Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
It is easier to not turn it off at all. But not safe.
Would you bring to flame TO the fumes?

The one with the flame will also be the one with the liability.....and guilty memories.
Evaluating, but thankfully:
I am diesel where; Gasoline flash point -45F, Diesel Fuel flash point 125F
I do not leave the nozzle where; Petroleum Equipment Institute (1992-2010) alone has 87 fires from people who left their nozzle and retouched it, and another 52 where they did not retouch, that were attributed to static discharge.
I have compression ignition so; no chance of a premature detonation igniting fumes.
I have responded to car fires that occurred in vehicles that were not moving or running; actually traded the wife's previous car that smoked from the seering wheel and had connectivity issues in the drivers door (while still under warranty, before lemonizing ).
thunder storms, errant drivers, starters, battery connections........

But knowing it will stay cold for a good amount of time.... that may convert us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The manual for our Dometic fridge says this...

Temporary gas lockout:
The gas operation will automatically be locked out for a period
of 15 minutes when the engine is switched off. This will prevent
gas operation e.g. when stopping at a refueling station.

We travel with the water heater switched off.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #17
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Since we have a diesel and the pumps are usually away from the gas pumps I never bother. In fact even when pumping at some regular stations where the gas is dispensed from the same island I never bother.
x2. this is what I have done, works well
Old 10-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
The manual for our Dometic fridge says this...

Temporary gas lockout:
The gas operation will automatically be locked out for a period
of 15 minutes when the engine is switched off. This will prevent
gas operation e.g. when stopping at a refueling station.

We travel with the water heater switched off.
DITTO: My manual says this also, and I tested it. The propane to the fridge is shutdown for about 15min after the ignition is turned off. So there is not an open flame from my RV when I refuel.

My current RV also has the fridge on the opposite side of the coach from where I fill the tank, so the risk would be low even if the fridge was on propane at the time, but I know it is not if I get gas within 15min.

Two years ago a lowlife idiot pulled up in the next lane to me to put gas in her car. She had a cigarette dangling from her mouth. Kids in the car, windows open and one passenger in the car sucking on a cigarette also. Just before she removed the nozzel from the holder. I asked her if she would please put the cigarette out before refuelling or not refuel until after I left. I was pumping gas at the time. She threw her cigarette on the ground and gave me a nasty look and started refueling. I stopped and pulled away from the pump. We both were fortunate no fuel was spilled there.

We had to go in to pay so I reported her actions to the station attendant and passed her lic plate number to the police. Never heard any feedback but there are really some dumb people in this world.

Most everytime I have refueled my propane tank the attendant confirms that the tank is shut off. Even though the switch is right next to the refill point and can be seen in the off position. I always shut it off before I am asked.

I don't think safety should be compromised. If the environment is 100% diesel well. It is tough to even ignite diesel but gasoline has a much lower ignition temp than propane (about one half as I recall) and so very much below diesel. Gasoline is dangerous.

Please do not have an open flame around me when I am refueling with gasoline. It can spill and the fumes travel with it and can ignite.

Do modern RV appliances still have Pilot lights? This is what the subject of the thread is about.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We kill the water heater when we break camp, refer is DW's job to kill and restart before pump area and after leaving pump area. She has forgot to restart a couple of times, gives me something to gripe about, that is important when you are a senior.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #20

Pilot lights.....
2013 Voltage.....
Stove oven only, everything else is started by a spark.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #21

My MH is a 1990 HR, the frig and water heater both have DSI. It was pretty cutting edge for it's time, but that was 23 years ago, I can't imagine 99% on the road since then aren't the same with a a switch for propane, electric, and off. It was simple to walk back and flip a switch on the frig to shut it off while waiting to fuel, pull away from the pumps and turn it back on.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We turn the pilot off when fueling.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I'm somewhat nave, have only had this one MH. I can turn off WH at the range hood, refer at the control panel, all propane by turning off the "sniffer". Restart all without leaving the cabin. Are not all MH's that way???
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Nice. Are you talking full fridge or partial (we only weekend it), do you know how much it goes up? Would ice cream stay in the freezer?

Thanks
When we start to break camp everything gets turned off. Propane or electric, it all goes off. Propane tank is shut off. If everything is not put away yet to get underway then what is left gets put away. Cabinets and doors and whatnot is double checked to be closed. Coach is started. After a few mins the air is up to where it needs to be, the volts are steady. The inverter is then turned on and the fridge gets put on electric. The alternator, at least for us, turns enough to keep batteries charged for us to have the fridge and things like the phones plugged in to keep them going. Very few times have we needed or wanted the AC going so we just don't bother with the genny while moving on the road but there has been a couple of times we have had that on, but that is linked to the diesel tank. No propane whatsoever is on again until we stop for the night and if we hook up at a CG instead of boondocking for the the night we may not even turn on the propane at all until we get ready to use the stove top.

That is what we do, others may do other ways. I am sure they do but this is what we do.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #25

Ah.
Does not help me as no inverter in mine.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #26

With the modern vapor-sucking gas pump nozzles, vapors from the actual fill process are nowhere near as bad as they used to be. My main concern is some dumb-ass spilling gasoline on the floor by trying to over fill or by dropping the nozzle. Walking back to the fridge isn't a big deal. DW usually does it while I go back to the pump, than I stop doen the street from the gas station and go turn it back on. Even if we go a couple of hours without remembering, the fridge stays cold - after all, it's full of cold and frozen food and pretty well insulated.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #27

We turn it off completely at the tank before filling up. Turn it back on after we leave. It only takes a few seconds and it could save a life or some very costly damages.

jprt
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
There is not enough gasoline vapors even if all the pumps are being used for the fridge flame to ignite the vapors in any gas station or fuel island even in high temps. or even high humidity.......if the fuel islands were "enclosed" one might have a problem. Someone smoking at a fuel island(as we all have seen) if a far greater risk of causing a explosion.

Tags
gas, lights