Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseDragger View Post
The more I look at the B&B Idea the better it sounds. Lets our house keep generating cash. I have a lot of connections with guides here so we can offer a full package with place to stay and fishing, sight seeing flights, maybe go up from there. I have 3 empty rooms. Probably a ton of good tax right offs since it will be a business. We would plan to be here in the summer anyways, could probably make enough $ during the summer to help with winter travel. Hmm my brains churning now lol. Thanks again everyone. Looking forward to seeing you on the road one day!

HD
Add three RV pads with hook-ups, now people can have a bedroom for other family and their rv for them, Be the first B&B RV in the country... Hey it might work

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #30

Excellent thread, these are things that are always lurking in my head.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #31

I am also on the Early Retirement app. I would just lurk around that forum also and maybe run numbers through FIRE calculator. Hope you flourish on your next stage whatever it is!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #32

My resources were right, so I sold the S&B and live off the $ that was just running thru the house. Take the capital. Live well.
Have fun now. We will all be dead long enough. Never regret enjoying your greatest adventure.
Let the Journey be Your Destination.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #33

We're in the same situation, about three years out for us, and will probably keep the home for a while to see how it all works out. Planning on doing the camp host thing for some of the time to have a nice place to stay, work a little to keep active and visit some of the great parks in the country. Will probably start out in Missouri for convenience and experience. Have talked to several camp hosts at some of the parks we visit and they love it. Most folks we meet in parks are some of the best people and always have a great conversation with them. We have family all over the country that we can drop in for a visit and break. We are completely open to keeping the home or selling it if that seems the way to go. I'm with the majority to keep the home for at least a year or two and the B&B sounds like a pretty good idea. Just remember you will be "working" the summer, but might be an interesting experience. Once established it might become an attractive business for someone to buy and you can downsize as a fall back. The best of luck on whatever you decide.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Bruce & Sarah, We are close, in St. Louis. Four years ago, I enjoyed doing the camp host thing in Eldon Haslet SP at Carlyle Lake, and did the commute on my Tues/ Wed, days off. DW is still working and would leave from campsite at the weekend to go to the workweek. Down side now is, we joined a camping group and enjoy going out one weekend every month to a different place. Thing I miss about hosting, is the meeting new people. Also if you are considering hosting, and your campsite is open, get a tent to do the CG business. That way people are not in your rig. Just added security.
'99 Ultimate Freedom, UKQ38KD, on a Freightliner chassis, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon .... Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #35

You already have a ton of excellent advice that would be difficult if not impossible to improve on.

The thing I'm wondering is why you are not already doing this with vacation time? While we were working I spent 4 of my 5 weeks of vacation time travelling in our RV from the time I was in my mid 30s in the late '70s until my retirement in '94. The other week I spent bow hunting for elk using the RV to stay in. When I had the opportunity to retire at 55 I took it and we spent most of our Summers travelling. DW was a teacher and was still working, but we still had all Summer. When she retired we considered all the things that you are considering, decided to keep our house because our kids, grandkids, and friends were there. Also I have many hobbies that require tools and equipment that will not fit in a MH or trailer. We also decided against moving to another location because, in addition to family being near, most of the activities we like are within easy driving distance of our home. We just couldn't think of anyplace we would like better and by that time we had already seen much of the US. Now I am 76 and she is 69 and looking back I can't think we would want to change a thing. We still spend 2-3 months a year in the RV and travelled about 8-9k miles last year and looking forward to about the same this coming year.

My thought would be to find a affordable RV now and start travelling, time is ticking away as we speak and things do happen.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I'm thinking we're a little further down the exact same road you're looking to travel. I would have been perfectly happy to have purchased the coach and sold the sticks & bricks at nearly the same time. My rationale has always been - regardless of where RVing takes us, I do NOT want to live in the house we currently own in retirement (too much room, taxes too high, neighborhood was great for raising family, working ... but NOT where I want to be in retirement). That said - I view selling the house as inevitable ... which makes it purely a financial decision. Once the decision is viewed as purely a dollars and cents call - selling it early (and avoiding the dual expenses of travelling while maintaining a home) is clearly the most cost effective. My preference has always been to sell the house (which we own outright) and put the cash from the sale aside earmarked as our "escape plan" which would enable us to walk away from RVing whenever we decide we're ready to be stationary again.

My DW on the other hand ... was unwilling to make such a large change without having a better feel for what live in an RV will be like.

Our agreement has been to first, purchase our coach (which we did back in March of this year) while keeping our sticks and bricks home until September 2017. Between now and then (September 2017) - we've agreed to travel as much as we practically can. We're mitigating [some of the cost of home ownership (primarily the cost of utilities) via contributions from our two young adult sons who still live at home. With them living there (and paying for the utilities) - we've got somebody keeping an eye on the place while we're gone and reducing our "out of pocket" expenses to at least some degree (property taxes, homeowner's insurance and any major upkeep expenses are still coming out of my pocket).

In September 2017 - we'll make the call as to where to go next. Sell the house? Sell the coach? ... or come up with a completely different plan?

Having a plan that my wife finds acceptable is obviously important. I'm enjoying the fact that we're making an orderly transition into what I'm hoping will be a full-time situation. This somewhat slower transition has allowed us to explore a number of options - including my ability to continue to work my day job while working remotely from the coach. As a result, my wife is retiring early than originally planned (which removes the biggest obstacle to travelling that we faced). On the flip side, I'm likely going to end up working for a year or two past the date I originally planned to retire - but doing so under an arrangement with my employer that will allow me to work 100% remote.

Keeping your options open ain't a bad thing!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #37

I like your idea but also recommend considering what Selah said as it's accurate.

Also, what do you consider a high end coach to be? I am a nuts and bolts kind of guy meaning I'm into quality as oppose to flash. I wanted the tag axle, Cummins engine with the Allison tranny as the latter two can be serviced most anywhere.

My wife and I removed many of the cabinets so we can reinsulate as the factory job leaves a lot to be desired (lots of gaps and air intrusion). During very hot weather those air gap will tax your a/c and basically make it tough to keep cool. I'm sure the same applies to extreme cold weather as well.

I also plan on removing all the floor tile and installing engineered hard wood floors one day.

If your handy and with the bond most fire fighters have you guys can do the same and turn a good rig into a high quality one. Again it depends on your skill level and what you consider high end. Many coach builders have their own version as too what they considered high end but when you break it down their high end is bling as in most everything being push button and electronic. The exception being Provost and Newell as they are truly high end in the construction part of it. And their price reflects it as well.

Thanks for your service and good luck.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyephoto View Post
Bruce & Sarah, We are close, in St. Louis. Four years ago, I enjoyed doing the camp host thing in Eldon Haslet SP at Carlyle Lake, and did the commute on my Tues/ Wed, days off. DW is still working and would leave from campsite at the weekend to go to the workweek. Down side now is, we joined a camping group and enjoy going out one weekend every month to a different place. Thing I miss about hosting, is the meeting new people. Also if you are considering hosting, and your campsite is open, get a tent to do the CG business. That way people are not in your rig. Just added security.
We may do that some in the next year or so since Babler and Cuivre River are close. DW will still be working but she is home health PT and driving around anyway and i can work the park. We also are members of a camp group and have about 5 meets a year. Great fun and good people.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're right to make plans, but 10 years out is way too far away. If you had asked me what I was going to do 10 years before retirement, it would have been very different from what we're doing now. Both of my daughters got married, bought homes a few miles away and had 4 grandkids. No way would my wife let me leave. I hate California and it's politics, but were here to stay.

Here is something else to think about. Some states, like California and I'm guessing Alaska (booming) are states that once you sell your home, you really can't afford to buy the same house again. That's something to think about if your full timing doesn't work out.

There are ALWAYS exceptions and people are living longer than before, but typically, most start feeling uncomfortable with handling an RV around 75 years old. Health can also cut the full time lifestyle short too. Soooooo......you need to have a place to go when you're done full timing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #40

Planning early retirement. Keep a home or not?

There is always a place to go when you are done with the road. We will never buy another house. We will rent so we can still move, and will never need the spacious homes we had before.
Not getting back into the same saddle that drove us to the freedom of the road makes a lot of sense.
We will stay fulltime until we cannot or change our minds. When we slow down we start to die.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #41

When you sell your home invest the money and you'll be able to purchase something when you're finished full-timing.

We decided to full-time in April and sold everything and took off in August. We had no deadlines on how long; we just wanted to travel and we definitely did not want to return to where we lived. We didn't actively look for another place to settle. We did some volunteering for state and national parks and did everything on our bucket list. We've had awesome experiences and have wonderful friends who were also full-timers. 23 couples settled down in the same area as we did and we'd do anything for each other.

Our kids didn't stay put either. Nowadays they go where the jobs are. They were all for us going full-time. We visited with them in big chunks of time rather than little dabs. Our grandkids grew up with us full-timing and visited us in fun places and even traveled with us. They were truly disappointed to see us stop.

However, we kept returning in winter to a particular area and fell in love with it. We didn't want to deal with snow, ice, tornadoes and we landed in a place that we would have never thought of living. Our last house was 2500 sq ft. Our final house is 1,100 sq ft. with absolutely no yard upkeep. It came completely furnished with good items in a very active 55+ community. After 16 years of traveling we're very content.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #42

Our experience. . . We had a gorgeous 5 acre place in So Cal that took a tremendous amount of time (&$) to upkeep. Neither of us ever intended to FTRV, just take very long trips, but when we were both offered an early retirement package we decided to hit the road without the burden of what I could be doing at home lurking in my mind. First thing we realized was that it is very different to full-time than simply take a 3-4 week trip. I went from driving 300-400 miles a day to get to a destination to preferring to drive 3 hours & stay 3 weeks. We wanted/needed to keep our current medical people, which meant we had to be back in the area at least twice a year. And we still had family in the area. I also found that I had become increasingly intolerant of noisy parents & misbehaving kids that we encountered during the school vacation periods. We recently bought a mobile home lot in a very large adult community in Murrieta, Ca. We're moving the old mobile out & putting a very nice new one in. Parking with full hook-ups for the RV on site. Thanksgiving thru New Years & when school's out during summer, we'll be there.