Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
credit card info

I never give people authority to withdraw money directly from my accounts, nor do I give credit card numbers over the phone....When they ask, my answer usually is " you give me your credit card number, and I'll give you mine " and I usually get a chuckle or questionable answer...Then I explain, " you have much of my personal info. ( usually they do ) and now you want my credit card number...but you won't even give me yours.. What's wrong with this picture " I always figure whoever I'm giving that info to can give it to their pals after work and who know's what can be done with it....Mailing lists are sold under the table all the time from employees...why not credit card info...I picture in my mind of someone with a pencil and writing down my cc number, then copying my ss #, address, etc. from the company computer ....slipping the little piece of paper in their pocket, etc...your identity is them compromised....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
certainly not much of a security risk.
If their system is compromised (as a lot are) then everything in your account can be cleaned out and FJ/Pilot says they're not responsible.
Think back to all the millions of numbers that are stolen each year from some retailers!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I just recd my card with a 1000.00 limit.That is is you DONT give your bank routing etc. My 1000. limit is because I did not give that information If you do give that information and allow them to take the money out each month then the limit is increased to 2000.00. Check this out and if Im wrong I apologize but dont think so.... Don
Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also just recieved my card after recieving a bill for zero amount. The card is useless with the prices that Pilot/Flying J are charging for fuel . By Fueling at the independents, I can get the cash price and use my credit card that gives me 5% off on fuel.
Looks like a big tado for nothing.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.sharks View Post
I just recd my card with a 1000.00 limit.That is is you DONT give your bank routing etc. My 1000. limit is because I did not give that information If you do give that information and allow them to take the money out each month then the limit is increased to 2000.00. Check this out and if Im wrong I apologize but dont think so.... Don
That is almost correct BUT the only way to pay to $1,000 limit is by direct pay out of your checking account. They don't even list an address to send a check to. Going to the website to pay only allows direct pay from your checking account.
If you give them the info when signing up it's $2,500 limit as I remember.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #20

For Flying J I'd suggest you use your FJ card to get the cash price and the 3 cents diesel discount. Then use PenFed Credit card and get 5% back on your fuel purchase (5 percent a gallon not 5 cents a gallon) . You have to join PenFed credit union - minimum of $10 to get the visa platinum rewards but sure seems worth it to me.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If their system is compromised (as a lot are) then everything in your account can be cleaned out and FJ/Pilot says they're not responsible.
Think back to all the millions of numbers that are stolen each year from some retailers!
Falls under gross negligence and they are liable for that. They don't have a choice... you cannot sign away gross negligence.

Besides, even where numbers have been stolen, where hasn't it been made good?

If you pay anything with a check or debit card you run the same risks.

Check routing numbers are less interesting because the money has to flow into another account; unlike a credit card where you can fill up your tank with gas (and the tanks of a dozen friends), order stuff to be delivered to a house you just keep an eye on during the day, etc.

Besides, if you are that security conscious, you shouldn't have much money ever sitting in your checking account. Just transfer it in as needed

Steve
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with the Mobil/Exxon card with a 15 cents per gallon rebate. In the last 2 days on my way north from FL I carried it into 3 different stations in FL, GA and OH, they each held it while I ran the pump to over $200. I walked back into the stations, signed the slips and was on my way with just one receipt at each station. Swipe it at the pump and the limit is usually $80 twice, then you are looking for another card to complete a fillup.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Got one as part of our Good Sam membership as we thought it would be nice not to have to carry cash.

It was only $1,000 credit and had to be paid monthly. OK
Got the bill and the only way to pay it was through their website. OK
Had to look up my ID and PW to get in, that's when I found out the ONLY way to pay is via direct pay from your checking account!!

So if that routing and account number are ever stolen you have no recourse to recover the money taken from your account.

I'll be cutting up the card and sending it back tomorrow.

We get the 8 a gallon diesel discount but that only brings it down to what most of the stations around are charging.
Sound like you just saved me a headache.
Thank you

Debrey
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Besides, if you are that security conscious, you shouldn't have much money ever sitting in your checking account. Just transfer it in as needed

Steve
We only keep about $10,000 - $12,000 in that account, if we need more we transfer it over from the main account.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I need fuel. My last FJ purchase was $10. I pulled in to the RV lane swipped my CC and then the FJ card (could not read the display) pushed the call button (no answer) pump would not start. DW went inside, asked me how much did I want, I said $10, meant 10 gallons. Went up the road $0.14 a gallon cheaper. Maybe my last FJ visit!
When I cant swipe at the pump it costs me 5% @$4.00+/gal that is $0.20 times 80+ gal is real money $16.00 per fill or about 4 gals. I use Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder or Gas Prices - MSN Autos the night before to search for tomorrows fuel.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If at all possible, we avoid all big truck stops.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Falls under gross negligence and they are liable for that. They don't have a choice... you cannot sign away gross negligence.

Besides, even where numbers have been stolen, where hasn't it been made good?

If you pay anything with a check or debit card you run the same risks.

Check routing numbers are less interesting because the money has to flow into another account; unlike a credit card where you can fill up your tank with gas (and the tanks of a dozen friends), order stuff to be delivered to a house you just keep an eye on during the day, etc.

Of course, on all points. I have the Pilot/FJ card and find it useful because sometimes these stores are convenient (especially with a big rig) and while they may not always be the cheapest in the area the discount brings the price down to around that level. My limit is $2500, more than I or most people could ever spend in a month on fuel, and the concerns about having your bank routing and account numbers are silly... everyone you have ever written a check to also has these numbers.

Yes, the payment system is new and a little clunky but jeez... if all of this is a big concern to people I don't know how you even get by in today's' world...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Interestingly enough, the Flying J at Exit 173 off of I-84 in Twin Falls, ID has the cheapest gasoline and diesel fuel in the area. Regular gas is at $3.69 and diesel is at $4.19 while everyone else is at $3.75 and $4.29 respectively. I know this is out of the norm but that's been the price since we arrived here 1.5 weeks ago.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote