Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I make homemade dog food for Harry so I know exactly what he's eating... and he doesn't get any packaged "treats." He loves cheese, so occasionally I will give him a small piece of cheese as a treat. In the past our other dogs always loved rawhide chews, but I stopped buying ANY food product from China back when the last Chinese dog food scare hit.
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes | How To Make Your Own Dog Food | Raw Dog Food
Homemade Pet Food Article - Allrecipes.com
Homemade Dog Food: Cost, Recipe Advice, Nutrition, and Storage

That's just a few of the websites I found just by typing in some version of "Make Homemade Dog Food" into my search site (dogpile.com) not sure which sites you might come up with using the 100 or so other search sites out there.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #31

I have heard rumors about processed foods from China for pets. Seems they take chickens that may have been dead on chicken ranches (some dead for many hours or days) sell the bodies to the processors who eventually get around to cutting the carcasses up into those bite size treats, add their preservatives and the products end up here for our use. As to sterilization procedures, who knows what they did about that before sealing the packages. Anyone hear of this also?
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Did you get the PM I sent?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
It actually is capitalism at its best as when consumers are aware they will stop buying the products as I did months ago and these companies will change or fail. This is really a failure of govt which regulates these products giving us a false sense of security and then allowing bad products to get to market. Just don't buy from China which by the way is hardly a capitalist state.

Nick
I wasn't referring to China being a capitalist state. There are many middle-men involved between the plant in China and store you bought the tainted product from.

What of the large chains that carry these dangerous and sometimes deadly products? They don't seem to care either. There is no quality control anywhere in the system.

Our Gov couldn't care less about our pets. Look at our lax laws to protect them and lenient punishment for those sociopaths who torture, neglect and outright kill them.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I have heard rumors about processed foods from China for pets. Seems they take chickens that may have been dead on chicken ranches (some dead for many hours or days) sell the bodies to the processors who eventually get around to cutting the carcasses up into those bite size treats, add their preservatives and the products end up here for our use. As to sterilization procedures, who knows what they did about that before sealing the packages. Anyone hear of this also?
Are you aware of what goes into pet foods made right here in the USA? I was shocked to find out what "byproducts" are. It's slaughterhouse trash, diseased and dead carcasses of even zoo animals ground up together and cooked. I read that tests even showed ground euthanized cats and dogs from animal clinics and shelters were utilized. Where do you think the millions of euthanized animals go each year? Tests have shown traces of the drugs used to kill them. Pet food is very profitable since it utilizes otherwise worthless meat that should be incinerated or used for fertilizers. And dry kibble is the worst! Look at the ingredients! You really have to shop and read the bags to find ones not loaded with worthless corn and other grains our dogs and especially cats, do not need and can't utilize. They're nothing but cheap fillers. Why do you think so many of our cats and dogs these days are obese, diabetic, have failing kidneys and cancer?

I can't post links here as we're snow-birding in FL and have very little on this laptop we take with us. All my information on this subject is back home in TN.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2journey View Post
From a nutritionist perspective its better not to feed treats to dogs at all, they have hight amounts of sugar, MSG, artificial flavor etc and they rot their teeth. Better to have the dog on a good raw meat diet with the occasional bone. Its cheaper too...
I don't have a dog at this time. Just the three cats but can tell you that feeding the three dogs we did have a raw meat diet with supplements to make sure to balance their diet would have bankrupt us (OK slight exaggeration). Even if we bought the cheapest meat in the store - chicken. A raw meat diet for these little lap dogs so popular now may be alright, but when you have dogs like ours were, 2 of them over 85 lbs each, a raw meat diet is out of the question.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
I lost some cats to that big China pet food poisoning back in 2006/7 - it's horrible that these foods are allowed in the US.
An important point, here. The ingredient that caused the problem was melamine, and it was substituted because the melamine was not distinguishable from wheat gluten by any test the FDA then used. Ultimately, the heads of the two Chinese companies that made the additive, their companies, and the heads of several American companies were indicted for the fraud.

The point being that this was a deliberate fraud, and was against the law at the time it was perpetrated. So, on a purely factual basis, those tainted ingredients were not "allowed" in the country at that time.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #37

Lean treats at amazon,made in Maryland and I called manufacturer to check MADE IN USA.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Are you aware of what goes into pet foods made right here in the USA? I was shocked to find out what "byproducts" are. It's slaughterhouse trash, diseased and dead carcasses of even zoo animals ground up together and cooked. I read that tests even showed ground euthanized cats and dogs from animal clinics and shelters were utilized. Where do you think the millions of euthanized animals go each year?
RanCarr,
I find what you say hard to believe...please share with us your source. As a matter of fact, pet food which is regulated by the FDA, is manufactured to the same standards as people food. Now that may be of some comfort or it may scare the bee jives out of you.

Dano97470

Former FDA investigator
Dano97470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
PyrateSilly, Thanks for the links, I'll be checking them out.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #40

Everyone do yourselves,your children,your pets and your country a big favor.Do not buy anything made in CHINA.I know it`s very difficult but if you can`t find what your looking for made elsewhere then please do without.I`m quite sure your dog won`t miss chicken strips or Chinese made dog food.We`ve been needing a couple televisions and other provisions for a long time, but have done without because we can`t find the things we need made in America.The Chinese government is poisoning us on purpose and if you don`t believe THAT then you`ve got to believe they are purposely ruining our economy. Either way we are losing the battle.Keep that in Mind the next time your in Walmart,Home Depot or Lowe`s.Oh Ya and remember these things in November.
pmaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

But if they poison us, they'll never get back the trillions of dollars we owe them!! (Just kidding.)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #42

You mean you don't broil Chicken and mix veg's in it and feed it to you dogs? Holly Cow.

My pup's eat better than me.

If your pet is crappin a dry turd, They ain't eating right.

Google=== DR . FOX
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote