Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pioneer Village Minden Nebr.

A little known treasure that is easy to miss, we spent 1 1/2 days trying to see everything, and we had to rush through some to see most of the exhibits. If you look at their website, it does not come close to showing all there is to see. My wife had seen it years before, and I was glad she wanted to stop and see it. When we were leaving my wife noticed a large American flag, when we read about it we felt privelaged to stand before it. It was built by American Prisoners of war in a Japanese P.O.W. camp. We were both so moved we forgot to get a picture of it. It is located in a small town 12 miles south of interstate 80, and has a rv park.

cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a great place to visit, if you are passing through Nebraska on I80 make sure you take the short detour to Minden and take this museum in. It is billed as the largest private museum in the US and I think it lives up to it's billing. We have been there twice and there is just no way to take it all in in a day.

2007 Allegro 34WA
Unified Tow Brake, Ultra Trac Rear Track Bar,PI/EMS-HW50C
2006 Saturn Vue
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Pioneer Village, Minden, Nebraska.

you are rite. What a great little place.2 days would be desireable. Most museums seem to be geared to the guys, but this on has many sections of interest to the gals. Do not worry about getting there late in the day and not wanting to waste the cost of admission, the ticket is good for as long as you want to stay. I am not one to patronize a gift store or buy books, but this is an exception. You must get the book called "A history of mans progress" and another, "500 fastenating facts" These books were both put together by the founder of the museum, Harold Wrap.There is so much more history in them, these are things that happened, not just exhibit items. I have been there twice and looking forward to the third. best wishes, old trucker.
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Been there...
One interesting display is the row of Conestoga wagons. These were made by Studebaker before they made cars. It's neat to walk along the wagon display, then continue to a display of Studebaker cars.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
It has been far too long since DW and I visited them. They are definitely on our list for this summer's trip out west. Both of us grew up in Lincoln, NE, so we've heard about it all of our lives.
David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well worth a visit. They have their own small campground on site. I think with campground registration, we got one free admission at the time we were there.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Been there but it has been several years. Just added to our schedule for this summers trip thru. I do remember how much we did enjoy. Looking forward to a repeat performance.... Don
s.j.sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
After you visit Pioneer Village, check out the new Classic Car Collection at Kearney, NE. It is located on east Highway 30 in the east side of Cabelas. Admission is $8, $7 for seniors. Also you can visit the Arch over the interstate and close by is the Firemans museum. The Lincoln Highway tour and Celebration will take place in June of 2013. The tours, from each coast, will meet in Kearney on about June 29th for a five day celebration. For more information go to: visitkearney.org/2013lincolnhighwaycelebration

stanleysteam is offline   Reply With Quote