Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
Lynsay,
There are some FJ stations that do not have an rv island and if they do, it is hard to get a 40 footer with a towable in and out of due to smaller traffic. In those cases, I go to the truck pumps. At one such station, the commercial islands were more costly that the auto pumps. When I ask why I was charged the extra road tax, I was told that is what I have to pay at the truck pumps. In the past, by using my "rv card", that extra tax was removed and I received the cash price plus the discount. It did not happen this year at the Ehrenberg,AZ station.

So, if we go to a commercial truck pump and it has extra road tax on it, do we have to pay that tax?

Thanks and welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, Thread drift of major purportions.

To answer the original question: IF they did not have the problems with the Frequent Fuler Loyality program cards straightened out.. YOU WOULD KNOW IT!!!! As there would be at least 2 new threads here every week.

1B: I saw a "HI" message from a representive of Flying-J/Pilot Look for it.

2: Courtesy of others at the pumps.. Someone said the general public is the worst.....

Like the kid who started his mother's car and pulled up to the pump when he saw I was waiting for that island to clear so I could get gas.

HE proceeded to wash the windshield. Never even touched the gas pump.

I tanked up when his mother finished her shopping inside the Convience store part of the station.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #73

Lynsay, (of PFJ...)
Is PFJ doing anything to try to win back the customers they lost in the combining of the two companies?

After being a FJ customer for a couple of decades (never did care for Pilot) I quit buying at FJ also because of the poor customer relations there too. Like another board member, I find the stations dirty, the employees rude and uncaring, but what get's my goat the most is the fact you can't trust them to post the correct fuel costs. I see one price posted and am charged as much as $.20 more per gallon.
I was also told once that I couldn't buy LP there because it was the weekend and they were 'too busy' to sell LP on the weekends.

After giving FJ about a year to get the merger problems straightened out, I came to the realization that instead of gaining a larger 'family of stations', what really happened is the FJ's were drug down to the poor service that Pilot stations were giving.

Rant over...
michigancamper.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
Lynsay, (of PFJ...)
Is PFJ doing anything to try to win back the customers they lost in the combining of the two companies?

After being a FJ customer for a couple of decades (never did care for Pilot) I quit buying at FJ also because of the poor customer relations there too. Like another board member, I find the stations dirty, the employees rude and uncaring, but what get's my goat the most is the fact you can't trust them to post the correct fuel costs. I see one price posted and am charged as much as $.20 more per gallon.
I was also told once that I couldn't buy LP there because it was the weekend and they were 'too busy' to sell LP on the weekends.

After giving FJ about a year to get the merger problems straightened out, I came to the realization that instead of gaining a larger 'family of stations', what really happened is the FJ's were drug down to the poor service that Pilot stations were giving.

Rant over...
michigancamper.

Ditto!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
We liked the Flying J's because they have gasoline RV lanes so we do not have to get in the way of the cars. Also propane was on the islands and can get that filled as well. These were in Florida they were great. Will use them again.

Alan & Terry
Is this something new? Only in Florida now?

This is something I would love to see at a gas stop provided the general populace in their cars don't take them over.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Is this something new? Only in Florida now?

This is something I would love to see at a gas stop provided the general populace in their cars don't take them over.
The RV lanes have 'always' been available at FJ. With our gasser I'd stop for that reason (both diesel and gas are sold on the RV islands), when there was a FJ on our route, at convenient locations. That was not all that frequent, to be honest. Our new rig is too big to use many, if not most, of the RV lanes so I am anxious to see this get all worked out. There seem to be a lot more Pilot stations. I won't pay 10 - 20 cents more per gallon though, to save 3.

Your concern about cars blocking the RV lanes is legitamate. As infrequently as we used the old FJ I saw this time and time again, with no apparent attempt by station employees to keep them clear. I had one experience where a small Ford Ranger pickup was using the RV island gas pumps when there was probably 15 available pumps in the auto islands. On another occasion I pulled up behind some %&^$ blocking the RV island with his work truck (pickup), leaning on it while having a long cell phone conversation. Once he finally hung up the phone he got in the truck and drove off. I must have sat there at least 10 minutes. That said, I'll run into the same lack of consideration at our local small town station. There's only one in town and, of course, it includes a convenience store. As the community is quite remote, it seems some do a major portion of their grocery shopping (there's also a significant hardware section) after having filled up the car, but without moving it from blocking the pumps.

Oblivious people will continue to frustrate the rest of us, no matter where you are.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #77

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
Lynsay, (of PFJ...)

After being a FJ customer for a couple of decades (never did care for Pilot) I quit buying at FJ also because of the poor customer relations there too. Like another board member, I find the stations dirty, the employees rude and uncaring, but what get's my goat the most is the fact you can't trust them to post the correct fuel costs. I see one price posted and am charged as much as $.20 more per
If by posted, you mean on the big sign.. And you are charged a different price at the pump, report them to the state regulatory agency. If you re not sure which agency report to the state attorney general with a request to forward.. NOTE: This applies to ALL gas stations... Myself, I've never seen that at a Flying-J.. but then I do not often shop Flying-J due to geographic considerations (Not much point in driving 200 miles just to shop one store cause you might save a penny on gas.. that's 200 miles each way or roughly one full tank of gas)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Just tried to use the RV card at the truck lanes at the J in Gretna NE. Pump would not start. After going inside the manager said after you buy 500 gallons the pump start will be activated. I thought all this was resolved! We travel a lot but 500 gallons is a hefty goal!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #79

Chuck if you swiped the RV Card and your CC the pump would not have stated. If you only swiped the RV Card the pump should have started. The manager is wrong about the 500 gallons that has been waved. Beginning sometime this suummer you will be able to swipe your RV card and your CC at the truck pumps and will not have to go inside to pay. This is according to one of Lynsay's posts.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe we can keep things as easy as possible for Lynsay. How about posting questions to her at the thread she started? Go to http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hi-im...g-j-89955.html for the thread.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Eagle 85
If you go to the web site you will see pump start is NOT activated, nor will it be until you purchase 500 gallons. www.frequentfueleradvantage.com/

GaryKB
You are correct, I will addd to her thread which I thought I was. However she is saying one thing, and the store manager who has control of the pumps is saying another. All I know is as of 9 AM today, same old hassle. I also did NOT get the cash price.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Our Time,
If you have a RV Real Value card or the RV Frequent fueler card there is no 500 gallon purchase minimum before pump start is activated. Once registered with a cashier, pump start is activated immediately.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #83

Thanks for listening to the RV Concerns

Thanks for being on the internet to listen to our concerns. I always thought that Flying J was THE place to buy my rv fuel. Several items:

1. Some of the Pilot facilities are DIRTY and DUMPS. Ft. Myers, Florida is a classic example.

2. My pick up holds 38 gallon. I usually stop when I need about 30 gallon. The pump stops at $75.00==a total pain. I swipe and restart. No discount on the remaining purchase. You really need to work with ALL BANKS to raise the fuel limit to $150 to $200 dollars.

3. My truck uses DEF. PLEASE install the bulk pumps at all major Pilot and Flying J locations. Beaverdam, Ohio needs these pumps NOW!!!!! Ocala, Florida worked great. Give discount to DEF when buying in 2.5 gallon containers. You are MUCH higher than O'Reiley Auto Parks.

4. Your fuel price is (SOMETIMES) higher than the area market by 15 cents. Walmart (Murphy) is more competitive, but sometimes hard to enter with 5th wheel in tow.

Thanks for listening to our concerns. Some Valid, and others-------
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #84

So far there are six pages of mostly problems. Not worth a few cents to put up with the hassle, thus I do not use any of the big truck stops.