Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #99

I hate the photo cameras.
They take away the ability to make an honest mistake.
Like 3 in the morning you are blinded by some idiot with his bright lights on. You concentrate on him because he is obviously either asleep or just an agressive @#$. While you are keeping him in sight you slip through a stop sign that was partially obscured by a branch anyhow. No other traffic in sight. Poof with the camera you get a ticket. An LEO watching this might cut you some slack and just give you a warning. Heck he may decide to go after the idiot who may be DUI and dangerous.
The only person that can drive without ever making a mistake is a robot.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #100

Glen41

You have every right to argue your points to the Judge/hearing officer. However, the people killed by red light runners cannot be heard.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In Texas, it's customary for slower vehicles to move to the shoulder to allow following vehicles to pass on 2 lane roads. Most of our roads have wide shoulders to allow this practice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's interesting the first time you encounter it.

The car that pulls onto the shoulder doesn't necessarily slow down but continues at their speed as you go by. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't it great!! I really think we have some of the best roads.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #102

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Didn't Texas make the practice of using the shoulder to allow passing illegal?
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #103

The download website for that camera traps file is: discoveryowners.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jocat54:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In Texas, it's customary for slower vehicles to move to the shoulder to allow following vehicles to pass on 2 lane roads. Most of our roads have wide shoulders to allow this practice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's interesting the first time you encounter it.

The car that pulls onto the shoulder doesn't necessarily slow down but continues at their speed as you go by. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't it great!! I really think we have some of the best roads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After many visits to TX, some for the winter months, I see the practicality of this; However- it against TX state driving laws. My cousin pulled onto that wide shoulder to allow a auto to pass, like nearly all Texans. Well, that passing auto made a right turn just after passing my cousin. The responding police officer ticketed my cousin for illegaly driving on the shoulder, and causing a collision. After that incident I never pull onto the shoulder unless I'm turning right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #104

Texas Boomers Club
From the current Texas Transportation Code:

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER.

(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:

(1) to stop, stand, or park;

(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;

(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;

(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;

(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;

(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or

(7) to avoid a collision.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #105

Thanks Rusty, it's too late to help my cousin but useful for me. The (a) sub-paragraph is what must have caught him "necessary" being the operative word.

To all- that link in my previous post is not what I thought I was linking, useful but doesn't have a camera or radar link.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #106

Here is the place for: speed/camera downloads. Sorry for this additional post, I exceeded the 15min edit limit.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even though it is considered a courtesy to move over on the shoulder and let faster traffic pass in Texas, I generally will not do it, unless I am really running slow. I have gotten too many flats from debris on the shoulder. If the shoulder is clean, I will try to move over.

Sorry about your cousin and the accident, there are a lot of LEO's out there that do not fully understand the law. It is also possible that the LEO was working or knew the fellow that caused the wreck and was being a little crooked to help him out. It has been known to happen.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #108

Some nit wit rear ended my toad because I stoped at a stop sign (of course he told the cop it was my fault. (because I stopped) takes all kinds.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #109

Robert, sounds like that guy was from Mexico, they make rolling stops there.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last week I came close to being rear ended in my truck because I stopped for a red light...and the fool set down on the horn at me for stopping...imagine the concept for stopping for a red light and not trying to run it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Robert, sounds like that guy was from Mexico, they make rolling stops there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here in Florida we call those "California" stops.

Ken, how inconsiderate of you. Making that obviously a VIP have to slow down or stop for something as silly as a little ole red light.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:36 AM   #112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ken, how inconsiderate of you. Making that obviously a VIP have to slow down or stop for something as silly as a little ole red light </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you know that in Florida three cars can go through the light after it changes red. (must be the law I see it all the time.)
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote