Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
To clear up any confusion does anyone think that going 60 in a 55 zone is speeding?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Did you ever drive down the highway at the posted speed limit, say 70, for a long period of time....maybe the auto pilot is on... then there was this little hill that you went up...then you came down the other side and geez, all of a sudden you are going 71 or 72 MPH? Do you deserve a speeding ticket? I rest my case and I'm not even a lawyer! Just a retired cop who was allowed to use my good discresion in such situations.

This topic is getting a tad testy, I think.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Initially, and I believe still true, the cameras are set to get speeders if they are 11 mph over the limit. So I guess RedT almost made it. Most if not all camera locations are clearly marked. So if they get someone I guess they weren't paying attention to any signs or your speedo. No offense intended RedT.

Glenn
Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastieSCPO:
Did you ever drive down the highway at the posted speed limit, say 70, for a long period of time....maybe the auto pilot is on... then there was this little hill that you went up...then you came down the other side and geez, all of a sudden you are going 71 or 72 MPH? Do you deserve a speeding ticket? I rest my case and I'm not even a lawyer! Just a retired cop who was allowed to use my good discresion in such situations.

This topic is getting a tad testy, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the "Me Me Me" thing going on, Coastie. Along with the "My Vehicle is geared for higher speeds and is less efficient at the posted limit" bull. And countless other excuses that folks come up with for not wanting to follow the rules.

I've been past my fair share of these mobile units here in Oregon, Beavteron and Hillsboro use them ALOT.

My only thought is they shouldn't be required to give you advanced notice, its like having to require a cop sitting in their blind having to put signs out stating they're there checking for morons going over the limit.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #47

We discussed speeding in my Sunday School class awhile back. One lady summed it up best -- Jesus said "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" and if the speed limit is 55, she was going to drive 55. She did not feel special, she just wanted to obey the teachings of Christ.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its a money thing for the state or municipality, pure and simple.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
To clear up any confusion does anyone think that going 60 in a 55 zone is speeding? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The law thinks so and that's all that matters/ If you tell your child that stealing is wrong and he/she only takes a little.... is that still wrong? I am not trying to get on my soap box here, but today, people need to stop blaming everyone else and accept the consequences of their actions. The only person that I am mad at if I get a ticket is me. Not the "stupid cop". or the "stupid camera". We make a willful choice to speed 99% of the time and that's where the blame resides.
Just old fashioned values speaking.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #50

Addressing the GPS speed limiter and related GPS monitoring; OTR fleet trucks have GPS monitoring systems, which includes, speed, idling time, RPM's, time at driving speed, route deviations, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ray OTR fleets must subscribe for that kind of service and not all trucks are satellite monitored. What the article was talking about is a built in from the factory to limit speed via GPS. Onstar would be very easy to program this limiter into it's function.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">people need to stop blaming everyone else and accept the consequences of their actions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is really hitting close to home for a lot of people. Why should you be responsible for anything when you can blame someone else and often even sue them. I was raised to be responsible what I did and we instilled the same principles in our daughter.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The law thinks so and that's all that matters/ If you tell your child that stealing is wrong and he/she only takes a little.... is that still wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe speeding is not a cut and dry like stealing.

There is a level of leeway and discretion when it comes to speeding. The normal flow of traffic is always a few miles above the posted speed limit and quite often the driver who is going less then the speed limit is the most dangerous obstacle on the road as well as the driver who is going much faster then the flow.

There is not one person on this forum that does not drive faster then the posted speed limit.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, I think there is a lot of leeway in a lot of our laws. Still, if so chosen, they law can enforced to the letter and you wouldn't have a lot to say to that. Trust me, you reasoning about "everyone does it", won't hold up in court. Someone else on this thread stated that it used to be quite an embarrassment to be caught speeding. Now, it is de rigueur. I see that leeway in use a lot as I travel along Interstate 5. If the LEO wanted to write tickets, they would have the entire road to pick from. They are so understaffed that they just pick on the craziest of the bunch. Still doesn't make speeding legal.

As I stated before: If you get a ticket because you willfully chose to exceed the posted limit, you have no one except yourself to blame.

Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is doing 60 in 55 considered speeding? Yes
Should one get a ticket? Yes
Speeding is speeding even if its 4 over or three over. Now I would argue 1 to 3 over under
under the old speedometers that could be up to 3 miles over or under. But under the new digital systems there is little to no leeway. As for municipalities and such getting all this money from tickets, as the municipalities about that. In Utah we have a city that has been on 20/20 and 60 minutes cuz they write more tickets than anyone in the country. And they dont allow more than two or three over andhave been known to get you for 1 mile over. They get to keep only a set fee of like 10 dollars per ticket. All the rest goes to the State of Utah coffers for highways and such. I have heard of the same thing in Kansas and South Carolina. So what is the incentive for ticketing if you dont gain a whole lot of money. Because its the law. Face it and quit whining about it.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
My 2006 Ford is 3 miles out of whack.

I dont like speeders ( real speeders) I just dont agree with the zero tolerance which we all know is for the cash and not safety. And Photo radar leaves out the human level of discretion.