Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Planning for Alaska in 2013

Our plan is to leave Indiana in late May. Slide along the Canadian/U.S. border (on the south side). Visit Glacier and Yellowstone. End up in Seattle.

Here's where I need your help. Jumping on a cruise ship out of Seattle and visiting Ketchikan, Juneau, the inside passage, etc. seems to be cheaper than ferrying the MH and toad to each port AND seems cheaper than traveling roundtrip from Prince Rupert to Skagway on the ferry system. We realize that we will be rushed to catch the local flavor in the brief visits in a few of the ports BUT probably the cruise port citiies have been ruined by the on rush of tourists like us. We figure that we will see thousands of wonderful sites in Alaska when we wander in our motorhome for 40-50 more days following the cruise. Are we thinking right????

When we leave Alaska in early August, we will head home by way of Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, etc.

Your thoughts please. Thanx a lot.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'm confused. What options are you actually considering? Is driving to Alaska one of them (no ferry at all)? The ferry is considerably more expensive than driving, but less wear and tear on the RV and yourself from the long drive.

If you want to visit the SE Alaska area, then cruise or ferry is your only option. But as you say, those are more tourist sites than real Alaska these days.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you are cruising to Alaska and then motor-homing back, where do you plan to meet up with the motor-home and how are you getting it there?

I am somewhat confused on your itinerary.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you are cruising to Alaska and then motor-homing back, where do you plan to meet up with the motor-home and how are you getting it there?

I am somewhat confused on your itinerary.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Sorry about the vagueness. Sorry about the following wordiness. We really do want to experience the coastline of Alaska and a few of the ports of call.

Option 1 - - Head up thru the Canadian Rockies and tour Alaska for 45-55 days and then go to Prince Rupert and take a round trip on the ferry system without the MH and toad. Just go for the ride. Seemingly cheaper than a cruise when figuring the cabin, ticket costs, and layover costs. Downside - 1) making connections and reservations for layovers (since one ferry does not go from PR to Skagway non-stop), 2) cost of a couple of layovers edges the cost up towards the cost of a cruise (without the more leisurely layovers of a cruise).

Option 2 - - Head to Vancouver (after visiting Glacier and Yellowstone) and do a Seattle to Seattle cruise up to Skagway. We would leave the MH and toad in Seattle and then continue up to Alaska when the cruise gets back to Seattle.

Option 3 - - Do the ferry WITH the MH and toad. Leave from Prince Rupert and end up in Skagway. Downside - - 1) the cost seems over the top, 2) the on and off planning seems to be enormous (unless I pay more money to have someone else to plan it all out), 3) can we find places to set up the MH in some of the small ports of call?.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill concerning the perceived difficulty in planning and the cost for getting on and off of the ferry (with or without the MH and toad)? Is driving up to Skagway worth the time/money versus taking the ferry (with its huge expense)?

Putting this "down on paper" is causing me to lean towards the cruise. What's your opinion? I hope someone out there has experienced what I'm asking about. Thanx for the help.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If it was me (and it was), I'd just plan this in two parts. Taking a motorhome to the SE ports is a royal pain. The only ones you can really get to is by road is Skagway and Haines, the others require the ferry. Which is really expensive and complicated. One thing you might not have thought of is battery life. Can your rig go 2-3 days with no shore power or generator (or solar)? And no propane for your fridge? Because if you're in an overnight ferry, you won't have any of those.

So do a cruise to/from Seattle for those. Then do a road trip for the rest of the state.

One alternative is to ship your RV to Seward or Whittier, take a one-way cruise, then drive back. There are freight lines that will take the RV as cargo cheaper than the ferry. Shipping Vehicles, Boats & RVs | Totem Ocean Trailer Express

joe
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Whenever you put a motor-home and your toad onto a ferry, figure on BIG BUCKS especially if you take it from Seattle or Vancouver all the way to Whittier or Valdez stopping at as many ports as you want.

To see the inside passage of Alaska, a cruise ship and flight back is the most coast effective. Then another trip via motor-home up the Cassier or Alaskan Highway's allowing you to drive around the bulk of Alaska is another great trip.

Or cruise up to Anchorage, rent a motor-home and then travel as much as you want around the state and fly back.

There are many options, it's all a matter of dollars and what you want to do and see.

We will be leaving soon as winter has arrived earlier than expected in Fairbanks so we are heading south for warmer weather next Monday. It has been a wonderful summer to spend up here especially when the entire lower 48 was baking in 100F heat for most of the summer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
I live in the Vancouver area and my wife grabs us Alaska cruises when she can get a deal. Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver cost us around $1,100.00 each all in earlier this year.
Now remember that is food, entertainment, room and travel all for less than a $100/day.

I cannot tell you what the drive is like from the Yukon border but I can tell you that the further north you go in BC the less the scenery changes. In the southern half of the province in a day's drive you can go from temperate coastal rain forest to alpine to desert to prairie to the Rockies.

One more thing if you want to cruise the inside passage leave from Vancouver.

HTH

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTheKanuck View Post
I live in the Vancouver area and my wife grabs us Alaska cruises when she can get a deal. Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver cost us around $1,100.00 each all in earlier this year.
Now remember that is food, entertainment, room and travel all for less than a $100/day.

I cannot tell you what the drive is like from the Yukon border but I can tell you that the further north you go in BC the less the scenery changes. In the southern half of the province in a day's drive you can go from temperate coastal rain forest to alpine to desert to prairie to the Rockies.

One more thing if you want to cruise the inside passage leave from Vancouver.

HTH

KTK
Thanks to all for your opinions.

KentheKanuck - -- What's the advantages to sailing out of Vancouver instead of Seattle? Is there a place to leave my MH and toad for 7-8 days? Maybe at the cruise line parking lot?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We have done both taken an Alaska cruise and have driven our RV to Alaska. The cruise is great with all the service & food provided, etc. but you are limited in the time you spend in a port. As you mention a cruise is the only way to visit some of the locations. We think we did enjoy more so the drive up and back and are planning on doing it again perhaps this coming May. Either way I think you'll enjoy the trip.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I drove from home, San Francisco Bay Area, and considered the trip part of the destination. Enjoyed every moment other than refueling. I eventually joined a caravan which was very nice as most expenses were prepaid and stopping for the night and tourist attractions were handled in advance. I would not hesitate to return on my own but in some cases I would park the RV and drive in the towed.

Plan your trip so you can see the Northern Lights.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #11

I would hate to be traveling and not have our MH. There is so much to see/do up here that it can be overwelming at times. Have you thought about driving up in the MH and going to what coastal towns you would like to visit and take the TOAD, for short trips? I know people that have taken the 'inside' passage trip and have enjoyed it but would rather drive up and be able to stay longer at some places.
You have time to plan, and attempt to figure out where you will get the 'most bang for the buck'!
Either way take the time and enjoy the trip.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #12

We looked at similar options last year. The added costs as well as the wear and tear on the rig led us to just fly into Anchorage and rent a Class C and tour the state that way. It was fun and we still got to see the state. We can do the cruise at some other time so we just decided this was the cheapest and easiest route to go.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Wow, I can't wait for our trip to Alaska, I think I just bumbed it up to 2014 next year is completely booked with other trips already planned and booked. Isn't retirement great!
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Misspelled bump and there should be a period after 2013, sorry.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote