Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #15

The cruise lines offer cruise/ fly packages, as well as round trip cruise. The Alaska Ferry will sell you passage, but you will either need a room or plan to sleep in the theater or elsewhere.

We simply drive it every year. Did the Ferry with car and room in 1975.

I would suggest you consider moving your visit to Glacier and Yellowstone to the end of your trip. The Going To The Sun Road in Glacier is usually closed by snow until July.

Add the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY to the possibles. Lots of original art and bronze sculpture, firearms, plains Indian, and Buffalo Bill stuff. Rapid City, SD, is handy to Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse ongong sculptue. The Badlands in SD are popular, as is Wall Drug. In ND is the Theodore Rossevlt badlands and Nat Park. We went East to Elkhart April 28, got some work done, then went west this year. Should have gone west to Missoula and north to Kalispell. Much better than crossing at Sweetgrass and on to Calgary.

That will bring you up to Banff. The Icefield Parkway will take you to Jasper. Head east toward Hinton and north the Grand Cache and Grand Praire, and NW to Dawson Creek. Look out for Bison around the Liard River. They love the road right-of-way and may just stand in the road. They are not friendly.

Coming back is the Cassiar Highway at Junction 37 a few miles before Watson Lake. The wife hates that road but it has improved a lot. And there are a lot of large DPs that use it. That will allow you to gow to Hyder later in the year for bear viewing.

You come out on the Yellowhead Highway, and Prince Rupert is right and Prince George is left. From Prince George you go south on 97 in the Fraser River Canyon.

Coastal SE Alaska is vastly different from the rest of the State. You can get a taste of it At Skagway from Whitehorse, of Haines from Haines Junction, or Valdez, or Whittier (just ignore the military concrete architecture) or Seward. Homer is a bit of a hybrid.

Consider a cruise. It will get to all the port towns in SE. It will be comfortable. You won't be worrying about your fridge lacking power. Nice, clean, and simple. If you try the ferry, CALL them and discuss what you want to do and what they offer. You WILL need reservations on some legs and without them it could be weeks before there is a space for you. And you will be always digging in your pocket for $$$ for every little thing that is included on the cruise.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Thanks to all for your opinions.

KentheKanuck - -- What's the advantages to sailing out of Vancouver instead of Seattle? Is there a place to leave my MH and toad for 7-8 days? Maybe at the cruise line parking lot?
My pleasure Pawpa,

In regards to parking I would park in the long term parking lot at the airport, take the shuttle to the main terminal and the SkyTrain to the cruise ship terminal which is at Canada Place and is basically a great big building downtown on the water front. Very poor and expensive parking there and probably only for cars (underground only).

I have heard that the advantage of sailing out of Vancouver ( we have sailed out of Seattle and Vancouver ) is that the ships out of Vancouver go in between the mainland and Vancouver Island which is prettier and calmer than going around the island. The parking in Seattle was a great big lot around the cruise ship terminal and better than Vancouver.

Be careful to plan your driving around Seattle and Vancouver for the non-rush hour. Which shouldn't be any problem as you can't board until 11 or so and you can get off starting around 7.

I don't know what you like to do, but if you like shopping you will be happy in Alaska. There are some great and some not so great shore excursions. Me, I live in this country and don't need to spend $125 to see a rain forest or a whale. But some do. If you are a cheapskate like me there are some things to do in port that are fun and won't cost you much.

Let me know if you are interested in them and type them up.

KTK

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
Great post Terry!

KTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
The cruise lines offer cruise/ fly packages, as well as round trip cruise. The Alaska Ferry will sell you passage, but you will either need a room or plan to sleep in the theater or elsewhere.

We simply drive it every year. Did the Ferry with car and room in 1975.

I would suggest you consider moving your visit to Glacier and Yellowstone to the end of your trip. The Going To The Sun Road in Glacier is usually closed by snow until July.

Add the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY to the possibles. Lots of original art and bronze sculpture, firearms, plains Indian, and Buffalo Bill stuff. Rapid City, SD, is handy to Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse ongong sculptue. The Badlands in SD are popular, as is Wall Drug. In ND is the Theodore Rossevlt badlands and Nat Park. We went East to Elkhart April 28, got some work done, then went west this year. Should have gone west to Missoula and north to Kalispell. Much better than crossing at Sweetgrass and on to Calgary.

That will bring you up to Banff. The Icefield Parkway will take you to Jasper. Head east toward Hinton and north the Grand Cache and Grand Praire, and NW to Dawson Creek. Look out for Bison around the Liard River. They love the road right-of-way and may just stand in the road. They are not friendly.

Coming back is the Cassiar Highway at Junction 37 a few miles before Watson Lake. The wife hates that road but it has improved a lot. And there are a lot of large DPs that use it. That will allow you to gow to Hyder later in the year for bear viewing.

You come out on the Yellowhead Highway, and Prince Rupert is right and Prince George is left. From Prince George you go south on 97 in the Fraser River Canyon.

Coastal SE Alaska is vastly different from the rest of the State. You can get a taste of it At Skagway from Whitehorse, of Haines from Haines Junction, or Valdez, or Whittier (just ignore the military concrete architecture) or Seward. Homer is a bit of a hybrid.

Consider a cruise. It will get to all the port towns in SE. It will be comfortable. You won't be worrying about your fridge lacking power. Nice, clean, and simple. If you try the ferry, CALL them and discuss what you want to do and what they offer. You WILL need reservations on some legs and without them it could be weeks before there is a space for you. And you will be always digging in your pocket for $$$ for every little thing that is included on the cruise.

Whatever you decide, have fun.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Papawto5:

O.K.....give this itinerary a try.

Lv. Indiana and head N. to Sault St. Marie and cross into Ontario picking up Trans Canadian RT. 17 West to Winnipeg.

Just West of Winnipeg at Portage la Prairie, pick up RT. 16 NW to Saskatoon, Lloydminster, and Edmonton.

Just West of Edmonton, pick up RT. 43 N. to Grand Prairie and then RT. 43 West from Grand Prairie to RT. 2 N to DAWSON CREEK (start of the Alaska Hyw.)

Follow Alaska Hwy. WNW on into the Yukon Territory on up to Whitehorse then, just W. of Whitehorse, pick up RT. 2 N. to DAWSON. (Ya GOTTA visit Dawson!!)

When ready to depart Dawon, pick a good weather window ...as in no predicted rain for a day... so ya can take Top of the World Hwy. West out of Dawson (ferry takes ya across river..no problem). You'll get arguments on Top of the World route, BUT HEY, it's the trip of a lifetime and so very doable even in a big rig. It's packed gravel and sand from Dawson to Chicken (60-70 miles) and especially if ya drive it a day AFTER a rain so it keeps the dust down, and don't drive it during a rain, it's a very comfortable route.

Anyway out of Dawson, follow Top of the World Hwy. to Chicken Alaska (ya gotta spend at least an overnight in Chicken) then, just W. of Chicken ya pick up the paved Taylor Hwy. back Southward to pick up RT.2 (Alaska Hwy) W. to TOK, AK.

NOW..from Tok, decide whether ya want to drive the "loop" counter clockwise first N. to Fairbanks, then West to Denali, then South to Anchorage and out to the Kenai S. of Anchorage, .....OR...whether ya want to do it closkwise heading first to Valdez, then over to Anchorage/Kenai and up to Denali, Fairbanks back to Tok on way out.

Either way, DO FOR SURE get out on the Kenai to visit Seward, and of course Homer. Also, DO visit Valdez.

So, whichever direction ya take the loop you'll end up back in Tok heading out of Alaska toward a place called Haines Jct. where ya might want to make a decision. Stay Esly. on Alaska Hwy back to Whitehorse,...or go to Haines. I'd strongly recommend heading South at Haines Jct. on RT. 3 SSE to Haines, Alaska (best kept secret of the trip...gorgeous rivers, mtns. eagles, bears, fishing, etc. etc.). If ya park your rig in Haines, and want to see Skagway across the way on Lynn Canal, take the quick ferry over to Skagway coming back to Haines at night after seeing Skagway and even taking the train ride up the Whitehorse Pass.

Anyway, NOW...at Haines, if you're hell bent on riding the Alaska Ferry System through the beautiful SE Alaska fjords and mtns. etc. ya can put your rig on the ferry right at Haines and head er South. As far as getting off in Juneau, Ketchikan, etc., ya might just want to stay on the ferry down to Prince Rupert, or even on down to the Seattle area since although back in the 60's when I was with the Coast Guard out of Ketchikan when these towns were still more real, they've now evolved into what I feel are less than attractive for stops. Your call, but, know that ya can also take a day boat (shuttle ferry) from Haines down to Juneau and back if you'd like to visit there.

Finally, If ya elect to get off the ferry at Prince Rupert, ya can then migrate Eastward over to Lake Louise/Banff and down to Glacier Park in Montana and down to Yellowstone on your way back toward to Indiana.

THERE!!!.....that's my 2 cents worth.. HAVE A GREAT TRIP.

Steve & Lynette
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Papawto5, We returned form our Alaskan grand tour starting 5/16 and returning on 9/1/2012. A wonderful trip. You can see in on our blog. RVGR8escapes.blogspot .com
Many great experiences, pictures (7000), and some unforeseen problems. Our MH is currently at Winnebago, Forest City for repair for accident damage. Total trip of 14,500 miles form Central New York State (Finger lakes area) and back. You can see the trip through Wyoming. We have to complete the last few stop. If we can answer any questions please ask.
RV735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #20

Excellent information from several sources. Thank you all so much. I hope others keep on making their recommendations for our trip.

We are going to be on the road for 3 to 3 1/2 months (much to the protests of our 5 grandkids). We will probably make this motor home trip only once so we don't want to miss the opportunity to do it right. I know many options are available and people's likes and dislikes are numerous, but my DW and I believe that ANYTHING we haven't seen is worth seeing (with the exception of the green tree tunnels along I-95 in the Carolinas lol).

We can't wait for May 2013 to get here.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #21

A couple of more thoughts..... More of a ramble.

Depending on you speed of travel, leaving in May offers the opportunity to see a LOT of ice on the lakes and along the Liard River. The earlier you get there, the more ice. And some of the ice along the Liard can be impressive. There is also the possibility of snow at Stone Mountain north of Ft Nelson. Don't worry about it. If you run into it you just park in your traffic lane and wait for the plows. They will be along around 10am or so.

You may be a bit later, but some things follow a strict Memorial Day to Labor Day schedule, so not all things may be open.

Fuel will be spendy. This year diesel was mostly $1.19/litre in the south and $1.39 to $1.49/litre in the north. There are 3,8 litres the gallon. Ft St John has stations. Ft Nelson is spendy. Contact Creek is a lot less than anyone, I think they were $1.30, maybe 20 or more miles before Watson Lake. Teslin (YK Motel) has a decent campground, offer a fuel discount and has a small museum/store and a restaurant. Fuel is available just across the US border at Border City.

Most of the road in the Yukon is brushed back to around 150' each side, and most of BC is too, but parts on Northern BC will be a bit close.

We have done the trip in 500 mile segments, but SWMBO now prefers 300 to 400 mile sections. Stayed at the large campground at Banff with all pull-thru sites, a KOA just before Grand Parire, Toad River, Teslin. We just drive to Tok but you may want to do Whitehorse.

Dawson is a good suggestion. Do not try crossing into Alaska in rain And if you go that way plan to spend a good part of the day in Tok parked on the wash rack with brush and hose in hand.

The red flags usually mean trouble as in broken road surface. Sometimes they get left long after the problem is fixed. Hit the brake when you see one. Also watch the right hand white stripe. When it wiggles a lot there is a warning. The worst is from Kluane Lake to the Border, but it could be anywhere north of Ft Nelson.

Keep up the good attitude, enjoy the trip.