Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Places to buy 100lb Propane Cylinders

Hey all, just wondering if any of you know of any good resources for buy larger, stationary propane tanks, 60# and above. So far, I've only found one place that has them in stock, which is the Lowes in E. Vancouver, WA for $129.

Trying to decide on what size tank to get, weighing between the 30# tank ($50 locally) or going up to one of the big boys (100lb at Lowes in Vancover for $129). This tank will be used for my camper when not camping, the current refill the cylinder every 5 days process is getting old (My 20lb horizontals w/OPD will only hold 3.6 gallons each of propane and yes they've been purged and repurged to make certain it was done right and purchased from separate stores on separate dates in separate cities, didn't matter, they just bloody won't hold more than 3.6 gallons).
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

We bought our 100lb tank from Lowes (for long term set-up). Other than that, we run 20lb (BBQ) tanks simply because we find it easier to "swap" if need be.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most any propane dealer will have tanks in all sizes available, but Lowes is probably cheaper.

Ask the propane suppliers who deliver in your area. Most propane suppliers rent or lease tanks too. Sometimes the tank is free if you contract with them for propane delivery. If nobody delivers to your campground, I'd go with 30# or even 40# tanks. Much easier to move around than a 100#. A 30# tank delivers 7.0-7.3 gals of propane, double what you have now. Get a pair so you have a couple weeks to get a refill when one runs out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My local Tractor Supply Company store sells propane tanks in 20, 30, 40, 60, and 100 lb sizes.

Online the price for the 100lb is 124.00, the 40lb is $ 89.99. Not a whole lot of difference in price between a large and small tank, but you're paying for the valving.

A 40lb or 60lb tank might be a good compromise as far as holding more than the 20lb size, but still being portable.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
As a 100# tank is going to be difficult, at best, to handle when full, think about setting up a plan with a local LP dealer as Gary mentioned.

I spent the winter in eastern PA and a local LP company provided me with a 420# tank and delivered propane on a scheduled basis. One company wanted a $ 100 setup fee, the company I went with set it up for free. If it got to 30% full then I would call them, but they always came in before it got to that. I don't use much propane during the summer, so I stick with my 2 30#'ers.

But you could probably get a 100# tank, set it up and see about getting an LP company to come in and fill it as needed. They may require you to pre-buy a certain amount of gallons of LP.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
After chatting with the filling lady over at our local U-Haul, apparently Coastal farm supply has them as well, and I will go and check them out for price. I plan to get myself one of those inexpensive hand trucks from harbor freight and strap it to the tank so I can just roll it around when it needs refilling. If I was feeling more creative, I'd fab a set of brackets to add a handle and wheels directly to the tank itself.

Picked up the new pigtail yesterday along with an inexpensive power cord hatch from the RV parts shop, going to shorten the back of the power cord hatch assembly a bit and remove the teeth used to retain the power cord normally. This way I can unwind the longer hose from the internal tank and slip it out through the power cord hatch to connect the external bottle, allowing me to keep my propane compartment door shut tight and rain free.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #7

Better watch how your state allows the tanks to be transported. For years, we transported full 100LB tanks laying down (in the truck or in the car). Had one filled in Franklin NC and they refused to let me put it in the car because it would have to lay down. Had to call a cousin to carry it home for me. Of course at another Lp fill station, they had no problem with how I transported it. Asked at "home" in TN and they said no problem. Laying a tank on it's side did not mess up the valving or anything. But was told some states will not allow you to do so.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I figured I'd just haul it standing vertically (like one would transport a water heater or new refrigerator) with a couple of ratcheting straps going from the front bed tie downs around the tank and guard both at the top and bottom to keep it from shifting.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #9

The thinking is that a tank on its side can roll and break the valve off. HD had them for about 85$ at one time. Our dealers (propane) wont fill the 100# or less at your site because they have no guage and require to be weighted when filling. Have to transport them standing in NM to get off the dealers lot. When out-of-sight, you can do as you want. Have to transport in the open - not in a car or trunk for the 100 or smaller so you almost need a truck or open trailer to haul them tied down so they cannot shift. Call your dealers for the current laws in your area b4 going this route or you may be wasting your $$'s (unless you have good friends to assist).

Ben Stair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #10

"The thinking is that a tank on its side can roll and break the valve off." That's dumb since all my 100 lb tanks have a valve protector on the like the 20lb BBQ tanks.

"Our dealers (propane) wont fill the 100# or less at your site because they have no guage and require to be weighted when filling."
I've never had my 100lb tank weighed in FL, GA, NC, SC or TN. Bummer since we are moving to NM the end of this month.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #11

Yea, I know the valve reason is "dumb" but that is the way it is. I know that you can fill the tank till the vapors come out but agn, that is the way it is (most are afraid of losing their lisc due to inspectors). The "other" thing is that a std BBQ tank filled at the gas supplier needs to tied down b4 leaving but if you buy it at the gas station, tank exchange, etc you can throw it in the front seat and nothing will be said. Sew, ck the area your going to and GUD LUK!!! Welcome to NM and the land of weather changes (wait 15 mins and it will change agn). Quick Question: the State questions is? Ans at end....

When you get settled in the area, check with the local gas suppliers (I would do in person), some may "modify" things, but I just gave the "standard" reasons. Im in Abq, so that may be a BIG differrence. I also have a 120# stationary tank connected to both RVs and the inspector had to come out b4 we could fill the tank and check for leaks. Had to be 8' from the rigs with a max hose length of 25' (rubber hose in pvc for protection). I had a place in CO that did not care and even filled the tank on its side in a sub-cold winter day. Did not charge for the gas, since it could not be measured. but it was enuff to get thru the worst of the storm.

So, all I can say is "Good Luck" and hope you find a supplier that can look at things differently.

Ans to state ques: red or green?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #12

We are heading to a town about 50 miles south of Albuquerque. We have decided to leave the big 100lb tank here and just haul the 20Lb tanks (I think I have 4). We just bought a 40 ft school bus and have to fit our stuff (lots of woodworking tools), my daughter's stuff (the one who we are moving out there) and what's left of my other daughter's stuff (the one who is out there already). I think we still need to toss more stuff. We plan on being there only for the summer & head to Texas coast for the winter.... no more snow, no more ice, no more being so cold I can't feel my feet!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #13

Lots of the "smaller" towns where you are going may relax the rules a little but the way NM inspectors show up it is hard to say. Enjoy the trip/stay/weather and gud luk to u & u'rs.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, here in Oregon, No One weighs tanks, all propane is done by the gallon. A 100lb tank would normally hold 25 gallons, roughly, if filled to the very top.

I wound up buying a 2 year old 100lb tank from a fellow NATCOA member for $75 last night and filled it up with 22.8 gallons of propane. Transported it all 70 or so miles vertically in the bed of the truck. The front tie down eyes for the camper work nicely for securing the tank to the truck with a couple ratcheting cargo straps. Tank didn't budge the whole drive.

The camper's now hooked up, though, I'm going to go and pickup a large concrete paver to put under the tank this evening because of the dirt/gravel mix that makes up the RV pad.

With two men we were able to fairly easily wrangle the tank in and out of the truck bed full. When empty, I can hoist the tank in on my own.