Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #15

Take them back for a refund. Hit the seller with any vet bills. Complain to the store manager.

That's the only way they will respond - when it hits them in the wallet.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #16

It won't help (or at least it won't completely solve the problem) to check the "made in" label. Remember, the food that caused so much trouble a couple of years ago was made in the U.S. and Canada...from ingredients made in China.

I think one big hole in our food safety is that there is no source required on most food.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #17

I just checked the sack of beef carry outs from wally world and sure enough they are made with chicken. it only says they are distributed by a company here in USA and nothing about china at all. BUT I did buy them at wally world so I would guess they came from china.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I lost some cats to that big China pet food poisoning back in 2006/7 - it's horrible that these foods are allowed in the US.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This is the food our two dogs get Dog Food: Natural, Holistic Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Treats
Quote:
All CANIDAEŽ and FELIDAEŽ products are proudly made in the United States of America using the highest quality U.S. ingredients.
They do make treats but we have not seen them in pet stores yet. I think we will be requesting them though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the warning. We normally use Science Diet Sensative Stomach and the freeze dried liver treats that were first provided as a sample from our Vet. Will have to stop by Petsmart to check labels on what we have as we repackage both food and treats into more air tight containers like Tupperware.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can easily make your own treats using beef or pork livers. Just use the microwave to dry the livers and then break into bit size pieces. The only drawback is it does smell when drying them in the microwave. I used this method for years having learned about it during my years of handling a police dog. You can also get large beef bones from your butcher, cook them well and then let the dogs have them. Just never give animals bones that tend to splinter such as chicken bones or small bome that they could swallow and choke on.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a small dog, a Maltese mix about 14# and we feed her Science Diet dry food and Cesars wet and have never had a problem. We also use Beneful wet. As best as I can determine both of these are made in the USA. We also found a chicken treat made by Purina that we have substituted for the jerky which we stopped using after the first scare. Can't remember the name but it is available at Petsmart and shaped like an ear and is soft. Our dog loves them.

Nick
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From a nutritionist perspective its better not to feed treats to dogs at all, they have hight amounts of sugar, MSG, artificial flavor etc and they rot their teeth. Better to have the dog on a good raw meat diet with the occasional bone. Its cheaper too...

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Watch out for Wal-Mart dog food. A year ago Dec. I was feeding our dog the Old Roy kibble & bits type, the Vet asked what were we feeding him, he said it was probually stale, $900.00 trip to the Vet, he had to stay over night, so no more it's back to Science Diet and Milk Bone treats.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2journey View Post
From a nutritionist perspective its better not to feed treats to dogs at all, they have hight amounts of sugar, MSG, artificial flavor etc and they rot their teeth. Better to have the dog on a good raw meat diet with the occasional bone. Its cheaper too...
It's very difficult to BALANCE the diet when raw meat is fed. I looked into this a few years back. Vitamin and mineral supplements must be added and in the correct amounts per lb of meat.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
PetSuperMarket carries the bad stuff. Also, the chicken disks are made in china. The U.S. distributor is PCI. I informed the employees in the store long ago but since it's not their store or their pets it sorta went in one ear and out the other. I even went onto their website and emailed them which apparantly changed nothing because they are still selling the bad chicken strips and disks.
Anyway, I changed my dog over to the BilJac Liver treats some time ago. He never got ill but better safe than sorry.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I make homemade dog food for Harry so I know exactly what he's eating... and he doesn't get any packaged "treats." He loves cheese, so occasionally I will give him a small piece of cheese as a treat. In the past our other dogs always loved rawhide chews, but I stopped buying ANY food product from China back when the last Chinese dog food scare hit.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #28
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I read the Waggin' Train package which claims to be made to US standards and... I don't trust them. But they did explain why so many come from China -- dark meat is prefered by Chinese people, leaving the breast meat for pets.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote