about things we would have never discovered during the week we were there. He checked on all the campers daily and always asked if we were enjoying our stay and if we needed anything. The guy was a gem.

As noted by others, I think of a host as more of an embassador than a rule enforcer.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #11

We have only had one host stop by our site at Otter Creek Park in Kenticky. She was very nice and told us if we needed anything just stop by their site. Other than that, we have never talked to a host. Figured they were busy doing other things and never really understood what they were there for or what their responsibilities were.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #12

Interesting answers because we volunteer in parks, also - not always hosting but doing interpretation, too, such as lighthouse tours.

We have always tried to make a presence if only a greeting of "Hi" and we would hope that folks walking by would not hesitate to say "Hi" also or even stop to chat or ask questions. That's a good part of host's duties.

As far as those saying they don't know why we're there or what we do - every campground is different and we have different duties.

We've checked in campers and assigned sites, pick up tons of trash, clean firepits of cans, bottles, garbage, diapers, walk trails to make sure no problems, walk beaches and talk to folks and tidy up bathrooms. The parks we've been usually have a regular maintenance person cleaning them, thank goodness.

We volunteer to do these things as our way to give something back to the public parks we enjoy. If there are no volunteers, things don't get done. All public parks have money problems and those menial duties are put at the bottom of the list.

We definitely don't volunteer to get a free campsite.

We were always advised by our 'employer' that we were not to enforce rules. We were to gently advise folks if we see something being done that is againtst a rule. 99% people comply with a gentle nudge. If they don't then we were told to contact management. They are the enforcers.

Everyone hates listed rules. We do, too. However, if you've ever been to campgrounds that let folks do what they want you would quickly notice a difference in your camping experience and if you're a person that abides by rules then you wouldn't feel comfortable in that campground. Rules are in place for a purpose.

Sorry that some of you have encountered arrogant hosts. I really think that happens when the same person comes back year after year. They begin to think the park is theirs. Not all, but many returnees feel this way. That's why we move on from park to park. We stay fresh at our 'job'. It's fun for us and we try to make it a good experience for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Interesting answers because we volunteer in parks, also - not always hosting but doing interpretation, too, such as lighthouse tours.

We have always tried to make a presence if only a greeting of "Hi" and we would hope that folks walking by would not hesitate to say "Hi" also or even stop to chat or ask questions. That's a good part of host's duties.

As far as those saying they don't know why we're there or what we do - every campground is different and we have different duties.

We've checked in campers and assigned sites, pick up tons of trash, clean firepits of cans, bottles, garbage, diapers, walk trails to make sure no problems, walk beaches and talk to folks and tidy up bathrooms. The parks we've been usually have a regular maintenance person cleaning them, thank goodness.

We volunteer to do these things as our way to give something back to the public parks we enjoy. If there are no volunteers, things don't get done. All public parks have money problems and those menial duties are put at the bottom of the list.

We definitely don't volunteer to get a free campsite.

We were always advised by our 'employer' that we were not to enforce rules. We were to gently advise folks if we see something being done that is againtst a rule. 99% people comply with a gentle nudge. If they don't then we were told to contact management. They are the enforcers.

Everyone hates listed rules. We do, too. However, if you've ever been to campgrounds that let folks do what they want you would quickly notice a difference in your camping experience and if you're a person that abides by rules then you wouldn't feel comfortable in that campground. Rules are in place for a purpose.

Sorry that some of you have encountered arrogant hosts. I really think that happens when the same person comes back year after year. They begin to think the park is theirs. Not all, but many returnees feel this way. That's why we move on from park to park. We stay fresh at our 'job'. It's fun for us and we try to make it a good experience for you.
Great post. Thanks.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

We have for 99% of the time always met really nice Campgound Hosts. I keep trying to get my wife to do this with me. I think it's great and would be alot of fun, and you get a full hookup spot in some Campgrounds that don't have hookups, so that is a nice perk. So I think well of them. I have always looked at the Host as someone to go to for information on the area, or issues with your spot as most of them will help you get another spot if they can, but most of all people who like to RV and the outdoors.

We like to stay in the places where the Rangers treat the CG Hosts like partners and share info with them. I don't think that you should have to place a CG Host in an emergency situation unless they have a direct contact with Rangers and their support. We unfortunately witnessed a domestic vilolence incident with a group of homeless people camping in an old MH. They were drinking all day and it ended with a stabbing. We called 911 and both the Rangers and City Police came and took 5 of them to jail and 2 to the hospital. The next day I was talking to the CG Host ( who was out to dinner at the time)and the Rangers never shared the incident with them. They were very upset to hear it from us, and not the Rangers.

The only place we didn't really care for the CG Host was at CG at a National Park. We were driving thru the campgound(in our car) looking for spots to stay in so we could make reservations for our next trip. It was a man and a lady, who left their small truck in the middle of the road, the man was sitting in the truck while the lady was openly yelling at some people camping there(she appeared to be collecting something from them). The man honked the horn for her to come and she yelled tell him to drive around. I couldn't so I just sat there, she got in the truck, they drove to another site (still blocking me) and she got out and started yelling at another group of campers. She then walked up to my car and asked if I was a registered camper, I told her no we were just driving thru to look for a spot for our next trip. She then told me to leave as "they were full and nobody drives thru her CG without paying". Keep in mind people drive thru this campground all the time as it is the only way to get to the dayuse parking for some major trailheads. Needless to say we didn't make reservations there.

Even though we experienced this I stiil think CG Hosts for the most part are great and just try to make sure everyone is enjoying themselves.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground