Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
I like 'em. And when I someday visit Arizona, I'll be that guy who actually DOES drive the posted limit of 55 mph.

I did 55mph, as posted, when I was in California. All the way from Sacramento back to Salem, OR on the I-5.

Heck, some of the time, I'm even 5 mph under the speed limit (50 vs 55).

More the merrier If ya don't want to worry about rear-end damage from a tailgater at a red light with a camera, drive an older pickup that has a big steel bumper. I call mine the can opener, it'll take the hood and part of the engine right off yer average compact car if it slams into it just like taking the lid off a sardine can.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Just do us all a favor, some of our highways are 65 so be careful and watch the posted speeds. We don't want you ran over. As posted earlier, there are a lot of drivers doing way more then the speed limit and thats the reason for all the added new cameras. I applaud the effort but once they know where they are they slow down and then speed up again.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #31

There are too many on the roads who seem to think operating a motor vehicle is a right, and not what it is, a privilege.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greenie:
Our interstate highway system was modelled after the autobans - limited access, great sight, easy turns. The interstates were designed for higher speeds - like 85 mph. So where are the speed traps set? The absolutely safest venue for high speed travel.
Interstate speed traps are there for revenue rather than safety reasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The interstates may have been modeled after the Autobahn but people here in the U.S. don't have a driving style like the drivers in Europe.

The people here are all over the road. Passing on the left and the right, some moving at the speed limit while others are out for a leisurely cruise.

Driving the German autobahn was a great experience for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
You guys who are pro photo radar, would you be ok with having to pay $180 if clocked going 57 in a 55 zone?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #34

The law is the law. So should you not be ticketed until you are 5 over, 10 over, 15 over, unless you are drunk and kill someone?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #35

I defended a large number of people as a lawyer for a legal insurance group here in AZ. Some answers.

Disclaimer- these comments are based on MY legal training in Arizona only.

1) Photo Radar citations have been challanged in court and upheld as legal.
2) When you are driving in public, you have NO right to privacy. That is rather selective doncha think? You are out IN PUBLIC!
3) Arizona does not require a front plate even though they provide one.
4) The camera takes a picture of the rear plate and driver.
5) A judge will match your face to the picture and it must match.*
6) The citation is sent to the name on the license registration. If your wife is ticketed in a car registered to YOU, all you have to do is appear in court (a PITA, admittedly) and since the picture won't match (I hope), it will be dismissed.
7) Degrading or hiding your license plate with fancy coated glass or films is illegal here and can get you a costlier ticket.
8) Every person has the right to try to get speeding laws changed. The limits are put in place with the approval of governing groups through their committees. Go thru the channels to change them.
9) Speed limits are put in place for safety. Spend a few days in a morgue seeing investigators piece together the body of a 16 year old girl so it can be presentable at a funeral.
10) Easiest answer to speeding tickets is - D'oh, don't speed. And don't gove me that 1984 BS. Based on the animal behavior on Long Island yesterday, our society needs reasonable regulation. Speed limits are reasonable.

* I defended a man who was cited for speeding in his car. He was, along with his dad, in real estate. He gave me his card and it had a picture of both of them. Absolute look-a-likes. Judge dismissed!
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You guys who are pro photo radar, would you be ok with having to pay $180 if clocked going 57 in a 55 zone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you show me a jurisdiction that does this? In AZ, LEO give you at least 5 MPH and mostly 10 because they cannot defend the radar machines accuracy any closer.

BTW, I argued an officer that claimed he could estimate speed to +/- 2MPH by eye. I challanged him and, by golly, he could in about 90%. But no judge would accept his estimate as proof.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
[quote]The law is the law. So should you not be ticketed until you are 5 over, 10 over, 15 over, unless you are drunk and kill someone?

To answer your question on speed 10 over sounds about right because to ensure that you would never go over 55 you would have to cruise at 50 ish. With a few mile buffer you can maintain a safe speed without getting a ticket if you accidently increase a couple of miles per hour. Not everything is by the book. Common sense has to put into the mix.

Drinking and driving can not be compared to going 2 miles over the posted speed limit of 55.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
HERE is an article from the Houston Chronicle that noted the reductions in accidents at intersections with the red light cameras. Seems most people can figure out that you can stop for a red light rather than get a ticket.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is what will be next
http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/...cars-speed-limi.html
Then the city, county, and state will have to find something new to remove their money from your account.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #40

I never drive over the posted speed limit---I have been cursed---given the three finger salute----horns blared---but guess what? I"m 76 been drivein for 60 years and NEVER gotten a ticket. I say break the law; pay the price. The law were made to protect law biding citizens; break them and pay.
thats my two cents worth
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #41

I would also like to add-----I have NEVER had; or been in an accident.
The motor home I just sold had 140,000 miles on it. the one before that had 160,000 miles on it, the one before that had 120,00 miles on it, the toad I pull has 270,000 miles on it.
I just bought a new (to me) motorhome with 36,00 miles on it.
Happy motoring you all
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow - how things have changed! Used to be any upstanding responsible citizen who chose to exceed the speed limit would simply, often embarrassed a little, pay the fine. Many would often then choose to slow down a bit, at least for a little while, maybe until the sting of the fine and the embarrassment wore off.

Now? I guess too many folks either are or at least think they're pretty special. Perhaps we should call in the counselors or Dr. Phil or Oprah to try to protect and mend damaged egos . . . or better yet, Jerry Springer!

Seems I . . . and the laws of this country . . . don't think people who choose to speed are special . . . they're just law-breakers.

Just my honest opinion - from a guy who has received and paid fines for more than my share of speeding tickets over the years (blushing a bit). I should know better - but I certainly don't feel so special that I feel the need to whine about it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote