Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Places to fill fresh water tanks in CO?

Cliff notes;
150 gallons of fresh water, driving from Mpls. MN to Pikes Peak CO (for hill climb race), greater Denver area under TIGHT water usage, don't want to drive that far with full water tanks.

Places to fill my tanks in Denver area???

Thank you, Skrugs
Skrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you're coming from MN to colo springs why go through Denver at all? You can come south through Nebraska across Kansas and straight to colo springs. The tourist info center on I-70 near the Colorado border has fresh water hose you could fill up there or most any of the campgrounds in the springs.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
If you're coming from MN to colo springs why go through Denver at all? You can come south through Nebraska across Kansas and straight to colo springs. The tourist info center on I-70 near the Colorado border has fresh water hose you could fill up there or most any of the campgrounds in the springs.

I very much agree! No need to go through Denver running Minneapolis to Colorado Springs. I've made that very trip all too many times. I really prefer jumping off of I76 at Brush, CO and running CO-71 south to Limon, then Us 24 on into the Springs. CO-71 is a very good two lane highway with far better surfacing than that rough I-76. All a heck of a lot more peaceful than dealing with the stupid traffic around Denver and I-25.

As for the water... Last time I was there, I'm pretty certain the Flying J in Limon, CO has water and hose at the RV fuel pumps..... Maybe just a spigot, and you'll need your one hose.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Almost every building in the United States has a water spigot on the side of it somewhere. I carry a wrench (Amazon.com: 4-WAY FAUCET WRENCH: Home Improvement) that has four legs with the various sizes of square drives to open faucets on Churches, schools, office buildings etc. I even got water from a fire department one night. Lowe's carries this wrench too. If that's not to your liking, just stop at any house and offer them $5 to let you fill your tanks. Most people won't even take your money.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Almost every building in the United States has a water spigot on the side of it somewhere. I carry a wrench (Amazon.com: 4-WAY FAUCET WRENCH: Home Improvement) that has four legs with the various sizes of square drives to open faucets on Churches, schools, office buildings etc. I even got water from a fire department one night. Lowe's carries this wrench too. If that's not to your liking, just stop at any house and offer them $5 to let you fill your tanks. Most people won't even take your money.
So, in other words, you steal their water ...

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
So, in other words, you steal their water ...

Kathryn
Kathryn ,

That was my impression he steals there water. While he is correct that almost every business has a spigot i don't think it would be a good idea to use it without there permission !
fsteve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

With all do respect, how I get to Pikes Peak is not your concern.
However, I'm picking up friends who live there. If I use there water,
they might get a hefty fine. They are under VERY TIGHT water restrictions.

Thank you for the water tips. I will call truck stops in the Denver area
and check how they are handling the water restrictions.

I'm not stealing water! Bad karma there.

Thank you,
Skrugs
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #8

If you are coming in I-80 to I-25, there's a KOA in Cheyenne, WY (which is like 3.5 hours from Pikes Peak) right off the freeway, very easy in/out... worst case, you could pay one night for a minimal space and then fill up (and also take the opportunity to dump your tanks one last time).

Steve
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

I live in Denver. We have no restictions. Not sure where you are talking about, maybe a suburb? Can't imagine any problems filling up at a private residence... welcome to fill here.
S2kskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrugs
With all do respect, how I get to Pikes Peak is not your concern.
However, I'm picking up friends who live there. If I use there water,
they might get a hefty fine. They are under VERY TIGHT water restrictions.

Thank you for the water tips. I will call truck stops in the Denver area
and check how they are handling the water restrictions.

I'm not stealing water! Bad karma there.

Thank you,
Skrugs
I don't believe any of us was concerned with how you get there, we were simply letting you know of a shorter route without dealing with Denver traffic in your rig. Drive it how and where you like, but next time make sure you tell us you want no help, tips or ideas other than your need for water.
Safe travels
Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #11

It really astounds me when people read into posts things that are not there! Using a hose bib with the permission of the owner is stealing? Those words between the lines are too small for my old eyes I guess.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #12

Interesting. The Original Poster gets all in a huff over people suggesting ways to bypass Denver as one way to solve his problem. Another post at least reads like he gets his water without permission, whether this be the case or not is unknown. Yet another is critical of other for reading between the lines. Think I will just out of this one!
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #13

My friends live in Kittredge CO.
Maybe only burbs.

Problem has been solved.
Thanks for your WATER input.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrugs
My friends live in Kittredge CO.
Maybe only burbs.

Problem has been solved.
Thanks for your WATER input.
I grew up in Idledale - 4 miles south on 74 from Kittredge. Mom still lives there. Most of the mountain towns do have water restrictions in the summer if the winter snow fall didn't fill up the reservoirs. We used to have to haul water from the creek some years!

Tags
water