Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 AM   #71
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's a new DMV law which takes effect January 1, 2009; your license plate frame or any other device must not obscure the word Arizona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a law in many/most states and ignored by many owners.

The license plate frame with dealer advertising that the new car dealer installs on your new car obscures too much of the plate in many cases.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #72

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> There is not one person on this forum that does not drive faster then the posted speed limit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct. As one whose last citation for speeding was over 30 years ago, I will admit that I exceed the speed limit far more than I should. I will also tell you that it is a conscious decision on my part to try not to be an moving obstacle and I often feel that I have no choice but to exceed the speed limit by as much as 10mph. One of my "favorite" locations to talk about is I-94, just North of Chicago. In years past, the flow of traffic was 70mph in the posted 55mph, with many doing over 80mph. On my last visit, I noticed that they've installed speed cameras there. IMHO, they are long overdue. The road surface condition and the amount of traffic on it does not support speeds commonly traveled.

In the Dallas area, I've noticed that many of those who are willing to exceed the speed limit by a considerable margin (10-15mph over) are also willing to do abrupt and un-signaled lane changes, to tailgate (and I mean less than 1/2 second following distance) and other unsafe practices. While we haven't heard much about it in the press, road rage is still a problem with approximately 10% of the drivers on the road.

To me, red light cameras, speed cameras and everything else that is being done to make driving in our congested areas safer is and should be all about behavior modification. Since we, as a group, cannot seem to stay within reasonable limits, picking out the excessive violators and modifying their behavior financially seems the only way to go.

I'm willing to bet a steak dinner that none of the speed cameras are set for less than 5mph over the posted limit.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #73

"58 in a 50 is a deserved ticket. Subtract the 5 mph on the change of the speed zone and 53 in a 50 is a...questionable ticket. I want to call it somethng else but will not on this forum. This is the exact reason why I challenge the photo radar tickets. Everything is cut and dry and do not permit anything else. By the way,"

I think everyone should challenge a speeding cite when they believe (NOT FEEL) it is unwarranted. You have the option however much a PITA it is. If you have a valid, not whining, argument to offer the judge, he will be likely to listen. He may not suspend, as in my daughter's case, but he will at least listen.

You can argue anything you want but DO NOT act nasty. Judges love to hammer an AH.

And Abarkl, what is an OHV? Off Highway Vehicle?

lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #74

"And Abarkl, what is an OHV? Off Highway Vehicle?"

Correct.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #75

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> There is not one person on this forum that does not drive faster then the posted speed limit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm... I can say that I do not drive faster than the limit. I have exactly ZERO speeding tickets, since I tend to drive at 5-10mph UNDER the speed limit (Average freeway speed limit of 65 mph). I plan to keep on driving that way too.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
You cant possibly claim that you have not gone 1 mile over a posted limit on a residential street perhaps? Come on lets all be honest.... nobody can possibly stay under the limit day in and day out....... everyone slips up occasionally....... zero tolerance would get us all.....
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
No, I am saying that I do not consciously speed like many here.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #78

I too make a concious effort not to speed. Can't recall how many 100+ mile trips I've taken & not passed a single vehicle. I have no sympathy for those who are nabbed & just wonder how fast one has to go here in the NY-NJ area. Seems as most, no matter the limit, are usually 10-15 miles above. I feel like the slowest car on a Nascar track.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the traielr intoww, we get in the tight hand lane and roll along there between 63 and 65 mph as a maximum. If the speed limit is lower, we slow it down to the limit.

The folks that are in a big hurry can use the left lane to pass us. But some are not happy with that and get aggitated when they have to pass.

I don't think that the speed camers are set for zero tolerance as speedometers are manufactured to a +/- tolerance. If the limit is 65 mph, they do need to allow for some inaccuracy in the speedometer; say 69 mph as a maximum. Beyond that..... you pays your money and takes your chances.

I am waiting for tailgater cameras. The number of people tha want to ride 6 feet off my dually bumper ar 50 or so mph is amazing. They can't see around the wide hips, they can not see over it and they can not see under it, so I guess they are going to just push me out of the way.

Last week I got a good "blessing" from a "lady" when I actually stopped for a red light. She almost rear-end my truck...backs up and comes up next to me and mouthed off and even gave me the Hawaiian Hi-sign. She was madder than an old wet hen at me because she was wrong.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #80

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am waiting for tailgater cameras. The number of people tha want to ride 6 feet off my dually bumper ar 50 or so mph is amazing. They can't see around the wide hips, they can not see over it and they can not see under it, so I guess they are going to just push me out of the way.

Last week I got a good "blessing" from a "lady" when I actually stopped for a red light. She almost rear-end my truck...backs up and comes up next to me and mouthed off and even gave me the Hawaiian Hi-sign. She was madder than an old wet hen at me because she was wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, talk about a money maker! I could solve all of the local municipality revenue problems with a tailgater camera. IMHO, it is the #1 moving violation here - more than speeding. My observation is that 3/4 of the traffic accidents in our immediate area are rear-end collisions. The second most common accident type is front end collisions from running red lights.

I've written several times about being able to move the MH/toad into the left lane (with no impact to any traffic in that lane) to allow tailgaters to pass on my right. On a typical several hundred mile trip, that may happen 3-4 times. I figure that if I can move almost 55 feet of total length into the left lane, they could have done the same thing but many won't. On the last trip, I had one tailgater follow me through a half dozen lane changes, maintaining less than a car length following distance the whole time. There was ample opportunity for her to pass me several times in that sequence.

The basic problem with folks like your example is that they have no clue that they ARE wrong. After all, isn't it your civic duty to stay out of their way???
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #81

A well known person once said. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!".
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's another ---

If you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk!

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
You might try...

I'm not speeding ....I'm qualifying
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #84

i went to pa to see my father about 8-9 months ago, and even there people are driving fast...
so it is all over, but phoenix is bad here...