Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Joe speeding is not a cut and dry like stealing.

There is a level of leeway and discretion when it comes to speeding. The normal flow of traffic is always a few miles above the posted speed limit and quite often the driver who is going less then the speed limit is the most dangerous obstacle on the road as well as the driver who is going much faster then the flow.

There is not one person on this forum that does not drive faster then the posted speed limit.

Steve and Kathie
Black Lab and huge cat
2006 Georgetown 350
V10 Ford

I know one
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtManLee:
Is doing 60 in 55 considered speeding? Yes
Should one get a ticket? Yes
Speeding is speeding even if its 4 over or three over. Now I would argue 1 to 3 over under
under the old speedometers that could be up to 3 miles over or under. But under the new digital systems there is little to no leeway. As for municipalities and such getting all this money from tickets, as the municipalities about that. In Utah we have a city that has been on 20/20 and 60 minutes cuz they write more tickets than anyone in the country. And they dont allow more than two or three over andhave been known to get you for 1 mile over. They get to keep only a set fee of like 10 dollars per ticket. All the rest goes to the State of Utah coffers for highways and such. I have heard of the same thing in Kansas and South Carolina. So what is the incentive for ticketing if you dont gain a whole lot of money. Because its the law. Face it and quit whining about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true in California. Most municapalities with red light cameras are serviced by private companies, and except for the percentage that the servicing camera company gets, city keeps the remainder. I am not referring to state highways, or interstates, but city streets. Big gains in city revenue from Los Angeles all the way to Bakersfield and San Diego. Many write ups in newspapers about same.

Dieselclacker

Dieselclacker
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #59

It is sure easy to pick out those amongst us who speed as a matter of "right", and have been cited.

My youngest daughter got a ticket for going 58 in a 50 zone. The next day, the speed limit at that point went up to 55.

At the hearing I asked the officer if he would have stopped her the next day, he said, "No! The speed limit was only 3 MPH less and within acceptable variations.

I asked the judge (a man I had dealt with in court on a number of occasions) if he could consider the change. NO!

She went to traffic school.

I would state as fact that everyone on this forum has access to those making the speeding regs. Use your rights and quit complaining BooHoo!
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
58 in a 50 is a deserved ticket. Subtract the 5 mph on the change of the speed zone and 53 in a 50 is a...questionable ticket. I want to call it somethng else but will not on this forum. This is the exact reason why I challenge the photo radar tickets. Everything is cut and dry and do not permit anything else. By the way, I try not to exceed the speed limit at all times, but to err is human. Book me Dano! And pass the plate!
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #61

As a 23 year Air Force officer, his statement bothered me too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Stay between the lines. Be good little Hitler Youth. Nothing bad will happen to you. The government is here to help you. After 30 years in the US Coast Guard, and several years of retirement, I'm pretty sure that we will become as highly regulated in our society as Russia was under Stalin, maybe not as brutal, but even more closely watched. But we will be safe from all the bad people that want to hurt ys.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stanbnv; I find a bit of a contradiction in your post! 30 years in a US Military Organization and your statement is kinda contradictory IMO. Sounds like you really appreciate that retirement check you receive every month!

Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #62

Coastal Campers
We had and are now re-installing Photo Red Cameras in Northern Virginia.. across the river in Maryland they have Photo Speed Cameras..
In both jurisdictions the ticket is issued to the vehicle owner, like a parking ticket.. no points.. no driving record.. in Virginia the owner may swear that he was not driving the car and have the ticket voided.
Was a case in Montgomery County Maryland where a driver received a Photo Speed Ticket and just down the road he received a real speeding ticket. Judge voided the Photo Ticket and let the LEO ticket stand (photo was cheaper & no points, speeder asked that it be the reverse)
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #63

There's a new DMV law which takes effect January 1, 2009; your license plate frame or any other device must not obscure the word Arizona.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #64
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
They are currently stopping folks and warning them of the change. I am always being passed by cars with the plastic covers over their plate. The same guy who runs the red lite, so be careful out there. There are a lot of folks in way to much of a hurry.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #65

And beginning January 1, 2009; if you are a resident and own a OHV you must purchase a yearly sticker and affix it to your plate.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #66

i think its a good idea...

people drive out here realy fast, im from the east coast PA. but moved out here 25 yrs ago
ive never gotten a ticket...
and ive driven all day with my job...
i did get pulled over with a warning only..
that was the first time and last time i ever gotten pulled over... and from what i know its 7miles over the limit, if its 55, 62 is it then you will get a ticket, and not all of the streets are marked with a red line...

so take it easy...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #67

And on many stretches of freeway the have installed cameras every 3 to 4 miles!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #68

It's easy to say that those who are caught by the red light camera deserve what they get since they were breaking the law. However when we take human judgement out of the equation those who are trying to do the safe and correct thing get caught also. If some crazy driver is doing something that requires me to get out of his way by speeding up to avoid him (and not jam on my brakes causing more of a problem for myself and others) where a camera is stationed I get the ticket and the jerk drive gets nothings but to contiue to endanger other drives. I had this situation avoiding a drunk driver.

Another thing that comes to mind is that there has been some research and discussion of using the GPS function of your cell phone to track your speed and ticket you that ways also. So far it hasn't been put into place, but it surely could be. Once we give everything to electronic monitoring it potentially opens a pandoras box. What else are we willing to give up for more revenue to the local/state governments? Do you really think that there won't be more and more "creative" ways to get more of our money so we can pay off all that bailout money? Becareful what you are willing to give up!!
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #69

Something I should have added... In many places where photo radar has been installed the speed limit has also been dropped from the previous posted speed limit. On many of the roads here in the Phoenix area they are doing lots of freeway construction so the speed limits have been appropriatly dropped, however on some stretches of they have dropped the limit at the same time they installed the cameras. Now some may say that the drop in speed limit was justified because of new traffic studies. Maybe so but no announcements from ADOT to support that, they had added a carpool lane to increase the flow of traffice and it seems to me the only change was the addition of the cameras.

And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by abarkl:
There's a new DMV law which takes effect January 1, 2009; your license plate frame or any other device must not obscure the word Arizona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Texas has had this law for a few years now, but it is not well enforced. Texas also requires front tags, but it is seldom enforced.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote