Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pilot/FJ card

Got one as part of our Good Sam membership as we thought it would be nice not to have to carry cash.

It was only $1,000 credit and had to be paid monthly. OK
Got the bill and the only way to pay it was through their website. OK
Had to look up my ID and PW to get in, that's when I found out the ONLY way to pay is via direct pay from your checking account!!

So if that routing and account number are ever stolen you have no recourse to recover the money taken from your account.

I'll be cutting up the card and sending it back tomorrow.

We get the 8¢ a gallon diesel discount but that only brings it down to what most of the stations around are charging.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another excellent reason to read the small print...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of my golf friends got that card. He said he had to give the bank account info when he applied. He gave them phony bank info and got the card. Now he is tring to figure out how to pay it. Doesn't sound right.
There are better cards out there. I have one that has 5% (not 5 cents a galleon) discount on fuel every other quarter and 1% on everything all the time and no annual fee. This quarter it is 5% on food. I don't like cards that ty me to a store or brand. And I will not have any card or account that REQUIRES automatic draft from my bank account. My $.02.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Got one as part of our Good Sam membership as we thought it would be nice not to have to carry cash.

It was only $1,000 credit and had to be paid monthly. OK
Got the bill and the only way to pay it was through their website. OK
Had to look up my ID and PW to get in, that's when I found out the ONLY way to pay is via direct pay from your checking account!!

So if that routing and account number are ever stolen you have no recourse to recover the money taken from your account.

I'll be cutting up the card and sending it back tomorrow.

We get the 8¢ a gallon diesel discount but that only brings it down to what most of the stations around are charging.
My experience was the same and the payment method was disappointing. I did not like sharing this information in order to pay them. All said, you stand the risk of getting your bank routing information stolen every time you write a check.

The website is clumsy as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #5

I cancelled it too. Got their other discount card to use when convenient. $1000 credit limit is ridiculous with fuel prices and MPG.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Haven't used mine yet and now I guess I won't be after reading the above posts.

I prefer the bill bay feature that my credit union uses. I tell them who to pay and they send a check.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a couple different loyalty cards (FJ/Pilot & Road Ranger) that give me a $.02 off per gallon. I then use my Discover card. At $4 a gallon I get a total of $.06 off per gallon. The only drawback is when the tank is empty, many/most gas outlets have a cap of $75 to $100 per transaction at the pump. According to what I have read, the debit cards used at their facilities won't cap you.

Now, if I could have gotten FJ or RR to bill my discover card! OH YEA!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Haven't used my Pilot/FJ charge card yet so I can't say from first hand experience on the caps.

When I use my FJ Frequent Fueler card in conjunction with my credit union debit card or my AMEX, I have never been limited. I've pumped $400.00 plus many times with a single swipe.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Haven't used my Pilot/FJ charge card yet so I can't say from first hand experience on the caps.

When I use my FJ Frequent Fueler card in conjunction with my credit union debit card or my AMEX, I have never been limited. I've pumped $400.00 plus many times with a single swipe.
Where I got capped was not in connection with the rewards card. Individual gas outlets are the ones that establish pump limits for the most part. Discover, as an example, doesn't do that. I would think that the big truck oriented outlets are less likely to do that even in the gas lanes.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I decided not to follow through on the application when I read their conditions document. Among other things, it said they'd not be responsible for any identity theft, even if it was their error that released the information.

If they don't have to pay any consequences for their negligence, what is their incentive to safeguard my personal information?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I decided not to follow through on the application when I read their conditions document. Among other things, it said they'd not be responsible for any identity theft, even if it was their error that released the information.

If they don't have to pay any consequences for their negligence, what is their incentive to safeguard my personal information?
I felt the same way when I read all the fine print. I continue to use their Frequent Fueler Advantage card which offers an additional $.03 per gallon discount off their cash price even when using a credit card. I found their prices to be competitive or better at several locations on our last trip.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Having to pay by routing/account number is annoying just because I never know it (I write almost no actual checks in a year; I pay online with a check or use my debit card, so I have to hunt down my checkbook. That said, it's no big deal and certainly not much of a security risk.

Steve
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got a bill via email with a zero balance, but don't have the card yet. Well, sounds like I should cancel it anyway.....
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

In reality it really is not a big risk. I would have just felt better had they allowed electronic payments vs. pulling the money from my account. Maybe with enough pressure from us, they will add that feature.