RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Permanent residents at the parks?

As we travel around we see most RV parks are about 3/4 full of people who permanently live in their RV. I assume they are called full time because they live in their RV. I had thought full time RV meant people who lived in their RV and traveled. Some of the parks are filled with people who have planted trees, built sheds, removed wheels, and stay on a permanent basis. Then we also found some areas that have a lot of RV's that actually look like mobile homes and are permanently installed. I think they are called Park models. One park we tried to get reservations at said they have 150 slots and only 10 are reserved for daily and weekly rentals.

If this trend continues, is it likely that all RV parks will fill up and there will be no parks for travelers? Don't get me wrong. I like state parks and such but some of the private/commercial parks are fun to stay at. We spend about 3 weeks out of each month traveling and staying at RV parks. We return to our brick and stick home, visit the grand kids, see our doctors, and go back on the road. I just hope we don't run out of places to stay.

chuck and katie

katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
If this trend continues, is it likely that all RV parks will fill up and there will be no parks for travelers?
chuck and katie
Chuck and Katie the short answer is YES!

Retiring baby boomers

tight/expensive housing

parks sold to be built upon

growing population

poverty

will all lead to full parks

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
As we travel around we see most RV parks are about 3/4 full of people who permanently live in their RV. I assume they are called full time because they live in their RV. I had thought full time RV meant people who lived in their RV and traveled. Some of the parks are filled with people who have planted trees, built sheds, removed wheels, and stay on a permanent basis. Then we also found some areas that have a lot of RV's that actually look like mobile homes and are permanently installed. I think they are called Park models. One park we tried to get reservations at said they have 150 slots and only 10 are reserved for daily and weekly rentals.

If this trend continues, is it likely that all RV parks will fill up and there will be no parks for travelers? Don't get me wrong. I like state parks and such but some of the private/commercial parks are fun to stay at. We spend about 3 weeks out of each month traveling and staying at RV parks. We return to our brick and stick home, visit the grand kids, see our doctors, and go back on the road. I just hope we don't run out of places to stay.

chuck and katie
This is a concern many of us share. Most private campgrounds have plenty of these full time residents living there. It is steady income for owners of property but at the same time it is simply taking up space for travelers and those of us that don't want to simply plop down in a place and stagnate. And a lot of these places that allow the potted plants, permanent porches and junk sitting around just do not make it attractive to those of us looking for a nice place to spend the night or two. I just try to go to higher end places that do not allow this kind of permanent living or out into the wilderness where they are not staying. This trend you are speaking of will continue as others have said, said but true.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

If I was retired living only on social security, I would consider it too. Itís certainly more affordable. We go often to a park in Indianapolis, Lake Haven. They have a lot of full time residents, but a lot of open daily spots.
They charge $275/ month + electric. All the full timers take great care of their space. They donít allow anything else.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

I believe you're talking of 'permanent residents', not full-timers who travel. Many permanent residents still work nearby. Many others live there because that's the housing they can afford. The 'Park Model' parks are mostly in the snowbirding areas where folks come down from the north and spend 6 months during the winter and then go back home. We always used public campgrounds because there's no look of permancy. Two weeks is the usual time limit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

chuck and katie
We have thought about this a lot and it does detract from the ability as well as the beauty of full time, or even part time for that matter, RVing.

In my mind these are just trailer parks with a slightly different "home' to live in. And may look so run down and ugly. We so try to avoid this but find it gets harder to do so all the time.

Maybe we need to start separating "trailer" parks from RV parks on review and web sites.

Just my thoughts and i am not against trailer/RV parks but just something I do not find appealing for traveling RVers.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
What you are seeing are more and more people who can't afford a house or even a rental apartment in different areas of the country - especially near large metro areas. After the crash in '08, more and more people were forced into living in RVs. Also a lot of people who fulltime (in the traditional sense) at some point don't want to move around anymore, they already have the RV, so it is easier for them to do monthly stays until they are ready for assisted living.

We own a Park Model in an RV park in Mesa, AZ where we spend the winter. It just made sense for us to have someplace to spread out for a few months, recharge our 'batteries' and then when the heat descends upon the "Valley of the Sun" we head northward towards cooler weather for the summer. A lot of the owners of these Park Models end up staying year round when they can no longer handle their RVs. So it is kind of transitional.

During our travels we utilize a lot of membership parks in order to keep costs down. Number of people living year round in them is substantially less than in other private parks, but even there we have seen an increase. Some of them work in the parks in order to pay their rent, some have kids, others don't. It is all a matter of finding housing that they can afford. I certainly don't look down on them and have some really interesting conversations with some of the younger workers who just can't afford housing in the area.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
. . . a lot of these places that allow the potted plants, permanent porches and junk sitting around just do not make it attractive to those of us looking for a nice place to spend the night or two.
My snobbery meter just went off.

I don't care for "junk sitting around" either, but what's the matter with potted plants and permanent porches?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #9

Thanks to all. I can see where permanent residences for people would be a cheaper way to live for some folks. A mobile home park in the city were we live advertised they were now also an RV park. We decided to go check it out and found they took one row of what had been mobile home spots, removed the trailers, and turned the slots into RV spots. Everyone was filled so we thought, hey why don't we give it a try and spend a weekend in it. Checked with management and was told all were filled in a few days with permanent residents and there was a waiting list!

As we spoke some more, they said before they had to buy trailers, maintain them, insure them, and hope people at least minimally tried to take care of them. They removed some older ones, put in electric poles and sewer access, and let the RV owners worry about the rest. They get their guaranteed monthly rent and no worries about maintaining the trailers.

I asked about short term renters and they said they have no interest in them.

I do see the need for such a place and can even see why maybe someday it would be of interest to us. BUT, in our humble opinion, this seems more like a mobile home par than an RV park. Kind of like the home models mentioned in one of the replies above, we went to a park in North Georgia mountains that was specifically set up with these and would allow a small number of RV's to come and stay short term. We knew in advance it was a living community and not an RV park.

We met some wonderful folks there who had retired from RV'ing and others that just wanted to settle down near older friends or just did not want to go back to brick and stick homes.

chuck and katie
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #10

Also remember some folks move only 1 or 2 times a year due to work. Some in construction some in medical and probably some in other fields.

There is incentive for some parks to have short term spots as that pulls in a lot more money per day than long term. However that only works for someplace that stays fairly full relative speaking. Some parks also have limits on how long one can stay due to local laws. Like where we winter in FL you must be gone for something like 90 consecutive days.

Tom
Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another current RV trend is the millennial generation's taste for RV purchase, and moving around the country. They can't afford S&B houses, so these are a alternative.

Higher end parks do limit the permanent type units. Here in SoCal the snowbirds pretty much fill those up by Thanksgiving. We recently left a park in the desert area near here, charging $78 per night +electricity usage for those over 30 day stays. That's over $2300 per month. Equal to a home mortgage!

Most plates were from colder climates and Canada.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
there are a lot of resort parks were
you buy and own the lot a lot of people
store there rv there also
Old 11-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #13

Recently stayed for one night at Eastlake RV resort, North of Houston. Probably 95% long-term residents. A first class facility with concrete roads and site pads, very nice landscape design, and no "yard junk" around the sites. They provide storage units on the property for that.

It proves that it can be done with proper management.

Book Your Stay at Eastlake RV Resort by Quality RV Resorts

This may be the future.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Recently stayed for one night at Eastlake RV resort, North of Houston. Probably 95% long-term residents. A first class facility with concrete roads and site pads, very nice landscape design, and no "yard junk" around the sites. They provide storage units on the property for that.

It proves that it can be done with proper management.

Book Your Stay at Eastlake RV Resort by Quality RV Resorts

This may be the future.
That does not look appealing to me at all and in no way represents "camping" if that is the future then i am so sad.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving