Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club

I picked one sentence out of your post. "My wife wants to keep the house". I would keep it at least for a year until she is sold or not sold on full timing.

Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You've gotten some great input hosedragger. As you can see everyone has a little different take on things - there is certainly no universally right or wrong answer.

If I had the perfect home in the perfect spot with the perfect mortgage (none), I would probably keep it for that year. Of course, if it were so perfect, I might not be thinking about leaving it. Otherwise; I'd sell it if I could. The full-timing experience changes you - it has me and the other full-timers that I've talked to about it. The house that you once thought was "good" might not be when you are done. In any case, it usually comes down to the best financial decision.

JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
We purchased our MH last year and the plan is to live very frugally and have it paid for when hubby retires in 4 years. We will do a 6 month trial run and then sell the house and bank the $$ for our exit plan. None of our children settled here in north eastern KY so we have no idea where our next permanent place will be.

I suggest you check out RVDreams. We are leaving for a rally today. The seminars are for people planning to go full time. Enjoy the planning stages! We had fun making a calendar of what we needed to do and when so it would be less overwhelming and more enjoyable. If life takes an unexpected turn, we will have enjoyed the anticipation

Roger & Sally Summerfield + bischons Bailey & Lily
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369
2013 Honda CRV
Roger & Sally + Bailey & Lily ( bichon/poo & bichon)
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 + 2013 Honda CRV
Ashland, KY
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
Here is my life lesson; when I was 10 years old my father was Lt.in FDNY.at age 52.he took me all the time to look at motorhome s.First heart attack put him on a desk,last one killed him at 54. Life is short,make the most of it!!!!!! Ken
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
I would not sell your home until you go out and do it for a few months at a time. Buy a good late model used one . There are many great deals . Look on line. Don't sell the farm and then find out that you wish you had a home to go back too. Listen to your wife. Try it first !
You probably have many family and friends where you live.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
Thor Owners Club
At the end of the day "Happy wife Happy Life"
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
Originally Posted by HoseDragger View Post
However I want to keep working on it until I retire and sell our home and have a high end motor home, a vehicle all paid off and around 750k sitting in the bank for safety net.
Have you RVd before?

I would consider keeping the house for 1 year until you know you want to full time.

Also, consider a 5th wheel instead of a motor home. In that way you may have 1 million sitting in the bank.
Ram 2500 6.4L, Creekside 23RKS, Smyrna, Ga
Previously - Casita 17' w/Dodge Dakota 3.9L
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Build a garage that you can park the MH in on a peace of property. Have full hookup while parked inside and sell the house. A house owns you, you do not own the house.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #23
There's been a number of really good comments on this post. And there's no really good answer--damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Why don't you go into Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community and post the same subject with just a little more details on your anticipated retirement income--i.e. pensions, etc.

While retiring to a motor home looks great, you're located in Alaska--a different kind of state. Would you spend your time in the Lower 48? I wouldn't want to RV all year round up there--too cold much of the time.

But my biggest question is how much money do you need to have in the bank to live that lifestyle, cover future healthcare deductibles/co-pays and support a very expensive, depreciating, high maintenance motorhome? Remember that your share of future medical expenses may well exceed $250K per retiree--after age 65 on Medicare.

A 4% withdrawal or $30K on $750K is about the maximum amount you can do without outliving your money. And with zero interest rates and a very volatile stock market, investment income cannot be counted on in the near future. Most retirees really need to hold off retiring unless they have $1 million in retirement accounts--unless they have very large pension income. But to support a travel lifestyle, who knows how much money would be required?
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
Every response has been a good one. I retired at 56 nearly 3 years ago. We kept our house and travel 4-6 months a year. DW wanted a place to come back too. She loves traveling, spending winters in Florida, southern Georgia, but is not ready to full time. In fact, she will probably never be ready to full time. But, that's ok as we still spend a good time of the year on the road wandering and enjoying this marvelous country.
Good luck on your decision and I hope you both enjoy yourselves exploring our great country.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #25
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have an annuity that we can draw 5% out of and never touch the principle. Started taking the first draw last year. I'm 68 and she 67, I'm in good health but she has inoperable liver cancer, all they can do is treat the tumors as the pop up and hope for a liver transplant.
Get out there and enjoy life while you can!!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
If you are in good health, you might both easily live another 40 years after retirement. That's asking a lot of your savings. If your pension and earnings on your savings can support you now, can they also buy you a home if you need it someday, pay bills if you have a major medical issue, and provide for elder care if needed? Only you can answer this, but a financial professional is a good idea. A lot of young retirees have a continued income stream from things like rents, business profit sharing, part-time or consulting work, in addition to their savings and pension. That makes the long range questions loom less large. Put the numbers together, so you know your options and don't need to lose any sleep. Best wishes and enjoy the planning and dreaming together!
rolling_rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #27
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank You all for your input.

Its still a ways away. I love to discuss it because it makes it seem closer some how. My wife is an R.N. I'm actually thinking about just getting as much education as I can with my last years at the FD. I'm the Fire Marshal now so I hear that I can contract to different insurance companies for fire investigations,
plan reviews ect. My wife can be a travel nurse. A lot of people rent their homes out seasonally here and just come back for the summer.
We actually got very lucky when we moved here and got a house on the ocean with a great view. So we are talking about Bed and Breakfast ideas in the summer. Like many of you say their is no guarantees. I just really hate the thought of working my life away and not seeing all we can before I head off to hang with the big man up yonder. . I have a retirement I left in Texas that will allow me to draw 200k off of it. That was going to be my motor home money. I see many on the market that are awesome with low miles for around that price. Then we still have the house payed for both have full medical and we each have our full retirements from Alaska. The medical covers us anywhere. That's the main reason I actually left my FD job in Texas to come here. I got in just before they changed the retirement. Medical isnt an option anymore. I watched my Grand Dad work all his life and take care of all of us only to die broke from heart disease with no insurance. I swore right then I would not let that happen. Who knows what will happen with insurance in the next 10 years Right?
Anyways, thanks for the replies and keep posting your stories its great to learn from each of your experiences.
HoseDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #28
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Smile View

The more I look at the B&B Idea the better it sounds. Lets our house keep generating cash. I have a lot of connections with guides here so we can offer a full package with place to stay and fishing, sight seeing flights, maybe go up from there. I have 3 empty rooms. Probably a ton of good tax right offs since it will be a business. We would plan to be here in the summer anyways, could probably make enough $ during the summer to help with winter travel. Hmm my brains churning now lol. Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to seeing you on the road one day!

HoseDragger is offline   Reply With Quote