Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #99
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately dogs love cat poop. The reason is that cat foot is extremely high in protein and cats cannot digest it all so it comes out in the cat poop. Dogs love protein and will pick it up and eat it in a heart beat. On the fortunate side my Husky is trained to drop anything in her mouth on command. The only stipulation with cat poop is I have to see her sniffing it and then tell her "Drop." She'll leave it alone then. If I'm not in time - well no doggie kisses, please.

On the lighter side, when she was a pup we were walking through a city park and I noticed she had something in her mouth. I reached in and pulled it out and yep, it was cat poop. The water fountain (not drinking) was not helpful at all. I had to walk all the way home with my right arm stretched out to the side to get as far away from the smell as possible. It was not a pleasant experience. That next day began the training to "drop."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #100

Whats wrong with a dog eating cat poop? Our black lab would routinely eat deer poop when we took him on walks and he lived a good long life. Their digestive system is made to handle that kind of food source.

I am amused when humans try to impose their standards on animals that their species have survived millions of years before we tried to humanize them.
As far as kisses, dogs/cats lick their anal area often as a grooming exercise. You haven't had any effects so far, correct?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #101

I don't care about wildlife on a picnic table. Domestic cats are not wildlife. They are a pet with an irresponsible owner.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One issue with the poop is we see the kids sent out to walk the dog. They do not have bags and have never been told to pick it up. I offer them a bag.

The same for grown ups, I offer a bag.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #103
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Whats wrong with a dog eating cat poop? Our black lab would routinely eat deer poop when we took him on walks and he lived a good long life. Their digestive system is made to handle that kind of food source.

I am amused when humans try to impose their standards on animals that their species have survived millions of years before we tried to humanize them.
As far as kisses, dogs/cats lick their anal area often as a grooming exercise. You haven't had any effects so far, correct?
Are you kidding me! Cat poop is just as dangerous to humans as dog poop is. It can contain diseases. Our dog doesn't lick people but she'll give you a dog nose bump (mouth closed, tongue in). Cat poop stinks far more than dog poop. They make cat poop coffee but I'm not interested in drinking it either.

Yes, they can digest just about anything, but does that make it right. People need to pick up after their cat just as people have to pick up after their dogs. That is the point of this thread, right?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #104

While dog bites account for more ER visits, cat bites and scratches account for most hospitalizations due to animals. My mom spent a couple weeks in ICU from her own cats. Both their teeth and their claws are porous. When they scratch their feces or bite a dead animals they deposit bacteria in the voids of their claws and teeth. While their fur might be pretty their teeth and claws carry a lot of bad juju.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #105

Unpicked up poop

You know it’s just common sense and politeness to clean up after your dog - DON’T you do it at home?
BUT, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PARKS THAT CHARGE YOU $5 a day just because you have a dog. I must keep him on a leash at all times, I feed him, clean up after him, and I walk him. He is not destroying anything in the park, I can’t take him into the lodge or the pool. So why are we being charged?
I think maybe this is why people won’t clean up after their dog - I’m paying daily so let the staff clean it up! ITS NOT RIGHT, BUT???
18Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Precept View Post
You know it’s just common sense and politeness to clean up after your dog - DON’T you do it at home?
BUT, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PARKS THAT CHARGE YOU $5 a day just because you have a dog. I must keep him on a leash at all times, I feed him, clean up after him, and I walk him. He is not destroying anything in the park, I can’t take him into the lodge or the pool. So why are we being charged?
I think maybe this is why people won’t clean up after their dog - I’m paying daily so let the staff clean it up! ITS NOT RIGHT, BUT???
Unfortunately, you're paying for those that don't do all that you do. Obviously, there has been so much abuse on this subject in the past that caused parks to make this charge. Please don't stop doing the right thing!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #107

Nice!
This old thread is alive again! Betcha' we can go another 100 posts.

Quote:
I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PARKS THAT CHARGE YOU $5 a day just because you have a dog.

He is not destroying anything in the park, I can’t take him into the lodge or the pool. So why are we being charged?

1.) Good point 18Precept, but there is one big factor here: An animal is not a human being. So, there are limitations.
A man or woman with a child can take it into any restaurant or diner, any campgrounds, any store, even 55 and over communities. The entire world around us was built for humans, not the convenience of other people's pets.

2.) Animals in public places is a bit like smoking or chewing tobacco in public places. You're sharing your own habit (or needs/desires) with the other citizens around you (whether they like it or not).

3.) I have no statistics to go on but in the general sense I totally agree that the people who don't take proper care of their animals ruin it for the persons that DO take care of their pets.

And finally...
If the campground I'm staying at permits dogs, then it's your 'right' to enjoy your pets, and it's my 'duty' to be a polite neighbor and deal with it.

I have no problem with that at all!
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #108

Still about the dogs😁

ElectroJake, good response but I’m not anti-dog, as long as the owner keeps them restricted, in fact my wife and I miss ours and are currently in search of that “perfect” one. What I’m against is, 1. yes, those that don’t take care theirs, and 2. the parks that charge $5 a day per pet, just so they can get more money out of us. Now, yes we have seen a “few” park with excellent dog areas and even there they don’t justify the extra pet fees.
18Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #109

Quote:
ElectroJake, good response but I’m not anti-dog, as long as the owner keeps them restricted, in fact my wife and I miss ours and are currently in search of that “perfect” one.
What I’m against is,
1. yes, those that don’t take care theirs, and
2. the parks that charge $5 a day per pet, just so they can get more money out of us.

Now, yes we have seen a “few” park with excellent dog areas and even there they don’t justify the extra pet fees.
I have seldom experienced any dog problems at full service campgrounds... But wow! State park/forest campgrounds are out of control! Dog crap absolutely everywhere.

1.) I understand the wonderful bond between human & dog.
I dont travel with animals but I can see why many people do, especially if you're a full-timer. No problem. I get it.

2.) I also understand that the "dog" is not the problem... The human master is.

3.) What I dont understand is why dog owners blame us non-dog people for the banning of dogs?

Campers that travel with dogs need to understand this:
It is NOT us dogless RVer's that are getting dogs banned from campgrounds... It's people that camp with dogs (and dont do it properly) that are getting dogs banned from campgrounds.

Yeah I'm venting but my point is this...
Next time you get charged a fee, or worse, banned from a campground because of the simple fact that you have a dog with you remember to blame it on your fellow dog owners, NOT persons that do not camp with dogs, and if I had a problem with a dog I'd talk to the dog owner long before I'd take the cowardly approach and just complain to campground management.

18Precept, I like your approach and fully agree...
Pay the 'dog-fee' but in an act of defiance bring your dog to the lodge with you. Sit him on a chair and feed him a bowl of ice cream.
Heck, I'd pay good money just to watch the snowflakes and whiners get appalled and go berserk.
Happy camping, take good care of the pooch, and watch out for the cranky ones at the lodge!
-Jake-

Old 08-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post

Are we getting political? That pic looks familiar...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Are we getting political? That pic looks familiar...
Now that you mentioned it...
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Once it leaves my camping spot and is deposited in your camping spot, it becomes your ownership. Possession is 9/10 of the law.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote